Let me understand you here G. You only heard the 950s on the stock amp - not on a BHSE or a KGSSHV? If this is the case it an unfair fight from the start. If you want to sell them I'll be your huckleberry
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2012 - Deals Last post on 7/7/13 at 8:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. Last post on 10/24/12 at 6:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Choosing between ATH M50 vs Philips Fidelio L1 Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Pairing of Headphones to Song in your collection Last post on 9/27/12 at 11:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Today
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: Yesterday
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have owned my HD600 for 12-15 years now. I had to change headband and earpad de to weare after 10 years. I believe the Sennheiser HD600 is my best purchase EVER no matter what! I am extremely...
Great headphones. Seriously, I'm really impresed with the detailed and excellent natural balanced sound that this unit delivers. I currently own the K712 pro and the K702 65th Anniversary Edition,...
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
KOSS ESP-950 Thread - Page 78post #1156 of 145210/15/13 at 8:06ampost #1157 of 145210/15/13 at 9:37am
You understand correctly: I have only used the stock 950 amp, but since Koss designed and sells the system together as a package, I consider that to be a completely fair fight. They could have included a Stax-terminated extension cable instead of an amp, and sold the 950s for significantly less... but they didn't.
As far as I am concerned, the ESP-950 slots perfectly into the $600-750 price range, with the E90 amp. As shipped, it can't compete with the big boys, but it isn't priced like them either.post #1158 of 145210/15/13 at 4:36pm
Thank you guys for your comparisons, especially G in MD. This makes my purchasing decision much more difficult. I wanted to get an emotiva mini X + HE6 as a possible endgame for a couple years until I thought maybe my first pair of electrostats might well do it for me. Now that I know where the Koss stands, I might have to debate everything a bit.post #1159 of 145210/15/13 at 7:14pmpost #1160 of 145210/15/13 at 7:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Koerhijo
I have been browsing this thread (read about twenty pages) and didn't find too many recent posts regarding the Koss ESP-950 vs. the SRS-2170. If there are some posts, I apologize!
I am debating about getting the Koss currently, but someone recommended the SRS-2170 to me.
Here is what I have heard about the ESP-950s:
Bass slam/impact is the most out of basically any electrostatic headphones
The bass extension rolls off
The upper end also rolls off
Is this accurate? What should I expect as far as differences in the two headphone systems? I plan to use the amps that come with each one, so keep that in mind.
Side note - do I need a different DAC than the Schiit Modi (for either set up)?
Did you read the 2nd. post over at the Stax entry level thread?
Why dont you read---instead of double posting,all over the forums?post #1161 of 145210/15/13 at 7:21pmQuote:
I posted this before I read the reply on the other one. It's okay.
I'll edit this post to reflect this new knowledge, and also to focus on my second question.post #1162 of 145210/15/13 at 9:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by goldenSHK
Thanks for the reply. So what do these sound better than in every way? The LCD2? HD650? HE500? Give me a somewhat rough place marker if you have done direct comparisons before. This can isn't in the battle of the flagships thread so I'm very lost with the lack of information about what kind of performance to expect from these bad boys.
I have only heard the LCD2 a couple of times, it definitely has better bass than 950, resolution is maybe about the same. Very brief auditions at meets.
I have not heard the HD650 and HE500.
Someone once claimed the 950 SQ is roughly at the same level as HE5 (the original wood phones, not LE), though of different flavor of course, so I would guess it is probably around the HE500 level as well.post #1163 of 145210/16/13 at 5:13amQuote:
Your Modi is fine.post #1164 of 145210/16/13 at 9:59amQuote:
I plan on re-purchasing the 950 and trying with KGSSHV. Heard the 950 on the Electra prototype and was surprised at the size and heft of the sound...Quote:
At RMAF, I asked Koss to pass on that we'd like a Stax-terminated cable option as well as a "premium pad" option. We're a niche market, but we can ask (and hope)!post #1165 of 145210/16/13 at 1:33pm
Certainly no harm in asking, but Koss already sells extension cables for ~$15. If we can afford a quality Stax amp, we can afford to pay somebody to mod that cable... and voila, problem fixed for the few of us interested in the upgrade, without Koss having to do anything special. That seems like the best approach to me... and probably to them too!post #1166 of 145210/16/13 at 2:02pmpost #1167 of 145210/16/13 at 4:34pm
I would guess most around here are using an adaptor to hook it up to Stax amps or a transformer box. I have 620v bias in my transformer boxes and the 950's bass is still not quite powerful enough. There is only so much the electrostatic driver can do.post #1168 of 145210/16/13 at 6:38pmpost #1169 of 145210/20/13 at 1:12am
- KOSS ESP-950 Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers) 4 seconds ago
- › In need of desktop amp to power Klipsch - WB14 & subwoofer 45 seconds ago
- › RHA T10i Tour & Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › $300 Over ear sealed headphones 2 minutes ago
- › I Have the First (and Only) EarWerkz Supra 2 minutes ago
- › Tera Player Thread - 24 bit WAV player ( impressions, opinions). 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Audiotechnicha ath-a900 headphones 3 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 3 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Wave 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)