Thanks for the write-up. Excellent stuff and honestly put. I am liking the Bifrost more and more and find that its extremely resolving, relatively balanced/natural flavor is exactly what I want in a DAC, esp. paired to a Lyr with orthoplanars. :)
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productEastern Electric MiniMax Dactagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMeier Audio Concertotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMeier Audio StageDACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Bifrost or DACMagic Plus? Last post on 5/21/14 at 6:24am in Dedicated Source Components
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- HifiMan HE-400 vs DAC Last post on 10/10/12 at 7:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
As my wife will tell you, at just about every major audio show I attend I buy something (shocker right?). There’s something cool about looking at my pieces of gear and thinking about the show...
So i bought the DT 880 250 Ohm Pro model. I also have KEf m200 in ears, a pair of AKG k450. I owned Audio Technica m30, Sennheiser Momentum on ear and Beyerdynamic dt 770 80 Ohm. The difference is...
Introduction Over the past year, Audiofly released their "Performance" range of IEMs, designed by musicians as stage monitors. A while back I had a chance to sample the top of the range AF180 and...
My wife returned from two weeks in Japan today. While I was glad to see her after time apart, and excited to have her back, a part of me was more excited about what she had brought with her: my...
I bought this headphone amp after having met Ray Samuels at a Headphone show. He made it absolutely clear how much he valued over-engineering his pieces and how much he prioritized long term...
Schiit Bifrost vs Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC and Meier Corda Stagedac - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Wow AD, you've certainly raised the bar here! I'll echo RazorJack's praise of your writing style and tip my hat again to your balanced and measured approach.
I've already moved on from considering the Bifrost, but from what you've written, I suspect it may have met the same fate as the 10SE if I'd taken that plunge. I prefer a more romantic and musical colouration and I'd happily forgo ultra resolution in favour of this signature. I'm waiting for Schiit's balanced mid-tier and am now hoping the Bifrost doesn't represent the Schiit "house" sound.
great great work. i do miss my EE and its lower region. i have a bifrost on order and im afraid it might be a little bright and dry for my tastes. i like me some bottom end
I am blown away by what yu have written, Its better than outstanding!!! You should be honoured!!! and that is an understatement and I knew you would be this good. Such a detailed and honest report, mate you should do this full time, forget the rest cause you have just done it for me!!! I think you should at least opamp roll on the EE minimax becuse that opens up more posibilities for SQ assessments. If you decide to go down this path I am sure you will be rewarded, let me know if you do!!!!
It's very nice to see the Bifrost's sound quality (though not its exact sound) compared with rough equivalence to well-built DACs two or three times the price.
In my own system with the Bifrost I like the USB input more than the Toslink (though I'd expect that to be system-dependent), and I also think the Audirvana Plus software player provides a substantial upgrade in sound quality over iTunes. Don't know if you've had an opportunity to try Audirvana Plus, but you plainly appreciate good sound, so perhaps you'll enjoy it.
My goodness guys you are much too kind - I'm almost too nervous to continue writing!
But truly, I really appreciate the feedback. It's nice to know this arduous but very enjoyable process has been of some value for others, as well as me.
@RazorJack - I certainly will look into the cross feed and tonal balance. I already have ideas and experience of what they do, but of course it's important to now start fresh, as far as I can.
@sampson_smith - great to hear how your comments about the Bifrost/Lyr/Ortho combination. One thing I mean to do very shortly is roll back to my favorite tubes and explore more fully this combo's potential
@olor1n - just to say again I really enjoy your own searching, critical and measured approach. Btw, a great series of questions you asked some of those EE guys on the NFB10 thread. I would've chimed in if I'd had fewer distractions at the time.
And well, I think Schiit are a company of constant surprises. It will certainly be interesting to hear what the next tier sounds like - I won't be surprised if they go somewhere quite new!
@cooperpwc - for sure, with some appreciable fraction of material (just guessing, about one in six?) the cross feed makes a large difference. Once I had a better headphone rig, I was amazed at the benefit with particular tracks, but put the Stagedac back into the speaker rig pretty quickly (only because that's what I bought it for). By chance, I didn't hear the Stagedac with a lot of vocal material, which would certainly have made me keep it with the headphone rig. But I certainly missed the cross feed "effect".
From memory, this effect was to 'separate' the layers in those tracks where it worked, making them quite '3-dimensional'. I'm not sure whether I mean this in sound-stage terms (probably - that's certainly the theory), or whether I mean it meaningfully separates the instrumental layers. Maybe this is the same thing?
As Dr Meier suggested, Stagedac does this much better than the implementations in his amps. Perhaps because of how well the Stagedac does it, I rarely use it on the Concerto.
@caracara08 - I sure hear you, but I think there is reason for you to be hopeful about the Bifrost. With the LCD2 anyway, and despite my own mild bass preference, I see the Bifrost as a genuine alternative to the MiniMax. Looking forward to hearing your experience though, and good luck!
@ecohifi - thanks a lot! And, geez man you're talking to an ideas guy here, as in not very practical. I'll certainly let you know if I decide to try that, and I'll be sure to ask your advice
@judmarc - thanks! And yes, haven't forgotten about Audirvana plus and looking forward to trying it.
@sridhar3 - really appreciate it man, especially having really enjoyed your own contributions on head-fi!
Wow that took some time! I have a Bi-Frost/Lyr coming when I figure out what tubes. I know both of the designers over at Schiit well from my days when I HAD money for Stereo things...
I am sure I will be very happy! I will just have to figure out what tubes to get it with... That is a WHOLE other thread...
I also really appreciate that it made in America, you really can not say that often enough. As for the next teir, its all well and good but I will have this for a little bit before
I decide to upgrade this is costing me enough that it hurts and is REALLY pushing my edge but it will be worth it!
Yep when I start seeing tubes that are $86 a piece TOO rich for MY blood!
It's like am always waiting for the next big deal, in my case it was the headphones...
The BiFrost/Lyr combo is hard to beat at that price. You can bring in other amps around
the same money BUT as I said the one thing the combo has is, made PROUDLY in the USA.
I own lots of stuff from all over but when I can I like to keep it domestic, especially if there is a warren-tee
If you don't continue writing I'll get The Bionic Woman to kick your butt!
Keep up the fine work! LOL!
You know I am Andre!
You gave me such a proper list that and each one of them an outstanding recommendation!
- Schiit Bifrost vs Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC and Meier Corda Stagedac
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › DEALING IN DOCUMENTARIES 2 seconds ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 47 seconds ago
- › Microphone? 49 seconds ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › 2015 Tokyo Fujiya Avic Spring Headphone Festival Report 4 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 5 minutes ago
- › Budget amp for HD 598 and DT 880 Pro 5 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio - The New Rx by mscott58
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by bodopopa
- › Audiofly AF120 In-Ear Headphones by Woodhouse
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by hakushondaimao
- › Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang by Zennheiser
- › FiiO E17 by Zennheiser
- › Sennheiser RS 130 Wireless Surround Sound Headphones by Tail
- › T-Peos Baguette Dynamic Earphones by twister6
- › T-Peos Amadeus dual hybrid in-ear monitor with microphone and remote by Hisoundfi
- › Apple iPhone 4S 16GB - AT&T - Black by snellemin
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2