At least it doesn't seem an issue with built quality, but an issue with "wet ears".
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 5/30/12
- productUltimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Casetagged by System, 5/30/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 5/30/12
- productYamaha EPH-M100 High-Performance Earphonestagged by System, 2/1/12
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- HELP!!! All rounder IEM under $200 Last post on 6/23/13 at 11:22pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Rap, Trance, Eurodance, pop, electronic <= ($150-$170) Last post on 8/9/12 at 2:00pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IE8 ? Monster Miles Davis Tribute ? some (relatively) bass-loving ba driver phones? for hard... Last post on 2/25/11 at 8:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Anyone else buy both the Turbines and the TripleFi 10 from Amazon? Last post on 12/9/10 at 8:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
If you told me that my review of a pair of headphones would somehow combine golf, science-fiction, sorcery and a supersonic jet I’d say you’re crazy. But then again if you told me I would...
I have been using the E17 "Alpen" every day for over a year now. It is my go-to device for enjoying music at work, or anywhere other than my home office. So, here are my thoughts: Build...
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
This is a quick unboxing and review of the player. More detailed review coming soon.
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Yamaha EPH-100 - Page 189
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I think the EPH has a bit more bass. Quality is the same (by memory). But SM3's treble is WAY better. However instrument separation is superior on the EPH-100's and they're brighter. I think you would like them (except for the treble quality if you're a treble-head).
Edited by miow - 9/20/12 at 11:55am
Yep it's a minority, one that you should be aware of, may not seem like much when taking into account how many pairs have been sold. But when you raise the rate of issues by even a few %, it becomes a LOT when you look at it from that perspective.
From what I know of them.
You will be happier.
The moist ear wax part might be a problem. The other issue is the metal housing along with a temperature difference causing condensation. If the inside of your ear is 100 degrees and its also 100 or close to it in your room or outside then you probably wont have a condensation issue, but a 100 degree ear with it being 60 outside will cause condensation.
I have this same issue with my GR01 sometimes. For example, I had just cleaned my ears this morning and gave them a couple hours to dry. Later in the day i took a calm walk outside with my GR01's in, it was about 65 degrees outside. When i took them back out of my ears after a maybe 30 minute walk the tips were clean but there was moisture around the nozzles on my GR01's. This time it hadnt gotten bad enough to wet the paper filter, but i have had an issue before where it would wet the filter and id either have to let them sit and dry, or id have to unscrew the filter and blow through it to dry it or force the moisture away from the filter.
Now this isnt a permanent issue on my GR01 because the filter can be unscrewed and cleaned, but if the EPH-100 can't be taken apart to clean then this will be more of an issue. This is why a metal housing isnt always a good idea, especially when the nozzle doesnt come apart.
I also have moist ears wax, but are very clean so it's not what's the cause of the sound dying on one side.
Usually when you have moist ear wax, you have warmer ear canals and produce more moisture, which you can see a big collection of moisture collected on the nozzle/grills of the EPH100. You can clean them on the outside, but it's what's built up in the inside that kills the sound temporarily, and sometimes in rare cases - permanently.
Look, get the EPH100s as you'll probably enjoy the sound more over the GR07s as they have a more fun sound signature - however on the off chance that it does happen to you.. you'll regret it and wish you got the GR07s in the first place.
I sold my GR07s as I thought the EPH100s were going to last me for ages, then went through 4 pairs now...
Regretted selling my GR07s and going through the extent on getting 4 pairs of EPH100s, should've just spent a bit more and gotten the IE80 in the first place though!
I see no logical reason why it would happen on the right side only for multiple people. I havent read this whole thread, so i didnt realize its only been the right side thats going out. Thats is definitely a bit strange.
Its a shame that the only comments for the past 20 or so pages have gone to purley discussing this one, very, minority flaw that people just seem to be purely speculating on (105 owners and 3 issues so far on my count-still ongoing). Cant imagine the number of people that have been put off of one of the best sounding earphones under 300 imho due to the latter part of this. Its a damm shame.
As for mine, 500+ hours going strong and never an issue for what its worth.
- Yamaha EPH-100
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 17 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Technica CKX Information & Reviews Thread 2 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (2/17/2015: X2 -partial-,... 4 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 7 minutes ago
- › Got The Brainwavz S0 Today!! a.k.a. The S0 impressions thread. 7 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by mscott58
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2