Let me understand you here G. You only heard the 950s on the stock amp - not on a BHSE or a KGSSHV? If this is the case it an unfair fight from the start. If you want to sell them I'll be your huckleberry
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2012 - Deals Last post on 7/7/13 at 8:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. Last post on 10/24/12 at 6:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Choosing between ATH M50 vs Philips Fidelio L1 Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Pairing of Headphones to Song in your collection Last post on 9/27/12 at 11:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
NOTE: This is my first review and I'm a budding audio enthusiast. This is no pro review, just a newb trying to put audio nuances to words. These are my first pair of Balanced Armatures and I am...
Background In about 1990, when Joseph Grado was designing his HMP-1 Holographic Scalera Scanner (perfectly-matched pair of microphones for recording), he needed some detailed, neutral...
Creative's Sound Blaster E1 If you want to cover your bases with a do-all headphone accessory, the E1 is a good start. Affordable, well featured, inexpensive, the E1 is Creative's entry-level...
Firstly like to thank Chuck from 1964 Ears for organising the Pendulumic Stance S1+ headphones for this review. Pendulumic is a relatively new company in the headphone world, and...
Introduction: RHA is a fairly new audio company that has made quite a splash recently with their MA750 and T10 IEMs. RHA has recently announced their new T20 IEM which is due to be released...
KOSS ESP-950 Thread - Page 78post #1156 of 189010/15/13 at 8:06ampost #1157 of 189010/15/13 at 9:37am
You understand correctly: I have only used the stock 950 amp, but since Koss designed and sells the system together as a package, I consider that to be a completely fair fight. They could have included a Stax-terminated extension cable instead of an amp, and sold the 950s for significantly less... but they didn't.
As far as I am concerned, the ESP-950 slots perfectly into the $600-750 price range, with the E90 amp. As shipped, it can't compete with the big boys, but it isn't priced like them either.post #1158 of 189010/15/13 at 4:36pm
Thank you guys for your comparisons, especially G in MD. This makes my purchasing decision much more difficult. I wanted to get an emotiva mini X + HE6 as a possible endgame for a couple years until I thought maybe my first pair of electrostats might well do it for me. Now that I know where the Koss stands, I might have to debate everything a bit.post #1159 of 189010/15/13 at 7:14pmpost #1160 of 189010/15/13 at 7:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Koerhijo
I have been browsing this thread (read about twenty pages) and didn't find too many recent posts regarding the Koss ESP-950 vs. the SRS-2170. If there are some posts, I apologize!
I am debating about getting the Koss currently, but someone recommended the SRS-2170 to me.
Here is what I have heard about the ESP-950s:
Bass slam/impact is the most out of basically any electrostatic headphones
The bass extension rolls off
The upper end also rolls off
Is this accurate? What should I expect as far as differences in the two headphone systems? I plan to use the amps that come with each one, so keep that in mind.
Side note - do I need a different DAC than the Schiit Modi (for either set up)?
Did you read the 2nd. post over at the Stax entry level thread?
Why dont you read---instead of double posting,all over the forums?post #1161 of 189010/15/13 at 7:21pmQuote:
I posted this before I read the reply on the other one. It's okay.
I'll edit this post to reflect this new knowledge, and also to focus on my second question.post #1162 of 189010/15/13 at 9:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by goldenSHK
Thanks for the reply. So what do these sound better than in every way? The LCD2? HD650? HE500? Give me a somewhat rough place marker if you have done direct comparisons before. This can isn't in the battle of the flagships thread so I'm very lost with the lack of information about what kind of performance to expect from these bad boys.
I have only heard the LCD2 a couple of times, it definitely has better bass than 950, resolution is maybe about the same. Very brief auditions at meets.
I have not heard the HD650 and HE500.
Someone once claimed the 950 SQ is roughly at the same level as HE5 (the original wood phones, not LE), though of different flavor of course, so I would guess it is probably around the HE500 level as well.post #1163 of 189010/16/13 at 5:13amQuote:
Your Modi is fine.post #1164 of 189010/16/13 at 9:59amQuote:
I plan on re-purchasing the 950 and trying with KGSSHV. Heard the 950 on the Electra prototype and was surprised at the size and heft of the sound...Quote:
At RMAF, I asked Koss to pass on that we'd like a Stax-terminated cable option as well as a "premium pad" option. We're a niche market, but we can ask (and hope)!post #1165 of 189010/16/13 at 1:33pm
Certainly no harm in asking, but Koss already sells extension cables for ~$15. If we can afford a quality Stax amp, we can afford to pay somebody to mod that cable... and voila, problem fixed for the few of us interested in the upgrade, without Koss having to do anything special. That seems like the best approach to me... and probably to them too!post #1166 of 189010/16/13 at 2:02pmpost #1167 of 189010/16/13 at 4:34pm
I would guess most around here are using an adaptor to hook it up to Stax amps or a transformer box. I have 620v bias in my transformer boxes and the 950's bass is still not quite powerful enough. There is only so much the electrostatic driver can do.post #1168 of 189010/16/13 at 6:38pmpost #1169 of 189010/20/13 at 1:12am
- KOSS ESP-950 Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Objectivists board room 45 seconds ago
- › Headphones 300$ max. 1 minute ago
- › Looking for to buy some IEM/Headphones. 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 4 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Is a soundcard worth it for CS GO and other FPS if i have AD700x? 6 minutes ago
- › VSonic VSD5 Impressions/Appreciation Thread. VSonic's answer to... 6 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › Joseph Grado HPA-1 by kayandjohn
- › Creative Sound Blaster E1 Portable Headphone Amplifier with... by Evshrug
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluetooth Wireless Headphones by pformagg
- › RHA T20 by Cotnijoe
- › VE Zen by boneofimba
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by xkonfuzed
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)