- 16,273 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2012 - Deals Last post on 7/7/13 at 8:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. Last post on 10/24/12 at 6:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Choosing between ATH M50 vs Philips Fidelio L1 Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Pairing of Headphones to Song in your collection Last post on 9/27/12 at 11:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
I've owned this for about 6 months when I bought it direct from China. As a 68 year old it took me back to a time when I used to go to live concerts. But there were hidden costs involved. Firstly...
I`ve had the ATH-A900 LTD in 10 years and they still play very well indeed! I checked out the sound quality this week against the best they had in our local hi-fi store and the ones I heard wasn`t...
BRIEF SUMMARY The HD800 has always been my goal ever since I started on my audio journey 5 years ago, but I was into portable audio back then and the price of the HD800 were fairly expensive so...
KOSS ESP-950 Thread - Page 54post #796 of 22234/19/13 at 11:21pmI absolutely love the LCD2. I just have an impulsive instinct to try new gear, even if im happy with what I have.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #797 of 22234/20/13 at 12:46ampost #798 of 22234/20/13 at 1:14ampost #799 of 22234/20/13 at 1:30ampost #800 of 22234/20/13 at 3:10amThanks guys. lcd2.2 it is.
I know i have to get one of the stats as well, but thinking which direction should i go, stax 507 or esp950. i know it would cost more to go with the stax route due to the amp cost.
Now Envy, i saw you have tried stax 407, which can represent a good amount 507 taste. what do you think it is compared to esp950?post #801 of 22234/20/13 at 3:28amLol, I haven't demoed the ESP950 yet. Time will tell. Someone just told me they'd lend it to me today, so I have to wait. I doubt I'll be able to compare directly though. The 407 setup has to be shipped by Tuesday.
All I know is that the 407 sounds like a very refined Q701 without the upper mid peak, more fleshed out bass, and infinite control and extension in the treble. Linear sounding, neutral tonality, and very, VERY quick. Clarity in spades. Seriously, even as an entry level Stax... it just completely blew me away.
Not certain the ESP 950 will match it, but it will be interesting to compare to the LCD2. I felt the 407 compared quite well with the LCD2 despite difference in tonality. While the LCD2 had better depth and dimensional sound (407 sounded more 2D-ish in comparison), clarity was on equal terms, and the 407 gobbled the LCD2 in treble precision. Even if the LCD2 was smoother/more rolled off in the treble than the 407, the 407's treble still managed to sound less harsh. That electrostatic voodoo.
Still, the LCD2 was more emotional and organic. Its just a very natural, lifelike sound to me. The 407 was definitely not sterile sounding by any means, but can't match that planar tonality. I still felt it was technically more pure than the LCD2. I guess it's like comparing an HD600 to the 650. Two different kinds of awesome.
Oh yes, the 407's bass is pretty damn good. In the realm of neutral, but it has bite.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/20/13 at 7:33ampost #802 of 22234/21/13 at 8:08pm
The more I look at the ESP-950 the more I think it's ok aesthetically. I also see that it's about HD800 weight. That should be a nice heft, making it feel more solid and less plasticy.
My only concern is the bass, how is it? Are there any comparisons to HD650 and HE-400? If it's anything like HD650 bass I don't want it. I would have imagined that with 7 inch drivers it would have amazing extension. Guess the pads don't seal too well.
This FR graph by Purrin shows that the ESP-950 (blue) is remarkably as linear as the HE-90 (red) minus the rolloff in the bass and extreme treble. It's that rolloff in bass (starting at 100hz) that I'm worried about.
Edited by TMRaven - 4/21/13 at 8:14pmpost #803 of 22234/21/13 at 8:49pm
The ESP-950 has enough bass for non-bass heads. I haven't heard the HD-650, but I've heard HD-800s and HE-500s, plus the Audezes. I found the HD-800 lacking in bass, but I also didn't have the right equipment to drive it to its best performance. No worries about that with the Koss, it comes with its own power. I found the HE-500 bass to be flabby, particularly compared to Audeze's cans, which do bass exceptionally well. The ESP-950 isn't in the LCD's class for bass, but it pretty accurately puts out the bass that's in the recording, without over-emphasizing it. What the Koss does deliver is clean. Just about every sound it puts out is clean and accurate.
As to heft... well, these phones don't have much. But because they don't weigh much, they are easy to wear. Not as comfortable as HD-800s, but the -800s are among the easiest cans to wear, The Koss are much lighter than my LCD-3s, but the pleather pads are not as nice as the LCD-3s' very soft leather, and I've gotten used to the LCDs' weight so I actually prefer the comfort of the Audezes. I do find the Koss more comfortable than my T1s, which have more clamping force..
They are plasticy, and clearly not made of the finest quality materials. On the other hand, they are e-stats that can be had for well under $1K, they have a lifetime warranty, and honestly I couldn't care less what my headphones look like, since I can't see them when I'm wearing them anyway, and when I'm not wearing them, I don't pay any attention to them at all.
Hope that helps.
post #804 of 22234/21/13 at 8:56pmWhile the bass roll off seems steep, the mid bass is just slightly under all that linearity. That's something normally seen off dynamic cans, so while the sub bass is definitely gonna be lacking, the mid bass seems fine. I did hear that these supposedly have more bass than Lambdas, so I'm not worried as I feel the SR-407 has plenty of bass for a tonally neutral-ish can. Certainly not basshead levels, but within the real of neutral. I can jam to EDM with the 407. I'm sure the ESP950 will ne no different, if not better. I get these probably in 2 days on loan, so I'll let you know if the bass is lacking to me.post #805 of 22234/21/13 at 9:10pmpost #806 of 22234/21/13 at 10:02pm
Thankfully the rolloff isn't as apparent on IF's graphs for the esp-950 than Purrin's. Purrin's graph doesn't show esp-950 to have a mid-bass hump like a dynamic, it's just a completely flat response, but tilted warm.
Will really be looking forward to MLE's impressions of it.post #807 of 22234/22/13 at 1:38amQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
While the bass roll off seems steep, the mid bass is just slightly under all that linearity. That's something normally seen off dynamic cans, so while the sub bass is definitely gonna be lacking, the mid bass seems fine. I did hear that these supposedly have more bass than Lambdas, so I'm not worried as I feel the SR-407 has plenty of bass for a tonally neutral-ish can. Certainly not basshead levels, but within the real of neutral. I can jam to EDM with the 407. I'm sure the ESP950 will ne no different, if not better. I get these probably in 2 days on loan, so I'll let you know if the bass is lacking to me.
I don't think TMRaven is worried about bass quantity, but rather sub-bass extension and coherence, so hopefully you could do some sinewave generator action around 20-40 Hz.post #808 of 22234/22/13 at 3:18amQuote:
I tried the esp 950 with a kgss and compared to stock amp and its very hard to tell the improvements. So no, it isn't rubbish amp(sound wise).
Edited by BoogieWoogie - 4/22/13 at 4:05ampost #809 of 22234/22/13 at 3:26amQuote:
That's because you're def.
- KOSS ESP-950 Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp 3 seconds ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 1 minute ago
- › MINI AUDIO MA01 - SPEC & PHOTOS (DX100 Successor!!) 1 minute ago
- › Brimar v Mullard CV4014 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Need reccomendation on closed back headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 2 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 4 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › ampsandsound Mogwai Single-Ended Amplifier by dmhenley
- › Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone by moedawg140
- › RHA MA750 by bobghosh
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...