or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › LCD3 Kirkland Bath Tissue Edition, a.k.a. ToiletPants
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LCD3 Kirkland Bath Tissue Edition, a.k.a. ToiletPants - Page 12

post #166 of 275

The main disadvantage with smaller drivers (Fostex) may be the rather unpleasant tonal domination of the mid-band, while the bigger Audeze membranes are allowing the bass level not to fall off downwards. Just a thought.

 

( I have only heard the Fostes unmodded, and  hated it. Much of the music I listen to already has too much energy in the mid-band, so to speak (piano), and in addition the ears have higher sensitivity  in this area. I could not live with such a thing!).

Olaf

 

 

P.S.
and in addition (!!) I always listen at a moderate level, which considerably is accentuating the mids.
 


Edited by chetlanin - 12/7/11 at 7:22pm
post #167 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetlanin View Post

The main disadvantage with smaller drivers (Fostex) may be the rather unpleasant tonal domination of the mid-band, while the bigger Audeze membranes are allowing the bass level not to fall off downwards. Just a thought.

( I have only heard the Fostes unmodded, and  hated it. Much of the music I listen to already has too much energy in the mid-band, so to speak (piano), and in addition the ears have higher sensitivity  in this area. I could not live with such a thing!).
Olaf

by mid-band you mean mid-range? sorry for my ignorance but i don't recognize certain terms most of the times. if talking about midrange the fostex actually has a flatter midrange response compared to the LCD2. that's specially dampened though. what your hearing from the stock model is horrible ringing and resonance. the top treble area roll-off is due to cancellations due to the reflections back firing into back of the driver. once you figure out and solve the resonance and reflection issues it can be a killer headphone
post #168 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexAeterna View Post


by mid-band you mean mid-range? sorry for my ignorance but i don't recognize certain terms most of the times. if talking about midrange the fostex actually has a flatter midrange response compared to the LCD2. that's specially dampened though. what your hearing from the stock model is horrible ringing and resonance. the top treble area roll-off is due to cancellations due to the reflections back firing into back of the driver. once you figure out and solve the resonance and reflection issues it can be a killer headphone


Mid-range is probably the right word, sorry. English is not my mother tongue, if that is an excuse. May well be that the dominating mid-range is caused mainly by resonance, but the roll-off in both ends must also be a factor. (it was my immediate interpretation). Yes, it was the stock version i listened to. Listening to it took away the planned inspiration to try modifying.. From general experience i know that reducing bass and treble is much easier than to achieve a relative reduction of the mid-range. (But I can only congratulate those who had success with the mods).

Olaf

 

post #169 of 275
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetlanin View Post

The main disadvantage with smaller drivers (Fostex) may be the rather unpleasant tonal domination of the mid-band, while the bigger Audeze membranes are allowing the bass level not to fall off downwards. Just a thought.

 

( I have only heard the Fostes unmodded, and  hated it. Much of the music I listen to already has too much energy in the mid-band, so to speak (piano), and in addition the ears have higher sensitivity  in this area. I could not live with such a thing!).

Olaf

 

 

P.S.
and in addition (!!) I always listen at a moderate level, which considerably is accentuating the mids.
 


Properly modified the T50RP can do some amazing things in the bass, while remaining much more tuneful. I schitt you not. Ask LFF for measurements of his Paradox mod.

 

post #170 of 275

PIX OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN:

 

TP_1.jpgTP_2.jpg

TP_5.jpgTP_4.jpg

TP_7.jpg

 

Had to do it on my own turf with my own hands.

 

Better...but still lacking air (treble).

 

I know, one person's "creaminess" is another's "murkiness".

 

For me, the TP is necessary to enjoy the phone. But it still lacks something in the upper range. (Upper-mids and 12kHz dip?)

 

Can see where it could be pleasing while impressive in the low range extension/impact (great sub-bass for a phone).

 

End of the day?  Not what I am hoping for in my "best" pair of phones...

Reply
post #171 of 275

Try the ALO 16 Reference Silver / Copper chain mail cable - it really makes the difference in the treble range, to a significant extent too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post

PIX OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN:

 

TP_1.jpgTP_2.jpg

TP_5.jpgTP_4.jpg

TP_7.jpg

 

Had to do it on my own turf with my own hands.

 

Better...but still lacking air (treble).

 

I know, one person's "creaminess" is another's "murkiness".

 

For me, the TP is necessary to enjoy the phone. But it still lacks something in the upper range. (Upper-mids and 12kHz dip?)

 

Can see where it could be pleasing while impressive in the low range extension/impact (great sub-bass for a phone).

 

End of the day?  Not what I am hoping for in my "best" pair of phones...



 


Edited by googleli - 12/7/11 at 11:20pm
post #172 of 275

Hi googlei,

 

Wondering- you only list "Female Vocal" in your musical preferences, are you listening to Asian Pop or American music too?

 

Reason I ask is that I have heard that some Chinese microphone capsules have a peak around the same place that LCD3 graphs show a 12kHz dip/resonance.

 

I am wondering if this might help certain music and affect others?

 

 

And, I really do recommend you trying the non-destructive TP mod.  

 

rhythmdevils told me a good technique for replacing the screws, "gently turn the screws counter-clockwise until you feel the drop in the thread-ramp".

 

Then turn clockwise <gently> to tighten.  Shouldn't have too much friction.

 

Better to ensure you don't hurt the threading while "experimenting"...bigsmile_face.gif

 

 

Reply
post #173 of 275

Oh, after the TP...I would be willing to try your cables but on loan or at a meet!

Reply
post #174 of 275

Female vocal is my preference but in female vocal the majority I listen to is pop rather than audiophile recordings. From Jane Zhang, Kay Tse, Joey Yung to Girls Generation, TRF and Amuro. I will let my system burn in for a bit more first before deciding whether I should go with the TP mod. Now the TP mod looks more viable because from your pics, you can't see the TP from the outside, apparently.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post

Hi googlei,

 

Wondering- you only list "Female Vocal" in your musical preferences, are you listening to Asian Pop or American music too?

 

Reason I ask is that I have heard that some Chinese microphone capsules have a peak around the same place that LCD3 graphs show a 12kHz dip/resonance.

 

I am wondering if this might help certain music and affect others?

 

 

And, I really do recommend you trying the non-destructive TP mod.  

 

rhythmdevils told me a good technique for replacing the screws, "gently turn the screws counter-clockwise until you feel the drop in the thread-ramp".

 

Then turn clockwise <gently> to tighten.  Shouldn't have too much friction.

 

Better to ensure you don't hurt the threading while "experimenting"...bigsmile_face.gif

 

 



 

post #175 of 275

Is female vocal a genre?  What does it matter whether it's a guy or girl singing?

 

And why vocal btw? 


Edited by rhythmdevils - 12/8/11 at 12:36am
post #176 of 275

^^can't see any TP, googleli.  But I found some improvement. 

 

Not enough for myself to choose these (have them on longer than Monday night).

 

But, I had to try them with TP/without so I could make my own mind up.

 

I'm going to listen to Miu Sakamoto's Phantom Girl, come to think of it...an album I really like.

 

Okay- now I am getting it...first track shows an appreciable difference in presentation.

 

*bridges musical divide*

 

Yet, still...there is some (gosh I don't want to use this word)..."sparkle" missing.

 

 

Reply
post #177 of 275

Why? Because I like. Is there a problem?

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post

Is female vocal a genre?  What does it matter whether it's a guy or girl singing?

 

And why vocal btw? 



 

post #178 of 275

^makes sense to me...asian female vocals with a bit of a "crisp" treatment are going to be more in the 300-500hz range with a bit of extra "touch" in the upper mids (guessing 2-4kHz)??

 

So, any extra response in that area will be treated well by a darker phone?

 

But, with well-mastered (IMO) Phantom Girl- the brightness has not been "too" much.  Just a choice...

 

EDIT:  Sorry, now that I am really paying attention...the female vocal here is fairly low.  But the upper extension or "air" is missing.


Edited by CEE TEE - 12/8/11 at 1:10am
Reply
post #179 of 275

 

Hi googleli,

 

I won't say (without my Benchmark, which is out on loan right now) and your cables/system that I couldn't get a very nice sound out of the LCD-3.

 

But, I will say that I am choosing instead to take the "HD800 route" and deal with their "brightness" instead.

 

I will take the HD800, place a tube amp in-between them and the Benchmark DAC1:

  • If that is too bright, I will apply the "Anaxilus" foam-mods.
  • If that is still too bright/fatiguing (over time, as I have listened to these components on more than one occasion)- I can change DACs.

 

So, I have a path which makes sense for my music and my tastes...

 

(Could/can/probably will change preferences somewhat over more time. bigsmile_face.gif)  

 

However, I am earnestly just trying to get a desktop system that pleases me (as much as my custom iems).

 

May our discourse and enjoyment be helpful to others!

 

beerchug.gif

C

 
Reply
post #180 of 275

Feel free, dude. My philosophy is to get the best of both worlds, with the SR009  at home sourced from the K-01 to maximize details (without being fatigued), and the Rega -> Liquid Fire -> LCD3 combo to get the creamy yet very clean sound. I prefer this way than something in the middle, but of course everyone's goal is different.  

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › LCD3 Kirkland Bath Tissue Edition, a.k.a. ToiletPants