or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club.. - Page 272

post #4066 of 4288
oh definitely. these little guys work incredibly well, and actually, I don't mind a little lack if isolation. let's me keep a feel for my dynamics. if I wanted more isolation, I'd buy a set of the comply ends, but for me, the stock tips are working just fine. I also have funny ears though. right ear canal requires the medium tip while left ear requires the small tip. the comply set would help that a bit, or maybe doing the cheap custom in ear mold.
post #4067 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude View Post

oh definitely. these little guys work incredibly well, and actually, I don't mind a little lack if isolation. let's me keep a feel for my dynamics. if I wanted more isolation, I'd buy a set of the comply ends, but for me, the stock tips are working just fine. I also have funny ears though. right ear canal requires the medium tip while left ear requires the small tip. the comply set would help that a bit, or maybe doing the cheap custom in ear mold.

i don't think the complys would help in the isolation much, its the vents on both sides thats really letting in the noise rather than the fit 

 

the fit is obviously another thing though 

 

but i mean the face plate as lot of little vents while on the back next to the nozzle theres a big on right there as well

 

doing the custom mold mods i had posted some pictures if you check the gallery plugs up the vent next to the nozzle and that alone makes quite a difference. i was able to use them while walking around the mall. (couldn't hear any overhead annoucements or someone talking to me until they tapped me on the shoulder

 

i used the radian custom molds 

post #4068 of 4288

heres the link 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/580769/lightbox/post/9829192/id/937495

 

and the picture before it is the mold on a different angle

post #4069 of 4288

Did you have to use the original tips, cut them up, to get the customs to pop on and off just right, or were you able to just get a good fit without worrying about them popping on and off?

post #4070 of 4288

how you do your tips can make such a difference on these beasties.  Money is tight right now, and I have my tax return earmarked for possibly some paradox slants or may bottlehead bottlephones. I keep thinking of getting some cardas buds or the new fostex te 05, but then i tinker with my 9927's some more and say,"no way"!  I want a real set of phones.  The 9927's are my last earbuds...they are so good when fully tweaked that I am more than satisfied with them.  I did a little foam tweak a few minutes ago.  Used a softer earplug foam wafer from those pink flesh tone macks, which I think are the softest earplugs.  I pulled out the green foam ones I currently had which are cut off from my tip outer sleeves which are green foam core out with a soldering iron and slid over  my hifiman double flanges.  see picture!  The foam wafer I am talking about inserts inside the bottom flange.  You say this minor thing won't make a difference...It does; a better seal and a subtle fuller, more, musical sound with slightly better detail and focus. So the next tweak is finding some more of those pink macks ear plugs and replacing the lime green ones.  Fleshtone pink doesn't look as cool but it may improve the sound a bit more.  Muhaha!

 

Happy Listeng!   BTW the camera on my galaxy note 3 is amazing!

post #4071 of 4288

Those look like they have gone through hell and back a few times over. I must have missed a few of your posts.

 

So excuse the following question that I'm sure you've already answered, but I have to ask:

Are those divots in the shell from cutting away for comfort or something else?

post #4072 of 4288
Hey Kam!
 

No they are just the way the light is hitting the notches of that molded brace structure they have.  Didn't really think about the lighting and the way the shadows made it look. LOL but it does look like there is a cut out.  There isn't.   Finish is not as smooth as I would like either, there

is about 7 or 8 coats of  nail polish for color and damping of the plastic chassis.  It does smooth a bit of the resonance from the plastic creating
a slightly lower noise floor and a blacker background.  I have only done that to these.  The other one I have built don't sound quite as smooth or as detailed.  These ones are my testbed for any ideas that occur to me... So they have been through the ringer so to speak. HaHa!!
 
They do sound amazing.   They have oversized barrels that are hint longer than stock.  3 drops of cyanoacrylate for driver damping.  I use Hifiman Large Double Flanges with the top flange removed and a earplug foam sleve over the top of it, held in place by the edge of the cut flange
sleeve.  I hollowed the earplugs out with a soldering iron.  The right foam is thinner because my ear cannal is slightly narrower.  The bottom flange has a foam earplug wafer that I wrap around the center of the bottom flange.  I slide a silicone rubber spacer over the nozzle to offset the
tips slightly and position them, it may also slightly damp any plastic resonance in the model stock tubing I use.   These currently sound substantially better than I remember the Hifiman  RE 600 songbirds sounding when I was borrowing them.
 
I have built a few pair for friends.  I lengthen the noozle more than mine to accomplish the same bore length tunning I get with the hifiman tips.  This allows me to eliminate filters entirely and get a better bass punch and extension, while improving high frequency extension.  The damping is accomplished with the cyanoacrylate and the added length of the nozzle.  This is something Rin choi talked about when using triple flange tips. Detail is noticeably better than stock but smoother and response is more even across the frequency range.  On these
I use either small, medium or large clear lostearbud double flanges.   They are the softest silicone tips I have tried and feel very much like
foam in terms of comfort.  This allows me to accomplish very similar results as the Hifiman tips without requiring that you have large ear canals like me.  But the nozzles are about twice as long on those version, which my friends seem to think makes them look pretty cool.  They also have a silicone rubber spacer to allow proper spacing of the  Lostearbuds double flanges which are to shallow in my opionion.  Thus the need to create extra bore length with nozzle itself.  My son had my tweaked TDK BA 200's.  His 9927's eat those for lunch in
every way.
 
On an absolute basis I still prefer mine but its very close.
 
I gave up on Rin choi filters because I could never find an exact material and in the end eliminating the filter and tuning them this way compromises nothing.  The rin choi's add some pleasent midrange and upperbass  qualities but you do lose detail, focus and microdynamics, as well as neutrality.  Better to add warmth or tonality with your electronics.  Funny thing is that all though a hint
less warm without the Rin Choi filters, the sound is ultimately more musical and involving anyway.
 
Haven't been on here in a month or more...moved, got a new job, and am going through a divorce.   All part of the fun.
 
Listening and tinkering help me cope.
 
Happy Listening and PM if you are interested in a pair.  Sorry bout not getting you filter material...stuff was glorified techy paper towel basically!!!
post #4073 of 4288

just got these... sounds great esp with an amp.

one thing is that the triangular part HURTS my outer ear like crazy. if i try to position em differently, i lose the seal. :(

post #4074 of 4288

Order some lostearbuds double flanges on ebay...they seal much better than regular 9927's tips and should seal regardless of position.  Mold to your canals much better than any other silicone tips I have tried. 

 

 

Happy Listening

post #4075 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckavelli View Post
 

just got these

Which ones did you get?

 

(please don't say black 9927s please don't say black 9927s please don't say black 9927s...)

post #4076 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac View Post

Which ones did you get?

(please don't say black 9927s please don't say black 9927s please don't say black 9927s...)

Bro we get u like the white ones, uve made it perfectly clear the first 3 times...They all sound the same, some ppl just dont like the white version.... . Its been stated the white and pink have rubber cables already. Just enjoy ur white ones, everyone is enjoying their other ones or moved on
post #4077 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwtriode View Post
 

Order some lostearbuds double flanges on ebay...they seal much better than regular 9927's tips and should seal regardless of position.  Mold to your canals much better than any other silicone tips I have tried. 

 

 

Happy Listening


The larger tips fit better but still its the housing i'm having issues with mostly, not the tips.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac View Post
 

Which ones did you get?

 

(please don't say black 9927s please don't say black 9927s please don't say black 9927s...)


silver 8320, why does it even matter?

post #4078 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
Bro we get u like the white ones, uve made it perfectly clear the first 3 times...They all sound the same, some ppl just dont like the white version.... . Its been stated the white and pink have rubber cables already.

 

The issue is that most people aren't going to read the specific pages numbered 260-270 in this thread.  The opening post and the thread title make absolutely no aknoledgement that the white and pink IEMs even exist.  In fact, I even bought black 9927 IEMs before my white ones because of this exact reason, and I definitely would have preferred to have gotten only the white IEMs in the first place.  Heck it's been 5 months now and I'm still the only person in this thread that has even given feedback on said white IEMs, and may in fact even be the only person that owns a pair.

 

I guess it all boils down to the fact that I feel that the white 9963 IEMs are just a flat-out better product, and it just pains me to see that nobody else is willing to try them.


Edited by Nintendo Maniac - 3/6/14 at 6:25pm
post #4079 of 4288

I know there are four colors. The only difference is the fabric cord vs the rubber one. I bought silver because I like the look and because I wanted the fabric cable. Surely there is no difference in sound or fit?

post #4080 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckavelli View Post
 

I know there are four colors. The only difference is the fabric cord vs the rubber one. I bought silver because I like the look and because I wanted the fabric cable. Surely there is no difference in sound or fit?

 

That is correct. In fact I believe that most people do buy either the black or silver (fabric cord) version.


Edited by halfinfinity - 3/6/14 at 7:23pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..