Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › audiophile tablets?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

audiophile tablets? - Page 2

post #16 of 35
Originally Posted by umvue View Post



http://dl.project-voodoo.org/RMAA/reports/nfb-12-galaxys-voodoosound-load-hd650.htm

 

Can you interpret this test for us? Thanks!

Not very useful since the HD650 was used as a load. A low impedance IEM would reveal just good of a dampening it has and whether it can keep the whole frequency range under control. 

post #17 of 35

Any tablet that is supported by the CyanogenMod custom rom let's you enable USB HOST. This way you can hook up battery-powered DACs like the Fiio E7 to your Android tablet. You can build a pretty audiophile Android rig this way. Check out XDA for more info. 

post #18 of 35

I'm pretty impressed by the audio output of my new Kindle Fire.  No idea what DAC they used inside, but given they are selling it as a media consumption device with access to their Amazon's MP3 store it may have a better-than-usual set of pipes. Music output from the speakers is even better than most of my other tablets..

post #19 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post

I'm pretty impressed by the audio output of my new Kindle Fire.  No idea what DAC they used inside, but given they are selling it as a media consumption device with access to their Amazon's MP3 store it may have a better-than-usual set of pipes. Music output from the speakers is even better than most of my other tablets..


 

from my desktop research it uses the TI OMAP 4430 ... I'm not sure if there are any adaptations on the Kindle, but I understand this was also used on the 2009 Galaxy S - which had pretty good sound.

post #20 of 35

The TI OMAP is the CPU if i'm not wrong.

According to ifixit, the audio chipset is : "Texas Instruments AIC3110 Low-Power Audio Codec With 1.3W Stereo Class-D Speaker Amplifier"

 

post #21 of 35

anyone tried a Playbook ? just they are cheap now

 

seems they use the Wolfson WM8994e DAC ? should be pretty good headphone output ?

post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukumi View Post

If you plan on using it as a source, I guess it won't be in your pocket? So maybe you could try to use a DAC with an ipad, there is this topic that could help you which lists all the working DAC:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad


In my case, I bring my iPad2 everywhere I go (so I double it as my portable music source)... Amongst the many DAC's that can compliment it, what will the best portable choice (so as not to add more heft to my already bulky rig)?
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post

anyone tried a Playbook ? just they are cheap now

 

seems they use the Wolfson WM8994e DAC ? should be pretty good headphone output ?



The Playbook sounds good to me on a set of Turbines. I'm wondering if the mini usb out will allow for a USB DAC?

post #24 of 35
I'll second the Playbook mention. I have some HD650s plugged directly into it, no amp or other gear, and it drives them pretty well. More than enough volume for my needs (Although I do admit I listen to my music quieter than many people), and the sound quality's nothing to complain about and doesn't leave me wanting.
post #25 of 35

Im sure i read somehere that the hp touchpad is meant to be the best of the bunch for audio.

 

Anyway got one and it's a nice device, but i can't wait for when CM9 ics is ported to it, which hopefully won't take long.

post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS-Nitrogen View Post

I'll second the Playbook mention. I have some HD650s plugged directly into it, no amp or other gear, and it drives them pretty well. More than enough volume for my needs (Although I do admit I listen to my music quieter than many people), and the sound quality's nothing to complain about and doesn't leave me wanting.


I just bought a pair of D2000's and they sound pretty respectable coming out of the Playbook.

post #27 of 35

I would definitetly check out the tab plus 7 inch.  Bought it based on sound quality alone, and very very pleased.  Drives mdr ex700's very vell, excellent separation/soundstage (using poweramp).  I don't know anything about the internals used.

post #28 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by umvue View Post

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1132875

 

Transformer has Wolfson WM8903 chip. It can drive HD650


So the Transformer + voodoo would drive HD650 to good sound quality and volume?

post #29 of 35

 

Quote:

audiophile tablets?

 

The ones with S/PDIF output. regular_smile%20.gif

post #30 of 35

All the Tegra 2 tablets use the Wolfson, although I'm not sure if all of them are supported by Voodoo Sound. Can definitely vouch for how good it sounds compared to the stock implementation of the Wolfson.

 

Another lesser known tablet for audio stuff is the Archos G9 Turbo - it's an Android one and Archos have added USB DAC support (tested and working with my E17, but not had enough time to put it through it's paces).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › audiophile tablets?