Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Descent headphones ($50) for office
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Descent headphones ($50) for office

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Ah, it's been a while :)

Maybe someone can help me out with this: I'm concidering buying one of my colleagues at work a new pair of headphones for birthday but I realised that I'm not ready to spend for them as much as I would usually spend for headphones :) And I don't really know any good deals under $100. The guy has never used descent headphones before so I think just the basic entry level heaphones should do. 

Here are some criteria they should meet:
Price ~ $50 - $60
Descent looking (reason I don't want to buy HD201)
Descent sounding
Shouldn't be too uncomfortable (another reason I don't want to buy HD201)
Office environment so shouldn't leak like crazy (so Grado SR60 is not an option)

 

Also they will most likely be plugged straight into sound card hence they should be fairly easy to drive.

post #2 of 15

"decent" sounding / looking is rather subjective.

Do you know their preferred genre(s)?

 

JVC RX700

superlux HD681

creative aurvana live

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 


I think he mostly listens to acoustic and rock. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidel View Post

"decent" sounding / looking is rather subjective.

Do you know their preferred genre(s)?

 

JVC RX700

superlux HD681

creative aurvana live



 

post #4 of 15
panasonic RP-HTX7
post #5 of 15

Panasonic HTF600, Superlux HD668B/HD681, maybe a Portapro, Koss KSC75

post #6 of 15

creative aurvana live! no hesitation, they're so comfy! and good sounding too

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 


was thinking about them too.

 

Personally I like the design of JVC RX700 better but they are just so freakin huge :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocolinho View Post

creative aurvana live! no hesitation, they're so comfy! and good sounding too



 

post #8 of 15

If you decide to go for the HTF600, do realize that they leak sound a lot more than closed headphones. They're effectively semi-open.

post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 

I know. Open back phones are not an option.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjiWatsuki View Post

If you decide to go for the HTF600, do realize that they leak sound a lot more than closed headphones. They're effectively semi-open.



 

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 

Panasonic HTF600, Superlux HD668B/HD681 and Portapro are open back. Not sure if that is the way to go for office environment (by office I mean a bunch of people working in one room :) )

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by crinacle View Post

Panasonic HTF600, Superlux HD668B/HD681, maybe a Portapro, Koss KSC75



 

post #11 of 15

Perhaps a Superlux HD661 then.

post #12 of 15

Do not get the Sennheiser HD238 ($57 Amazon).  They suck, and I can't believe they have a $140 MSRP.  One of the worst purchases I've ever made.  This is what I get for trusting Amazon reviews.

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurispunk View Post

Panasonic HTF600, Superlux HD668B/HD681 and Portapro are open back. Not sure if that is the way to go for office environment (by office I mean a bunch of people working in one room :) )

 


The HD681 are semi-open; low / med volumes likely won't bother anyone, unless they're directly on top of you. I wouldn't risk it if the person likes to seriously rock out though.

 

---

For acoustic/rock my personal preference would be 681 > RX700 > CALs

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 

:D noted.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post

Do not get the Sennheiser HD238 ($57 Amazon).  They suck, and I can't believe they have a $140 MSRP.  One of the worst purchases I've ever made.  This is what I get for trusting Amazon reviews.



 

post #15 of 15

My recommendation is:

 

exactly in the price range

well made - in Japan

very reasonably sized

comfortable to wear

vented but not really open -

virtually no sound leakage

excellent "punchy" sound

 

I have 2 pair - 

 

1 for the gym and 1 for generally walking around

 

Yamaha RH5MA Monitors

 

 

I recommend them highly; for the price I don't know

of better closed cans.

 

 

(tho' my usual portable headphones are Senn HD 25 I ii, which 

would be my first recommendation.  But they run 199.

pretty much everywhere.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Descent headphones ($50) for office