Let me understand you here G. You only heard the 950s on the stock amp - not on a BHSE or a KGSSHV? If this is the case it an unfair fight from the start. If you want to sell them I'll be your huckleberry
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2012 - Deals Last post on 7/7/13 at 8:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. Last post on 10/24/12 at 6:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Choosing between ATH M50 vs Philips Fidelio L1 Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Pairing of Headphones to Song in your collection Last post on 9/27/12 at 11:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Been looking for some new closed headphones, with only three at the moment and for some time in fact. Good ones, though: Sony MDR Z1000, Sony MDR 7520, and Senn Amperiors, Sometimes you just...
There are many great headphones in this SUB-$150 category , I have a good amount of headphones in the range and have tried a good enough of them to know what to expect in this category The...
(Note - XL ear pads are installed. The sound will be judged based on that.) Introduction: I purchased these headphones mainly out of curiosity. I was reading reviews and watching youtubers...
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
KOSS ESP-950 Thread - Page 78post #1156 of 131710/15/13 at 8:06am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1157 of 131710/15/13 at 9:37am
You understand correctly: I have only used the stock 950 amp, but since Koss designed and sells the system together as a package, I consider that to be a completely fair fight. They could have included a Stax-terminated extension cable instead of an amp, and sold the 950s for significantly less... but they didn't.
As far as I am concerned, the ESP-950 slots perfectly into the $600-750 price range, with the E90 amp. As shipped, it can't compete with the big boys, but it isn't priced like them either.post #1158 of 131710/15/13 at 4:36pm
Thank you guys for your comparisons, especially G in MD. This makes my purchasing decision much more difficult. I wanted to get an emotiva mini X + HE6 as a possible endgame for a couple years until I thought maybe my first pair of electrostats might well do it for me. Now that I know where the Koss stands, I might have to debate everything a bit.post #1159 of 131710/15/13 at 7:14pmpost #1160 of 131710/15/13 at 7:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Koerhijo
I have been browsing this thread (read about twenty pages) and didn't find too many recent posts regarding the Koss ESP-950 vs. the SRS-2170. If there are some posts, I apologize!
I am debating about getting the Koss currently, but someone recommended the SRS-2170 to me.
Here is what I have heard about the ESP-950s:
Bass slam/impact is the most out of basically any electrostatic headphones
The bass extension rolls off
The upper end also rolls off
Is this accurate? What should I expect as far as differences in the two headphone systems? I plan to use the amps that come with each one, so keep that in mind.
Side note - do I need a different DAC than the Schiit Modi (for either set up)?
Did you read the 2nd. post over at the Stax entry level thread?
Why dont you read---instead of double posting,all over the forums?post #1161 of 131710/15/13 at 7:21pmQuote:
I posted this before I read the reply on the other one. It's okay.
I'll edit this post to reflect this new knowledge, and also to focus on my second question.post #1162 of 131710/15/13 at 9:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by goldenSHK
Thanks for the reply. So what do these sound better than in every way? The LCD2? HD650? HE500? Give me a somewhat rough place marker if you have done direct comparisons before. This can isn't in the battle of the flagships thread so I'm very lost with the lack of information about what kind of performance to expect from these bad boys.
I have only heard the LCD2 a couple of times, it definitely has better bass than 950, resolution is maybe about the same. Very brief auditions at meets.
I have not heard the HD650 and HE500.
Someone once claimed the 950 SQ is roughly at the same level as HE5 (the original wood phones, not LE), though of different flavor of course, so I would guess it is probably around the HE500 level as well.post #1163 of 131710/16/13 at 5:13amQuote:
Your Modi is fine.post #1164 of 131710/16/13 at 9:59amQuote:
I plan on re-purchasing the 950 and trying with KGSSHV. Heard the 950 on the Electra prototype and was surprised at the size and heft of the sound...Quote:
At RMAF, I asked Koss to pass on that we'd like a Stax-terminated cable option as well as a "premium pad" option. We're a niche market, but we can ask (and hope)!post #1165 of 131710/16/13 at 1:33pm
Certainly no harm in asking, but Koss already sells extension cables for ~$15. If we can afford a quality Stax amp, we can afford to pay somebody to mod that cable... and voila, problem fixed for the few of us interested in the upgrade, without Koss having to do anything special. That seems like the best approach to me... and probably to them too!post #1166 of 131710/16/13 at 2:02pmpost #1167 of 131710/16/13 at 4:34pm
I would guess most around here are using an adaptor to hook it up to Stax amps or a transformer box. I have 620v bias in my transformer boxes and the 950's bass is still not quite powerful enough. There is only so much the electrostatic driver can do.post #1168 of 131710/16/13 at 6:38pmpost #1169 of 131710/20/13 at 1:12am
- KOSS ESP-950 Thread
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 45 seconds ago
- › New Graphene Driver being developed by MIT. 56 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 56 seconds ago
- › Roccat Kave 5.1, anyone here have experience with it? 59 seconds ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 2 minutes ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 4 minutes ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit we'd like to see 5 minutes ago
- › New WESTONE W-SERIES 6 minutes ago
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by zazex
- › Ultrasone HFI-450 by MrTechAgent
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude