- 15,550 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2012 - Deals Last post on 7/7/13 at 8:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. Last post on 10/24/12 at 6:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Choosing between ATH M50 vs Philips Fidelio L1 Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Pairing of Headphones to Song in your collection Last post on 9/27/12 at 11:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time of the review, the Venture Electronics Zen was on sale on the company’s Aliexpress store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Lumia 640 LTE I never owned a portable device (apart from a Sony Walkman in the 80's) because I never felt the use of it. Just out of curiosity, not expecting much, I plugged my Sony MDR-Z7 in my...
MEElectronics/MEEaudio Introduction My experience with IEMs is short lived, but I've had fair enough experience to give you proper detailing. I mainly use detachable only, and can report from...
Introduction In audio circles, the word "endgame" generally refers to a headphone or audio chain component that is practically without fault, and performs at a high enough level to...
Would never dreamed of buying a pair of Beats but end up finding a pair for a rock bottom price(1/3 of the normal retail) so I thought what the heck. Just a side note, since they were...
KOSS ESP-950 Thread - Page 54post #796 of 18954/19/13 at 11:21pmI absolutely love the LCD2. I just have an impulsive instinct to try new gear, even if im happy with what I have.post #797 of 18954/20/13 at 12:46ampost #798 of 18954/20/13 at 1:14ampost #799 of 18954/20/13 at 1:30ampost #800 of 18954/20/13 at 3:10amThanks guys. lcd2.2 it is.
I know i have to get one of the stats as well, but thinking which direction should i go, stax 507 or esp950. i know it would cost more to go with the stax route due to the amp cost.
Now Envy, i saw you have tried stax 407, which can represent a good amount 507 taste. what do you think it is compared to esp950?post #801 of 18954/20/13 at 3:28amLol, I haven't demoed the ESP950 yet. Time will tell. Someone just told me they'd lend it to me today, so I have to wait. I doubt I'll be able to compare directly though. The 407 setup has to be shipped by Tuesday.
All I know is that the 407 sounds like a very refined Q701 without the upper mid peak, more fleshed out bass, and infinite control and extension in the treble. Linear sounding, neutral tonality, and very, VERY quick. Clarity in spades. Seriously, even as an entry level Stax... it just completely blew me away.
Not certain the ESP 950 will match it, but it will be interesting to compare to the LCD2. I felt the 407 compared quite well with the LCD2 despite difference in tonality. While the LCD2 had better depth and dimensional sound (407 sounded more 2D-ish in comparison), clarity was on equal terms, and the 407 gobbled the LCD2 in treble precision. Even if the LCD2 was smoother/more rolled off in the treble than the 407, the 407's treble still managed to sound less harsh. That electrostatic voodoo.
Still, the LCD2 was more emotional and organic. Its just a very natural, lifelike sound to me. The 407 was definitely not sterile sounding by any means, but can't match that planar tonality. I still felt it was technically more pure than the LCD2. I guess it's like comparing an HD600 to the 650. Two different kinds of awesome.
Oh yes, the 407's bass is pretty damn good. In the realm of neutral, but it has bite.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/20/13 at 7:33ampost #802 of 18954/21/13 at 8:08pm
The more I look at the ESP-950 the more I think it's ok aesthetically. I also see that it's about HD800 weight. That should be a nice heft, making it feel more solid and less plasticy.
My only concern is the bass, how is it? Are there any comparisons to HD650 and HE-400? If it's anything like HD650 bass I don't want it. I would have imagined that with 7 inch drivers it would have amazing extension. Guess the pads don't seal too well.
This FR graph by Purrin shows that the ESP-950 (blue) is remarkably as linear as the HE-90 (red) minus the rolloff in the bass and extreme treble. It's that rolloff in bass (starting at 100hz) that I'm worried about.
Edited by TMRaven - 4/21/13 at 8:14pmpost #803 of 18954/21/13 at 8:49pm
The ESP-950 has enough bass for non-bass heads. I haven't heard the HD-650, but I've heard HD-800s and HE-500s, plus the Audezes. I found the HD-800 lacking in bass, but I also didn't have the right equipment to drive it to its best performance. No worries about that with the Koss, it comes with its own power. I found the HE-500 bass to be flabby, particularly compared to Audeze's cans, which do bass exceptionally well. The ESP-950 isn't in the LCD's class for bass, but it pretty accurately puts out the bass that's in the recording, without over-emphasizing it. What the Koss does deliver is clean. Just about every sound it puts out is clean and accurate.
As to heft... well, these phones don't have much. But because they don't weigh much, they are easy to wear. Not as comfortable as HD-800s, but the -800s are among the easiest cans to wear, The Koss are much lighter than my LCD-3s, but the pleather pads are not as nice as the LCD-3s' very soft leather, and I've gotten used to the LCDs' weight so I actually prefer the comfort of the Audezes. I do find the Koss more comfortable than my T1s, which have more clamping force..
They are plasticy, and clearly not made of the finest quality materials. On the other hand, they are e-stats that can be had for well under $1K, they have a lifetime warranty, and honestly I couldn't care less what my headphones look like, since I can't see them when I'm wearing them anyway, and when I'm not wearing them, I don't pay any attention to them at all.
Hope that helps.
post #804 of 18954/21/13 at 8:56pmWhile the bass roll off seems steep, the mid bass is just slightly under all that linearity. That's something normally seen off dynamic cans, so while the sub bass is definitely gonna be lacking, the mid bass seems fine. I did hear that these supposedly have more bass than Lambdas, so I'm not worried as I feel the SR-407 has plenty of bass for a tonally neutral-ish can. Certainly not basshead levels, but within the real of neutral. I can jam to EDM with the 407. I'm sure the ESP950 will ne no different, if not better. I get these probably in 2 days on loan, so I'll let you know if the bass is lacking to me.post #805 of 18954/21/13 at 9:10pmpost #806 of 18954/21/13 at 10:02pm
Thankfully the rolloff isn't as apparent on IF's graphs for the esp-950 than Purrin's. Purrin's graph doesn't show esp-950 to have a mid-bass hump like a dynamic, it's just a completely flat response, but tilted warm.
Will really be looking forward to MLE's impressions of it.post #807 of 18954/22/13 at 1:38amQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
While the bass roll off seems steep, the mid bass is just slightly under all that linearity. That's something normally seen off dynamic cans, so while the sub bass is definitely gonna be lacking, the mid bass seems fine. I did hear that these supposedly have more bass than Lambdas, so I'm not worried as I feel the SR-407 has plenty of bass for a tonally neutral-ish can. Certainly not basshead levels, but within the real of neutral. I can jam to EDM with the 407. I'm sure the ESP950 will ne no different, if not better. I get these probably in 2 days on loan, so I'll let you know if the bass is lacking to me.
I don't think TMRaven is worried about bass quantity, but rather sub-bass extension and coherence, so hopefully you could do some sinewave generator action around 20-40 Hz.post #808 of 18954/22/13 at 3:18amQuote:
I tried the esp 950 with a kgss and compared to stock amp and its very hard to tell the improvements. So no, it isn't rubbish amp(sound wise).
Edited by BoogieWoogie - 4/22/13 at 4:05ampost #809 of 18954/22/13 at 3:26amQuote:
That's because you're def.
- KOSS ESP-950 Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › 2015 Central Florida Summer Meet @ LiveSoundWave Impressions 21 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 31 seconds ago
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Upgrade from HD598+Fiio E10 ($600~$700 Budget) 4 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs Element 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 5 minutes ago
- › Should I buy a portable amp for my FiiO X1 or just buy a better DAP ? 7 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 7 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3