Thanks for the write-up. Excellent stuff and honestly put. I am liking the Bifrost more and more and find that its extremely resolving, relatively balanced/natural flavor is exactly what I want in a DAC, esp. paired to a Lyr with orthoplanars. :)
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productEastern Electric MiniMax Dactagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMeier Audio Concertotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMeier Audio StageDACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Bifrost or DACMagic Plus? Last post on 5/21/14 at 6:24am in Dedicated Source Components
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- HifiMan HE-400 vs DAC Last post on 10/10/12 at 7:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
Schiit Bifrost vs Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC and Meier Corda Stagedac - Page 3post #31 of 6512/7/11 at 5:54am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 6512/7/11 at 5:57am
Wow AD, you've certainly raised the bar here! I'll echo RazorJack's praise of your writing style and tip my hat again to your balanced and measured approach.
I've already moved on from considering the Bifrost, but from what you've written, I suspect it may have met the same fate as the 10SE if I'd taken that plunge. I prefer a more romantic and musical colouration and I'd happily forgo ultra resolution in favour of this signature. I'm waiting for Schiit's balanced mid-tier and am now hoping the Bifrost doesn't represent the Schiit "house" sound.post #33 of 6512/7/11 at 5:58ampost #34 of 6512/7/11 at 6:39am
great great work. i do miss my EE and its lower region. i have a bifrost on order and im afraid it might be a little bright and dry for my tastes. i like me some bottom endpost #35 of 6512/7/11 at 5:43pm
I am blown away by what yu have written, Its better than outstanding!!! You should be honoured!!! and that is an understatement and I knew you would be this good. Such a detailed and honest report, mate you should do this full time, forget the rest cause you have just done it for me!!! I think you should at least opamp roll on the EE minimax becuse that opens up more posibilities for SQ assessments. If you decide to go down this path I am sure you will be rewarded, let me know if you do!!!!post #36 of 6512/7/11 at 5:51pmAiDee, very fine and thorough review. Really appreciate how you described the differences rather than the lazy sort of "X just blows Y away!" one sometimes sees.
It's very nice to see the Bifrost's sound quality (though not its exact sound) compared with rough equivalence to well-built DACs two or three times the price.
In my own system with the Bifrost I like the USB input more than the Toslink (though I'd expect that to be system-dependent), and I also think the Audirvana Plus software player provides a substantial upgrade in sound quality over iTunes. Don't know if you've had an opportunity to try Audirvana Plus, but you plainly appreciate good sound, so perhaps you'll enjoy it.post #37 of 6512/7/11 at 7:09pmpost #38 of 6512/7/11 at 11:09pmThread Starter
My goodness guys you are much too kind - I'm almost too nervous to continue writing!
But truly, I really appreciate the feedback. It's nice to know this arduous but very enjoyable process has been of some value for others, as well as me.
@RazorJack - I certainly will look into the cross feed and tonal balance. I already have ideas and experience of what they do, but of course it's important to now start fresh, as far as I can.
@sampson_smith - great to hear how your comments about the Bifrost/Lyr/Ortho combination. One thing I mean to do very shortly is roll back to my favorite tubes and explore more fully this combo's potential
@olor1n - just to say again I really enjoy your own searching, critical and measured approach. Btw, a great series of questions you asked some of those EE guys on the NFB10 thread. I would've chimed in if I'd had fewer distractions at the time.
And well, I think Schiit are a company of constant surprises. It will certainly be interesting to hear what the next tier sounds like - I won't be surprised if they go somewhere quite new!
@cooperpwc - for sure, with some appreciable fraction of material (just guessing, about one in six?) the cross feed makes a large difference. Once I had a better headphone rig, I was amazed at the benefit with particular tracks, but put the Stagedac back into the speaker rig pretty quickly (only because that's what I bought it for). By chance, I didn't hear the Stagedac with a lot of vocal material, which would certainly have made me keep it with the headphone rig. But I certainly missed the cross feed "effect".
From memory, this effect was to 'separate' the layers in those tracks where it worked, making them quite '3-dimensional'. I'm not sure whether I mean this in sound-stage terms (probably - that's certainly the theory), or whether I mean it meaningfully separates the instrumental layers. Maybe this is the same thing?
As Dr Meier suggested, Stagedac does this much better than the implementations in his amps. Perhaps because of how well the Stagedac does it, I rarely use it on the Concerto.
@caracara08 - I sure hear you, but I think there is reason for you to be hopeful about the Bifrost. With the LCD2 anyway, and despite my own mild bass preference, I see the Bifrost as a genuine alternative to the MiniMax. Looking forward to hearing your experience though, and good luck!
@ecohifi - thanks a lot! And, geez man you're talking to an ideas guy here, as in not very practical. I'll certainly let you know if I decide to try that, and I'll be sure to ask your advice
@judmarc - thanks! And yes, haven't forgotten about Audirvana plus and looking forward to trying it.
@sridhar3 - really appreciate it man, especially having really enjoyed your own contributions on head-fi!post #39 of 6512/8/11 at 9:07ampost #40 of 6512/9/11 at 7:57am
Wow that took some time! I have a Bi-Frost/Lyr coming when I figure out what tubes. I know both of the designers over at Schiit well from my days when I HAD money for Stereo things...
I am sure I will be very happy! I will just have to figure out what tubes to get it with... That is a WHOLE other thread...
I also really appreciate that it made in America, you really can not say that often enough. As for the next teir, its all well and good but I will have this for a little bit before
I decide to upgrade this is costing me enough that it hurts and is REALLY pushing my edge but it will be worth it!
Thanks again!SUBMITpost #41 of 6512/9/11 at 9:57amThread Starterpost #42 of 6512/9/11 at 11:55am
Yep when I start seeing tubes that are $86 a piece TOO rich for MY blood!
It's like am always waiting for the next big deal, in my case it was the headphones...
The BiFrost/Lyr combo is hard to beat at that price. You can bring in other amps around
the same money BUT as I said the one thing the combo has is, made PROUDLY in the USA.
I own lots of stuff from all over but when I can I like to keep it domestic, especially if there is a warren-tee
issue!post #43 of 6512/9/11 at 1:25pmpost #44 of 6512/9/11 at 5:19pmQuote:
If you don't continue writing I'll get The Bionic Woman to kick your butt!
Keep up the fine work! LOL!
CJpost #45 of 6512/9/11 at 8:44pmQuote:
You know I am Andre!
You gave me such a proper list that and each one of them an outstanding recommendation!
- Schiit Bifrost vs Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC and Meier Corda Stagedac
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Elemental Watson Class-A Valve/Mosfet Hybrid Headphone Amplifier... 32 seconds ago
- › Colored amp options for AKG K712? 39 seconds ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 46 seconds ago
- › Blox earbuds Discussion (TM7, M2C, ANV3, BE3/BE5/BE7, B160/B320) 58 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › KENNERTON VALI - Impressions, Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 1 minute ago
- › Amp recommendation for Modi Multibit 2 minutes ago
- › COMING SOON: Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth,... 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › ARCHEER 25W Bluetooth Home Speakers with Huge Bass and Superior... by B9Scrambler
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by ryanjsoo
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear