or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear - Page 19

post #271 of 457

Thanks for the heads up on the new firmware

post #272 of 457

The only thing that I don't like (couldn't find how to fix this so far), is that when I turn on the dac, it's per default, always on Coax input, and I have to select USB everytime. rather boring:)

that away, it's an amazing dac, I use it on my hifi setup, and tested on 3 setups, it surpass the teac UD501 in every way.

And with my grado PS1000 it's really a perfect match (no bright side)

post #273 of 457
Enter the menu > In/Vol Mem > set to Input or if you want it to remember the volume as well input+volume.

If you don't have this in the menu update your firmware.
post #274 of 457
Wow thanks didn't know that either
post #275 of 457

thanks, didn't know that neither:)

 

will try once I'm back home!

post #276 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schopenhauer View Post
 

Alas, I'm worried that regret might be inevitable. I already have the HP-A4. Do you think an upgrade makes a significant difference in the relevant areas? Ironically, I'm trying to future proof my system

 

 

After 3 days with the Th900 and the HP-A4......   I will be returning the amp/dac :(

 

It is not a good match for these headphones.  I like bass, however, I  found it a  little boomy and artificial to my ears.

 

The tiny Fiios E17 is a better match tonally speaking and it is more powerful too.

 

Now I am considering the A8 or the Concero HP...

 

Any thoughts....?

post #277 of 457
I like the a8 lots but looks like there is a dac amp for every listener so it is an opinion.
post #278 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whazzzup View Post

I like the a8 lots but looks like there is a dac amp for every listener so it is an opinion.


How would you describe the synergy between the A8 and the TH900s in  jazz and rock?

 

I have previously read that the  A8  sound is mellow.

 

Does this amp/DAC makes justice to the the spectacular low end performance of the TH900s ?

post #279 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whazzzup View Post

I like the a8 lots but looks like there is a dac amp for every listener so it is an opinion.


How would you describe the synergy between the A8 and the TH900s in  jazz and rock?

I have previously read that the  A8  sound is mellow.

Does this amp/DAC makes justice to the the spectacular low end performance of the TH900s ?

The a8 to me provides everything the th900 needs and the 3d imaging super low end responsive base is best heard through electronic and down tempo genres with a fantastic representation of jazz and blues accross the full spectrum. Est gives me goose bumps, Archie shepp and his sax in the blues genre is so close and personal it almost hurts but it doesn't. Vocals for lorde makes you weep but once again a genre that isnt necessarily out there commercially, down tempo and electronic gives your spine a shake with that low end torque of the a8 and th900 pairing. My least favourite, yet totally acceptable is rock genre. Maybe its the compression of the classics, queen aside, or more palatable are newer rock bands say jets overhead etc, that give the system its justice. I'm tickled pink by the pair, but I am a newbie in the sense there are plenty of posters who have many hours testing all kinds of pairings. For me it was more dumb luck, I chose th900 cause of research and the genre of music I listened too, the a8 because of its input options and tech specs and being made by fostex, I figured their flagship would be a great match for there flagship, couple that with my oyaide continental 5s usb and I turned Japanese as it were.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Edited by Whazzzup - 5/4/14 at 4:41pm
post #280 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whazzzup View Post


The a8 to me provides everything the th900 needs and the 3d imaging super low end responsive base is best heard through electronic and down tempo genres with a fantastic representation of jazz and blues accross the full spectrum. Est gives me goose bumps, Archie shepp and his sax in the blues genre is so close and personal it almost hurts but it doesn't. Vocals for lorde makes you weep but once again a genre that isnt necessarily out there commercially, down tempo and electronic gives your spine a shake with that low end torque of the a8 and th900 pairing. My least favourite, yet totally acceptable is rock genre. Maybe its the compression of the classics, queen aside, or more palatable are newer rock bands say jets overhead etc, that give the system its justice. I'm tickled pink by the pair, but I am a newbie in the sense there are plenty of posters who have many hours testing all kinds of pairings. For me it was more dumb luck, I chose th900 cause of research and the genre of music I listened too, the a8 because of its input options and tech specs and being made by fostex, I figured their flagship would be a great match for there flagship, couple that with my oyaide continental 5s usb and I turned Japanese as it were.
Hope this helps somewhat.


Thank you so much for your detailed review !!

 

I am ordering the HPA8 right now!

post #281 of 457

I also have the Oyaide 5S continental, as well as the L/I50 v4...got them for around $100 each which was an amazing price.

 

I wonder if there is any point upgrading to the L/I50 EXS or the Black Mamba Sigma


Edited by Matvei - 5/4/14 at 8:23pm
post #282 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowar View Post
 

 

 

After 3 days with the Th900 and the HP-A4......   I will be returning the amp/dac :(

 

It is not a good match for these headphones.  I like bass, however, I  found it a  little boomy and artificial to my ears.

 

The tiny Fiios E17 is a better match tonally speaking and it is more powerful too.

 

Now I am considering the A8 or the Concero HP...

 

Any thoughts....?

I haven't heard the TH900s. I'm working primarily with the HE-500s and the LCD-2s. Hitherto, I'd preferred running the LCD-2s out of the HP-A4 to running them out of my WA6 with the HP-A4 functioning as DAC. However, my ALO PanAm came today. The LCD-2s out of the PanAm are brilliant -- perhaps a better pairing than even the WA6 (with Sophia and 6GL7 upgrades) and the HE-500s. I have been amazed at the brilliance of the upgraded WA6 + HE-500 pairing; indeed, I'm surprised no one ever mentions it. It's special in much the way the PanAm + LCD-2 is special. I wonder how the TH-900s sound with the PanAm. It's something to consider.

post #283 of 457

Well,  I have been experiencing a never ending  EARGASM for over 4 hours with the TH900 and the HpA8, 

 

This is what I call  perfect synergy !!

 

Thick sound with spectacular tight bass in quantity and quality that does not affect the mids  plus a heavenly treble which sounds very detailed and not harsh at all....... and those liquid mids to die for.

 

The wide 3D soundstage wraps you in a roller coaster of sounds coming from everywhere...... it needs to be heard to be appreciated.

 

My musical background is very wide from Metal, to jazz and this dac/amp perfectly delivers in all counts. Even 320mps MP3s sound excellent.

 

I updated to the latest firmware and I tried different gain settings.... 0 and 10.... and both worked fine with these headphones I.M.H.O.

 

Comparing the HP-FA4 with the HPA4 is not fair.  The HP-FA8 just blows it  out of the water..... the bass is strong in both, bit the one in the HPFA8 sounds more natural and tighter, the mids are way better in the HPA8, they just sound more liquid / tubey.... , the treble is about the same, however, the 3D soundstage is just amazing on the Hpa8.

 

PD. I  purchased it from Sonic Sense and I already checked, it is 120v and comes with a 3 prong power cord.

post #284 of 457

I completed my trial with the TH900 and it was...okay. It felt like a high definition version of a general consumer headphone, with the extended bass, but the extra fast decay resolving very well. Nice mids and generally non-fatiguing (I had to adjust my source EQ a bit), but it never came close to wowing me. The most "wow" I got was from the fell of the leather earpads. They felt really high end. But I thought it fell quite short of my trusty and far more affordable Mad Dog/Magni pairing (I run a Peachtree Dac-It for the DAC there). Soundstage, the Mad Dogs killed the TH900, with the bass far better separated from the mids (probably something to do with the dynamic vs ortho thing) and I can wear the Mad Dogs for many hours (at least 4 before I need a break). Ear fatigue set in within an hour of the TH900.

 

TH900...Good headphone, nowhere near $1500 good. I thought they were beaten quite handily by the HD600 on the A8 (I did not care for the A8 amp/Mad Dog pairing, way too dark).

post #285 of 457

Your detailed trial of the Th900s was with other gear.

 

However, at the end you mentioned that the HD600s beat them with the A8 ......

 

I do not find my Th900s +HP-A8 combo  fatiguing at all, I can wear them for hours in a row.  In fact, one of the thing I love about them is that you can really hear everything at moderate levels.

 

I am in heaven with the Th900's and the A8.....


Edited by mariowar - 5/14/14 at 5:44pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear