New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yamaha EPH-100 - Page 167

post #2491 of 4201
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

Not really they are very good headphones with a lot of good things such as bass, midrange etc etc. but the treble is pretty strange.

I dont get how its strange, to me its not coloured as the mids and bass are its just reccessed from balanced while the other area's are forward nothing more nothing less.  Id take a reccessed treble any day over an overly bright sibilant pair.  I understand fully if its not for you (although choosing the 215 over these is a bit crazy to meblink.gif)  its just i would rather the thread stick to fact rather than the head-fi snowballing effect.  (eg. suggest eph-100........."nah I heard the treble on them is crap" ...... Its not even bad its in the good range, its 8.0-8.5/10 (reccessed) and for many people this is an ideal proposal for every day listening.)  

post #2492 of 4201
Quote:
Originally Posted by stozzer123 View Post

I dont get how its strange, to me its not coloured as the mids and bass are its just reccessed from balanced while the other area's are forward nothing more nothing less.  Id take a reccessed treble any day over an overly bright sibilant pair.  I understand fully if its not for you (although choosing the 215 over these is a bit crazy to meblink.gif)  its just i would rather the thread stick to fact rather than the head-fi snowballing effect.  (eg. suggest eph-100........."nah I heard the treble on them is crap" ...... Its not even bad its in the good range, its 8.0-8.5/10 (reccessed) and for many people this is an ideal proposal for every day listening.)  


The treble seem fine, but when you switch to something else you'd have to admit you were missing something in the treble.

post #2493 of 4201

The (huge) instrument separation, mids and bass compensate that, unless you're a treble-head like me that pay attention to the decay, refinement and stuff like that. For me cymbals have to sound ultra-realistic, I'm very demanding on that departement. But this is because I've heard the SM3, UM3X, HP700, HD650, K701, etc, or I wouldn't know.

post #2494 of 4201

oh definitely, they are not treble centric phones, i honestly believe that is part of what the were trying to achieve because it contributes to an great overall combined sound (and a unique one at that.  Treble is not where these shine and anyone buying it hoping for er4s etc treble sound would be disappointed, but as you say its fine.

post #2495 of 4201

I am not a treble head at all and I prefer recessed treble... In terms of sibilance and harshness the treble on the EPH-100 is good and there is nothing wrong with the volume of treble.... it is just the way it is presented... If you cannot hear it then that is good for you but personally the treble sounds thin and does not integrate with the other sounds.... This thin treble also affects the vocals.... It sounds feeble as if someone is hitting the cymbal with a matchstick instead of  a drumstick.... If you listen to the EPH-100 then go and listen to B&W speakers, Sennheiser HD650 or even the Shures... You can see exactly what I mean...

 

As I said I agree they are better technically than the Shures but overall the Shures are more natural sounding and better all rounders.... The shures dont make me go "wow" but also they don't make me think "hmm this treble sounds weird" lol... Anyway I will stop repeating myself now and let you make up your own mind lol... This is simply my opinion compared to my other equipment I own...


Edited by nicholars - 8/10/12 at 12:15pm
post #2496 of 4201
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

I am not a treble head at all and I prefer recessed treble... In terms of sibilance and harshness the treble on the EPH-100 is good and there is nothing wrong with the volume of treble.... it is just the way it is presented... If you cannot hear it then that is good for you but personally the treble sounds thin and does not integrate with the other sounds.... This thin treble also affects the vocals.... It sounds feeble as if someone is hitting the cymbal with a matchstick instead of  a drumstick.... If you listen to the EPH-100 then go and listen to B&W speakers, Sennheiser HD650 or even the Shures... You can see exactly what I mean...

 

As I said I agree they are better technically than the Shures but overall the Shures are more natural sounding and better all rounders.... The shures dont make me go "wow" but also they don't make me think "hmm this treble sounds weird" lol... Anyway I will stop repeating myself now and let you make up your own mind lol... This is simply my opinion compared to my other equipment I own...

 

You have demanding or perhaps clinical ears.  I highly value the opinion of people like that, even if that makes you look like you are spoiling the party.

post #2497 of 4201

Sorry I didn't mean to spoil the party I was just giving my opinion on them... Anyway I never said they were not good... It would be pointless having a forum if everyone just said "these are perfect"... They do sound very good for some genres but for me they are not all-rounders

post #2498 of 4201
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Sorry I didn't mean to spoil the party I was just giving my opinion on them... Anyway I never said they were not good... It would be pointless having a forum if everyone just said "these are perfect"... They do sound very good for some genres but for me they are not all-rounders


You are saying the same thing that I just said about spoiling the party, but with different words.

post #2499 of 4201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto01 View Post

 

You have demanding or perhaps clinical ears.  I highly value the opinion of people like that, even if that makes you look like you are spoiling the party.

 

I don't even think he's demanding. It's something that you notice immediately if you have other phones to compare it with. The treble isn't lacking in quantity, but the tonality is just...strange. Different doesn't always mean bad, and that is the case here.

post #2500 of 4201

One thing and the only thing that bothered me was the L/R on them. In a shadowed room kinda dim lighted, they're a bit hard to see. Or while doing something and you don't wanna waste time or get distracted to long looking for the L/R on the inside.

 

 

I put these on there. 

 

 

 

1000

post #2501 of 4201
On the left earphone's strain relief there is a little bump whereas the right side doesn't have that. therefore you can find the proper side even in complete darkness wink.gif
post #2502 of 4201

20 degrees are the just runner o rings? what diameter? 

post #2503 of 4201
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

I don't even think he's demanding. It's something that you notice immediately if you have other phones to compare it with. The treble isn't lacking in quantity, but the tonality is just...strange. Different doesn't always mean bad, and that is the case here.

 

Yes I am not even being fussy about it... To me it was blatantly obvious and I found it very noticable most of the time... Clearly it is something that either annoys you or it doesn't... I would still reccomend these for an audition though because if the treble does not bother you then they do pretty much everything else very well.. Also there are not many good IEM in the same price bracket.

post #2504 of 4201
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto01 View Post

 

You have demanding or perhaps clinical ears.  I highly value the opinion of people like that, even if that makes you look like you are spoiling the party.

 

I don't even think he's demanding. It's something that you notice immediately if you have other phones to compare it with. The treble isn't lacking in quantity, but the tonality is just...strange. Different doesn't always mean bad, and that is the case here.


That is not much different from being clinical or demanding.  I am sure that I would have the same reaction if I got to try them.  In fact, the EPH-100 treble warnings on this thread kept me from getting it a while ago.  I know that I made the right decision.


Edited by Alberto01 - 8/10/12 at 2:01pm
post #2505 of 4201
Quote:
Originally Posted by stozzer123 View Post

20 degrees are the just runner o rings? what diameter? 

Just small o-rings. Don't know the size as I just got them at the hardware store.

The bump I know of, but seeing the red is much faster and better for me as I don't read Braille. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: