Let me understand you here G. You only heard the 950s on the stock amp - not on a BHSE or a KGSSHV? If this is the case it an unfair fight from the start. If you want to sell them I'll be your huckleberry
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2012 - Deals Last post on 7/7/13 at 8:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. Last post on 10/24/12 at 6:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Choosing between ATH M50 vs Philips Fidelio L1 Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Pairing of Headphones to Song in your collection Last post on 9/27/12 at 11:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Thanks to Greed for a 10-day loan of his Ref 1 set, which I fully burnt-in and auditioned. This set had the uber cable. Super Brief Review (it's all just what my ears heard, if you love your...
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
Read a ton of reviews before purchasing. However, I will be honest and say that I was a bit let down by the bass. Don't get me wrong, its very detailed and balanced and perhaps there lies my issue,...
Schiit Ragnarok: Is It Love, or Is It Just Schiit? Introduction: This part is just to give you some background on my experience and how I’ve arrived at the Schiit Ragnarok before...
my repost from: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623894/review-logitech-ue9000-ultimate-ears-headphones-released-the-ue4000-ue6000-and-the-ue9000-impressions-thread/930 Just my two cents, to me, I feel...
KOSS ESP-950 Thread - Page 78post #1156 of 141810/15/13 at 8:06am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1157 of 141810/15/13 at 9:37am
You understand correctly: I have only used the stock 950 amp, but since Koss designed and sells the system together as a package, I consider that to be a completely fair fight. They could have included a Stax-terminated extension cable instead of an amp, and sold the 950s for significantly less... but they didn't.
As far as I am concerned, the ESP-950 slots perfectly into the $600-750 price range, with the E90 amp. As shipped, it can't compete with the big boys, but it isn't priced like them either.post #1158 of 141810/15/13 at 4:36pm
Thank you guys for your comparisons, especially G in MD. This makes my purchasing decision much more difficult. I wanted to get an emotiva mini X + HE6 as a possible endgame for a couple years until I thought maybe my first pair of electrostats might well do it for me. Now that I know where the Koss stands, I might have to debate everything a bit.post #1159 of 141810/15/13 at 7:14pmpost #1160 of 141810/15/13 at 7:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Koerhijo
I have been browsing this thread (read about twenty pages) and didn't find too many recent posts regarding the Koss ESP-950 vs. the SRS-2170. If there are some posts, I apologize!
I am debating about getting the Koss currently, but someone recommended the SRS-2170 to me.
Here is what I have heard about the ESP-950s:
Bass slam/impact is the most out of basically any electrostatic headphones
The bass extension rolls off
The upper end also rolls off
Is this accurate? What should I expect as far as differences in the two headphone systems? I plan to use the amps that come with each one, so keep that in mind.
Side note - do I need a different DAC than the Schiit Modi (for either set up)?
Did you read the 2nd. post over at the Stax entry level thread?
Why dont you read---instead of double posting,all over the forums?post #1161 of 141810/15/13 at 7:21pmQuote:
I posted this before I read the reply on the other one. It's okay.
I'll edit this post to reflect this new knowledge, and also to focus on my second question.post #1162 of 141810/15/13 at 9:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by goldenSHK
Thanks for the reply. So what do these sound better than in every way? The LCD2? HD650? HE500? Give me a somewhat rough place marker if you have done direct comparisons before. This can isn't in the battle of the flagships thread so I'm very lost with the lack of information about what kind of performance to expect from these bad boys.
I have only heard the LCD2 a couple of times, it definitely has better bass than 950, resolution is maybe about the same. Very brief auditions at meets.
I have not heard the HD650 and HE500.
Someone once claimed the 950 SQ is roughly at the same level as HE5 (the original wood phones, not LE), though of different flavor of course, so I would guess it is probably around the HE500 level as well.post #1163 of 141810/16/13 at 5:13amQuote:
Your Modi is fine.post #1164 of 141810/16/13 at 9:59amQuote:
I plan on re-purchasing the 950 and trying with KGSSHV. Heard the 950 on the Electra prototype and was surprised at the size and heft of the sound...Quote:
At RMAF, I asked Koss to pass on that we'd like a Stax-terminated cable option as well as a "premium pad" option. We're a niche market, but we can ask (and hope)!post #1165 of 141810/16/13 at 1:33pm
Certainly no harm in asking, but Koss already sells extension cables for ~$15. If we can afford a quality Stax amp, we can afford to pay somebody to mod that cable... and voila, problem fixed for the few of us interested in the upgrade, without Koss having to do anything special. That seems like the best approach to me... and probably to them too!post #1166 of 141810/16/13 at 2:02pmpost #1167 of 141810/16/13 at 4:34pm
I would guess most around here are using an adaptor to hook it up to Stax amps or a transformer box. I have 620v bias in my transformer boxes and the 950's bass is still not quite powerful enough. There is only so much the electrostatic driver can do.post #1168 of 141810/16/13 at 6:38pmpost #1169 of 141810/20/13 at 1:12am
- KOSS ESP-950 Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX &... 38 seconds ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 43 seconds ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 47 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › Recommendation from a limited 1 minute ago
- › Post pic(s) of your latest "significant" purchase(s)!!! v2.0 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 2 minutes ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › I have a $300 budget for a new pair of headphones, can I get some... 2 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 3 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)