Greetings Head-Fi'ers! I have noticed the strengths and weaknesses of the following two headphones I currently own (using a Nuforce Icon HD amp) and am at the point where I can't just keep buying stuff and need some advice:
+ clarity, speed and effortless detail in the mids and highs... especially the highs where the realism is astonishing
+ close-in and aggressive sound that makes the music feel inside your head is thrilling
- soundstage is a little small sometimes
- tends to be bright up top with many recordings
- bass is quite rolled off under 100 hz and can sound flat
- quite uncomfortable after an hour use with the on-ear design
+ huge soundstage (felt too big at first, but I'm used to and appreciate it now)
+ bass and midrange are substantial and balanced against the treble
+ very comfortable for me... my thick hair does not allow the headband to bother the top of my head
- factory frequency response has tubby mids and mid-bass that I have to tame with EQ, which makes the midrange sound slightly reticent
- highest highs not well detailed and unfortunately cannot be improved using EQ... sounds distorted up top
I like the way the Grados render the high end except that they are too forward with it, and are not adequately counter-balanced with bass while the AKG does not have enough detail / air in the highest highs. By buying two pairs of audiophile cans for comparison, I have naturally trapped myself into seeing both as a compromise from one another because I like certain things about each. I also tried a friend's Sennheiser HD600 and found it to have the veil many people describe; it just sounded like there was a towel between my ears and the music that was filtering and distorting the entire top half of the audio spectrum. Comfort was fantastic, though.
Can someone recommend a headphone that combines the detail (not volume) of the highs and mids of the SR325is with the better bass and bigger soundstage of the Q701 that is reasonably comfortable for a four-hour session? Although there is no perfect, that would be just about right and a headphone I would keep for a very long time. I am willing to sell what I have to go upward if necessary. Thanks!