As someone who is considering a Lyr-Bifrost combo, I look forward to your Lyr impressions. Keep up the great work.
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productEastern Electric MiniMax Dactagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMeier Audio Concertotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMeier Audio StageDACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Bifrost or DACMagic Plus? Last post on 5/21/14 at 6:24am in Dedicated Source Components
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- HifiMan HE-400 vs DAC Last post on 10/10/12 at 7:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Magaosi K3 Pro Review: Triple Threat Magaosi is another Chinese IEM maker to burst onto the Chi-Fi scene. While its IEM portfolio is shallow, it is not without quality. Their new triple-driver...
INTRODUCTION few months back my friend tried these headphones. Few days ago she wanted to buy it from me. And I quote her to start this review off "I've never heard music like I did with this...
I have had the headset for about 12 months now so I will just drop some of my long term expectations to anyone wanting to buy this. I have the second (current) revision of the headphones with the...
*review this right after i have this headphone. burn in test not yet available Lost my AKG K403, my very first HD headphone (to me). Very low on budget, found this, bought it, waited for a near...
INTRODUCTION: Paw Gold is a high resolution music player from the brand Lotoo, that is part of the Beijing Infomedia Electronic Technology Co Ltd. It sports an industrial looking outer body...
Schiit Bifrost vs Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC and Meier Corda Stagedac - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 6511/18/11 at 12:58pm
Probably the most honest and balanced review of the Bifrost that I have read. From the review I think I'm more a MM person, the thing holding me back is that it's twice the cost of the Bifrost.post #18 of 6511/18/11 at 6:05pm
Cheers, AiDee, and thanks for a readable, thorough and informative review. It doesn't hurt that my observations agree pretty much entirely with yours.
If I had to use one adjective to describe the Bifrost, it would be "Swiss." As in unflappably precise, relentlessly neutral and civil but hardly warm. In other words, if you value beauty over detail, look elsewhere.
This DAC really untangles mixes, making it easy to follow what's happening. Kind of the opposite of the "wall of sound" approach. Details like soft cymbal hits or musician comments almost float out of the mix. It does plumb the depths, but there's no extra bass - call it "bloom" or "bloat," it's not there: which may be bad for bassheads. Neither is there any added midbass warmth.
Try different cables if at all possible. Right now I'm using Nordost Baldur interconnects. It's all about the system. I find the Bifrost/Baldur/Lyr/LCD-2 combo very serendipitous, possibly beacuse Schiit didn't design the Lyr to be overly detailed or dry. Which tubes don't do anyway.
Looking forward to what Schiit does next.post #19 of 6511/18/11 at 6:38pmThread Starter
Just catching up - thank you all from Pudu on for the kind comments.
45longcolt, thanks for the added observations and additional perspective they provide. The "Swiss" analogy strikes me as exactly right!
I'm catching up with some work I shifted to finish the first part of the review. I've spent way too long catching up with other threads this morning - oops
I hope to restart and get to the other parts of the review shortly.post #20 of 6511/19/11 at 8:41am
A very nicely written, well considered, well thought out review.
You have raised the bar!
Now all I have to do is find a comparitive review of the Schiit with an Arcam rDAC (I can get the Arcam from a local shop).
I have always wondered if "blackness" has to do with how well the power supply, etc reject noise.
C.post #21 of 6511/19/11 at 10:20am
Blackness, as you call it, can be compromised either by the unit itself or the power it's being fed. That's why I use a power conditioner, which lets more of the music come through. As the cliche goes, it's like cleaning your windows.
Await your further views with interest. The Bifrost is good enough that pretty much any system change will be audible. Deciding whether the result is an improvement or not can be the challenge. I kinda miss some of the warmth my old DAC (PS Audio DL III) imparted, but overall I find the Bifrost's attributes irresistable.post #22 of 6511/20/11 at 3:50pmpost #23 of 6511/20/11 at 11:23pmThread Starter
Thanks Chris and thanks again 45longcolt.
NumLock - a little checking with the Stax to finish off for part 1, then I'm on to the Lyr this week.
StageDAC will be late next week at the earliest I'm sorry!post #24 of 6511/22/11 at 7:53pmThread Starterpost #25 of 6512/3/11 at 6:32pmpost #26 of 6512/3/11 at 7:22pmThread Starter
Cheers daly. I'm pretty close to posting. Had hoped to do so yesterday but real life ya know...
If not in 10 hours then in 48.
Edit: BTW, a slight change to the scheduled programming. The Bifrost/Stagedac comparison is now all three and all through the Lyr. As this is fairly major, I will probably give it the space reserved in the 2nd post.
There is a Bifrost-Lyr-T1 versus Stagedac-Concerto-T1 comparison requested by another head-fier also to come, in another week or so.
Edited by Argo Duck - 12/3/11 at 7:41pmpost #27 of 6512/4/11 at 4:07ampost #28 of 6512/6/11 at 12:32ampost #29 of 6512/7/11 at 2:03amThread Starter
Thanks RazorJack and cooperpwc!
I have just posted (one day late!) part 2 of the review. It is slightly different than originally intended. My first thought was to also compare the Concerto/Stagedac pairing with the Bifrost/Lyr pairing. One might reasonably have expected synergies here. In the event, both amps have remained very much in the background.
Perhaps that's ok - this really is all meant to be about the DACs!
All the same, the Bifrost-Lyr-T1 and Stagedac-Concerto-T1 comparison still to come might bring the amps more to the fore. We shall see. Seven to 10 days perhaps?post #30 of 6512/7/11 at 4:07am
Excellent part 2, had a great time reading it. I like your writing style btw; clear statements and well structured, unlike certain reviewers around here who go around in endless circles using vague audiophile terms that don't really say anything...
Pretty impressive that the Bifrost manages to hold its own against the two (significantly) more expensive dacs. I really respect Schiit for making US-built high quality stuff and sell them for such relatively low prices. If I didn't already have mostly completed head-fi rigs or a nagging feeling of upgradetitis for a dac/amp, I would definitely get me a piece of Schiit.
No need to rush for the Schiit vs. Meier with the T1 comparison though! Although I got a T1 incoming very soon :-)
This time will you fully utilize the Stagedac's potential (crossfeed and tonal balance) ?
- Schiit Bifrost vs Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC and Meier Corda Stagedac
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line... 40 seconds ago
- › Prog rock 44 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 48 seconds ago
- › AKG k400 - Near Mint condition - Rare and Legendary! 1 minute ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 1 minute ago
- › The Stax Thread III 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Sony/HTC/AKG/Blue/MISC Thread 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 2 minutes ago
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by Jetpil0t
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Lotoo Paw Gold by EagleWings
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Accutone Pisces HD by Cinder
- › Beyerdynamic DT 480 by kman1211
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear