or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › KOSS ESP-950 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KOSS ESP-950 Thread - Page 84

post #1246 of 2323
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
 

 

It's more likely that we'd put out a hit on anybody trying to use those to populate a PCB... 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

post #1247 of 2323

post #1248 of 2323

Just received a used ESP-950 headphone/amp off Ebay.  Purchased only because of the condition and price- mint like new 350.00.

Not sure of age, but the original box and some literature reads 1991/1992!  Anyway, the headphones and amp are perfect but the foam dust covers inside the cups are deteriorating and making a mess.  Hooked them up and wow, I wasnt expecting much but these sound great.

 

I have no squealing, but I do get the occasional russling/static or rushing water sound if I yawn or break the seal between headphone pad and skin.  Also, they have the similar popping or Stax fart.

 

This happens only occasionally but dont forget, I may have a really old pair so...

 

Still cant believe they sound this good for 350.00.  :)

post #1249 of 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteGarage View Post

Just received a used ESP-950 headphone/amp off Ebay.  Purchased only because of the condition and price- mint like new @ 350.00.
Not sure of age, but the original box and some literature reads 1991/1992!  Anyway, the headphones and amp are perfect but the foam dust covers inside the cups are deteriorating and making a mess.  Hooked them up and wow, I wasnt expecting much but these sound great.

I have no squealing, but I do get the occasional russling/static or rushing water sound if I yawn or break the seal between headphone pad and skin.  Also, they have the similar popping or Stax fart.

This happens only occasionally but dont forget, I may have a really old pair so...

Still cant believe they sound this good for 350.00.  smily_headphones1.gif
I think part of buying new from manufacturer is the lifetime warranty so I never have to worry about squeal problems or deteriorating foam. Still not worth buying for $1000 when you can get it when they have sales for $600 new like they did on Cyber Monday.
post #1250 of 2323

Bought mine for $600 as well.  The Koss ESP950 with a really good source does make a very musical combo.   I'm quite impress with the way these sound even with the stock amplifier.  

post #1251 of 2323

Wow $350? That makes it officially the lowest I've seen these sell for. Regardless of condition, that's what that lifetime warranty is for given the headphone or amp hasn't been tampered with.

post #1252 of 2323

I bought a pair new (open box) on that theory.  They squealed.  They've been back to Koss five, count 'em, five times.  Every return pair squealed.  I even took to marking the insides to see if they were really swapping drivers (they were).  I gave up.  I have a pair of ESP/950s in a box waiting for a day when I have time to do destructive testing.

 

Lifetime warranty is useless when Koss can't fix 'em.  And looking at Koss's financials they may not last another year (which is exceedingly sad in its own right).

 

[edit: they've been back five times, this is the sixth pair]


Edited by xiphmont - 12/12/13 at 6:31pm
post #1253 of 2323

Again, the issues I have with my pair are minor and I usually have to try on purpose to make them act up.  Not worth sending them to Koss as they work okay and Im happy with them.

 

I did email Koss asap about the foam issue when I received, and they said send em in, we will check them out and replace / repair free.  Just send 8 or $9.00 with the phones for return shipping I think.  Thats some service right there...

 

post #1254 of 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteGarage View Post

 

The leather they use on the pads is so interesting. They looked really dull brand new, but it seems designed to shine and get conditioned naturally by your facial grease/sweat. The more you use it, the better it gets. :o

post #1255 of 2323
Xiphmont- I wouldn't be happy either, that's got to be frustrating.

Just for something to do, I ordered connectors to make an adapter. Gonna try em with my other amps.
Edited by CorvetteGarage - 12/12/13 at 7:49pm
post #1256 of 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteGarage View Post

Xiphmont- I wouldn't be happy either, that's got to be frustrating.

Just for something to do, I ordered connectors to make an adapter. Gonna try em with my other amps.

 

Still waiting on mine to get back from Koss ...

 

Also, ordered a Stax SRM-252S to use instead of the Koss energizer; waiting for it too ... all this waiting. Ugh.

 

;-)

post #1257 of 2323

Little change in topic here, as I've had my 950s since 1993, luckily with no problems and therefore no reason to send them in to Koss. I'm pretty well aware of what they're capable of, although I'm curious about large and small ways to extend that capability.

 

One thing I did a while back, for the first time, was to use an external DAC, in my case just getting the adaptor and plugging in the DAC portion of my portable headphone amp, a Fiio E17, for computer listening on a Mac using iTunes. It sounded fantastic compared with the output of my computers.

 

I then figured I could do better, and got a ODAC. I have to say, for a tiny investment, this is an incredible step up. In addition to the usual things that you would expect to hear--tighter everything, but bass in particular, less digital noise, better instrumental separation, smoother high end, wider and deeper soundstage--I'm hearing far better differentiation of height information. I wonder whether this unexpected result is headphone-specific to the step-up in DAC, or whether 950 owners have heard this in other headphones they own as well when they change DACs.

 

I have to say, I didn't expect this at all--I don't often listen to vinyl through headphones, and haven't done it much in decades, but I haven't discerned much height information while doing so, even though I do hear tons of it through my speakers.

post #1258 of 2323

I got that 9V 3.00A regulated AC adapter today, and I have to say it does address my biggest concern on the transparency. While it's still not the last word in transparency, it's definitely helped a noticeable amount, especially for fast-paced, congested tracks like rock music. For $30, it's definitely worth considering.

 

Also for fun, I hooked up a subwoofer and with crossover at 100 Hz to compensate for the bass roll off. Defeated the purpose of headphones not disturbing others, but it sounds pretty good. :D Only the bass having a much larger soundstage and slower is a bit odd and takes away from the coherency of the overall sound.


Edited by Sonido - 12/14/13 at 12:34pm
post #1259 of 2323

Has anyone else found the 3.5mm port to have better sound quality than the RCA ports? Seems to remove another layer of veil.

post #1260 of 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

I got that 9V 3.00A regulated AC adapter today, and I have to say it does address my biggest concern on the transparency. While it's still not the last word in transparency, it's definitely helped a noticeable amount, especially for fast-paced, congested tracks like rock music. For $30, it's definitely worth considering.

 

Also for fun, I hooked up a subwoofer and with crossover at 100 Hz to compensate for the bass roll off. Defeated the purpose of headphones not disturbing others, but it sounds pretty good. :D Only the bass having a much larger soundstage and slower is a bit odd and takes away from the coherency of the overall sound.

Where did you buy the upgrade PSU?  Please share link if possible.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › KOSS ESP-950 Thread