Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200 dual-driver custom
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200 dual-driver custom - Page 5

post #61 of 94

hi there folks,

 

i've been using ER4p, with custom moldings, for many years now, with either an RSA predator or PicoSlim amp.

my big issue is the terrible microphonics of the etymotics and i've been thinking of getting new cabling (custom, or adapters for westone, etc)

but now I'm wondering if i would be better off spending my money on something like the CTM-200.

 

can anyone comment on the sound difference i would expect from the CTM-200 vs. the ER4p (when driven by an amp per above)?]

 

thanks

 

marty

post #62 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post

hi there folks,

 

i've been using ER4p, with custom moldings, for many years now, with either an RSA predator or PicoSlim amp.

my big issue is the terrible microphonics of the etymotics and i've been thinking of getting new cabling (custom, or adapters for westone, etc)

but now I'm wondering if i would be better off spending my money on something like the CTM-200.

 

can anyone comment on the sound difference i would expect from the CTM-200 vs. the ER4p (when driven by an amp per above)?]

 

I only have the ER4S (also with custom tips) but with the CTM-200 you can expect the biggest change to be in the more laid-back presentation and the soundstage/headstage, which are much more spacious and enveloping on the Cleartunes. There is also a bit more bass punch - more akin to the GR07 than the ER4S. 

post #63 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

I only have the ER4S (also with custom tips) but with the CTM-200 you can expect the biggest change to be in the more laid-back presentation and the soundstage/headstage, which are much more spacious and enveloping on the Cleartunes. There is also a bit more bass punch - more akin to the GR07 than the ER4S. 

 

thanks.

 

any observations on using the ctm-200 directly from an ipod/iphone or with am amp?

i see a huge positive difference using the amp with the ety er4p

post #64 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post

 

thanks.

 

any observations on using the ctm-200 directly from an ipod/iphone or with am amp?

i see a huge positive difference using the amp with the ety er4p

 

My usual iBasso amp/dac unit. However, note that I only have the ER4S and not the ER4P.

post #65 of 94

There were a few comments from members who had ordered the CTM-200.  I'm assuming they have indeed received their custom IEM.  Any feed back as a follow up would be appreciated.  

 

Yes, I'm an IEM junkie looking for my next fix.

post #66 of 94

Hello, anyone home?

post #67 of 94

Nothing new to report from prior writeup.  Good product.
 

post #68 of 94

Thanks for the feedback, Kib.  Guess I'll make the leap first of December.

post #69 of 94

Clear Tune Monitors has my ear impressions and my order for their CT-500 Elite model.  I'll post impressions and eventually a review of my first set of customs when they arrive (barring fit issues).

post #70 of 94
Thread Starter 

I'm probably going to try one of the 5-driver models next year as well, maybe the WLS-5

post #71 of 94

Your review of the CT-200 was a key reason I turned my attention to CTM.  If they can satisfy with 2 drivers I'm hoping they can deliver some aural bliss with 5.
 


Edited by Deviltooth - 12/9/12 at 1:57am
post #72 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviltooth View Post

Your review of the CT-200 was a key reason I turned my attention to CTM.  If they can satisfy with 2 drivers I'm hoping they can deliver some aural bliss with 5.
 


I guess you'll be the first to find out beerchug.gif

post #73 of 94

has anyone compared the CT-200 or 300 with the UE triple.fi10 and ue900? They fall into similar price brackets and the idea of customs really suits me with having an audiologist as a sister meaning imprints etc are all gratis, and i had a terrible time with the fitting of the TF10s i had..

post #74 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rG-tom View Post

has anyone compared the CT-200 or 300 with the UE triple.fi10 and ue900? They fall into similar price brackets and the idea of customs really suits me with having an audiologist as a sister meaning imprints etc are all gratis, and i had a terrible time with the fitting of the TF10s i had..


I have the CT-200 and UE900. They are on different sides of neutral - the UE900 warmer with much better bass extension and more bass presence overall, slightly laid-back upper mids, and prominent but not highly crisp treble. The CT-200, on the other hand, lacks the bass depth but is flatter, clearer, and more natural-sounding through the midrange and lower treble, still with a good amount of treble presence and air. 

post #75 of 94

I now have the CT-500 Elite.  This next week I'll buy a Dragonfly USB amplifier do some more critical listening then post a review.

 

Having listened for a few days I can report that this ciem far surpasses any universal iem I have ever heard in both dynamic range, accuracy, soundstage et al.  The sonic superiority on display is obvious and A/B'ing with other phones tends to expose and amplify the weaknesses of the universals.


Edited by Deviltooth - 1/6/13 at 4:32pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200 dual-driver custom