@ Flipsidiaz: I hope it is everything you are looking for and it is the best decision, not the worst! Looking forward to hearing from you once you get them.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Help out with some custom IEM Last post on 8/19/12 at 7:27am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Questions on Reshelling IEMs. Last post on 6/6/12 at 7:57am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference? Last post on 8/3/14 at 3:51pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Lisa III and SE535 for portable audio setup Last post on 9/10/11 at 4:05pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
Fist of all, this is my first ever review,and English is not my native language, so please, have some understanding . I bought these headphones 9 months ago, they were my first "quality"...
Hi All, I have done a video review of Hifiman HM901. Thanks for watching :)
You can pay more for a dac alone and not do as well as the 105. You can buy a blue ray player for more and not do as well. Ditto for cd, sacd, and/or DVD players. Its audio preamps are as good as...
The 2014 Brainwavz S5: A Single Dynamic Driver IEM Specifications Found here: www.yourbrainwavz.com/s5.html No measurements for the S5 were available at the time of this...
SO, lets get on to it. The MTPC's are a pair of IEM's that are in a very akward position. It is quite pricy and rejected by the "purist audiophiles" that dislike the brand of Monster, due to...
Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread! - Page 3post #31 of 59611/16/11 at 9:27pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 59611/18/11 at 9:04pm
I was wondering what genre these guys might sound good for. After reading the review I am highly inclined to get a pair for myself, seems pretty value for money!
I listen to nearly everything, but usually focus on Symphonic Power Metal bands, such as Nightwish. Any comments on this? D:
Oh and, awesome review mate, I appreciate your efforts in contributing back to the community! :Dpost #33 of 59611/19/11 at 6:42amThread Starter
While many custom IEMs are better for one genre or another in this price point, the sound signature of the 5X makes it a good all-around sound that for me works with everything from metal (such as Nightwish) to rock to pop to easy listening. It is not the fastest.sounding or most analytical, but symphonic power metal, which is a decent part of my collection still sounds great. If the 5X is not as good with any particular genre, I would say classical just because the slightly mid forward presentation doesn't match as well as a more laid back presentation of something like the TS842.
If you do get the 5X, please let us know how you like it!post #34 of 59611/19/11 at 4:34pm
I'm still considering the the AUD5x, but as I just got the CK100s and UM3x, Im deciding to do a little more listening time before making the decision for customs
I decided to let the ck100s go, I find that indoors, the ck100s are much more pleasant to listen to, with the space and effortless dynamics.
But as I use iems more out and about compared to indoors, while Im outside I don't notice the space so much, and yearn for detail in the outside environment
I'm growing to like the um3x more, as it has superb instrument separation, albeit everything being way too close. But that works well when I'm outside
How would the AUD5x compare with the ck100s and um3x?
Maybe specifically in the bass and mids
I'm just posting on this threat hoping it might help someone else make a decision :)
Jamespost #35 of 59611/19/11 at 10:54pmThread Starter
I have never heard the CK100s so I can't comment on that and I don't have a UM3X for comparison. But, deducing from how the SM3 and UM3X compare as well as how the SM3 and 5X compare, the UM3X is more mid-forward and has a good deal smaller soundstage. The aud-5X has at least as good, if not better imaging and 3D space to go along with superior technical ability including better transparency and dynamics. As far as smoothness and detail levels, I would have to have them here to really know, but I would venture to say that in the midrange and bass areas the 5X is more detailed.post #36 of 59611/19/11 at 11:25pm
I had always liked the UM3x when I was still using universals. If the Aud5x is a close match to the UM3x but with bigger sound stage, I will like to give it a try. Will be interesting to compare it with the 1964-Q, given the similar price. Just hoping the discount is still available.post #37 of 59611/20/11 at 2:49amHi Joe, do you think DRM can compete with the EM3pro musicality and soundstage depth?what are the similarities and differences between them?
Edited by miprasetya - 11/20/11 at 3:14ampost #38 of 59611/20/11 at 6:31ampost #39 of 59611/20/11 at 7:25ampost #40 of 59611/20/11 at 8:04amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Randius
I had always liked the UM3x when I was still using universals. If the Aud5x is a close match to the UM3x but with bigger sound stage, I will like to give it a try. Will be interesting to compare it with the 1964-Q, given the similar price. Just hoping the discount is still available.
To me, the presentation of the 5X is quite different than the UM3X as the UM3X is more mid-forward and less dynamic and coherent sounding. The overall space of the 5X is much larger than what I heard from the UM3X resulting in different a different proportion size. Speaking of that, the EM3 Pro is closer to the UM3X soundstage presentation proportions, but larger. And a comparison with the 1964-Q would be great!
It depends on the genre as the EM3 Pro is close to the best with certain very spacious tracks depth wise that I have, but in general the 5X sounds more musical to me because of the better clarity and balance. So, no, the soundstage depth of the EM3 Pro (and most other custom IEMs I have) is not on par with the EM3 Pro, but then the 5X is wider than the EM3 Pro, which has one of the smallest soundstage widths of my custom IEMs. I did a quick comparison between the two on the previous page here.Quote:Quote:
The shell isn't clear and at this point I only have 2 shells that aren't clear, so I am not 100% sure how it compares with a UM, but I think the UM stuff has a different finish that is shinier. It is not muddy or hazy, but in comparison I can't say. The closeup pictures bring out every flaw and I have no issues with the look or workmanship of the 5X.post #41 of 59611/29/11 at 4:31pmpost #42 of 59611/29/11 at 5:39pm
I actually did and should receive them in about two weeks, mid December. Mitch, the owner, is a really nice guy and replies to you within a day given he does not have a show so don't be hesitant to contact him.
Like I said before, I'll post again once I get them, given that I do not nearly have as much experience as some of the people on here.post #43 of 59612/4/11 at 9:48pmpost #44 of 59612/6/11 at 12:01pm
just placed my order for these solely based on Joes review since... well, no one else has ever heard these or any other from dream earz (most likely). crossing my fingers that i get wwhat joe got and wrote the review on! kinda scary that there are so many unknowns with this company. one known is that Mitch is pretty cool.
one thing i was unhappy with is that i requested his logo DE plus " aud-5x " on the face plate but i would have to pay the 50$ custom art work fee for the aud5x on there. given that its the product name, i feel it should have been free and i hope he takes it into consideration where all logos, etc will be free. especially with his logo being rather plain.
heres to hoping. cheers.post #45 of 59612/6/11 at 12:12pm
I got to meet mitch at a show he is a very cool guy I'd highly recommend drmearz solely based on meeting him and average_joe's review, I believe his custom's will not disappoint I'm going to order my pair soon hopefully by sunday.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
- Headphone Impedance
- › What smartphone screen size do you prefer? 1 minute ago
- › Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution?... 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 321 IEMs compared (NarMoo S1 added 09/04/14 p. 966) 2 minutes ago
- › HM-901 3 minutes ago
- › DT990 250Ohm / Pro 250Ohm, replace my current amp? 3 minutes ago
- › Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 5 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by NA Blur
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 350p Portable Headphones Brand New Black Free... by twister6
- › Sony MDR-CD 780 by mark235
- › EarSonics EM32 by Rollk2
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)