Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD800 "Anaxilus" Mod
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD800 "Anaxilus" Mod - Page 12

post #166 of 189

Thanks for the info about this mod. However, I ended up not keeping it. Maybe it was just me, but I feel like the sound was a bit more congested and lacked some of the definition that was present prior to modding. I felt that this outweighed the slight reduction in sibilance that I noticed.

post #167 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshuse View Post

Thanks for the info about this mod. However, I ended up not keeping it. Maybe it was just me, but I feel like the sound was a bit more congested and lacked some of the definition that was present prior to modding. I felt that this outweighed the slight reduction in sibilance that I noticed.

 

You are not the only one. HD800 in stock form is just perfect... People complain about 6khz emphasis but I take it as an intented feature that helps to make HD800 as unique as they are. It's not like you hear all the time a certain emphasis, definitely not... But try to EQ out that region and you loose the ultimate experience HD800 offer (imaging especially).

post #168 of 189

I ended up just using the Inner Fidelity PDF template and just the foam, without dust covers.  That struck the right balance for me.  My first attempt and with an old template also took "too much" away for me.  My recommendation is to keep it in mind as a potential mod and if you find too much treble/upper mids, try it again with less foam.  Still the cheapest way to tune the HD800. 

Reply
post #169 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post

I ended up just using the Inner Fidelity PDF template and just the foam, without dust covers.  That struck the right balance for me.  My first attempt and with an old template also took "too much" away for me.  My recommendation is to keep it in mind as a potential mod and if you find too much treble/upper mids, try it again with less foam.  Still the cheapest way to tune the HD800. 


Definitely the cheapest. I would recommend that everyone at least try it out. It was cheap, super easy, and completely reversible. However, in the end it just wasn't for me. With respect the the sibilance, my most enjoyable improvement came from switching over to a copper cable.

post #170 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshuse View Post


Definitely the cheapest. I would recommend that everyone at least try it out. It was cheap, super easy, and completely reversible. However, in the end it just wasn't for me. With respect the the sibilance, my most enjoyable improvement came from switching over to a copper cable.

im thinking along the same lines myself - which copper cable worked out for you ?

post #171 of 189

i was incredibly impressed by the HD800 when I was able to test it over a few hours.  I do wonder if the 6K bump contributed to the sense of its incredibly clarity/detail.  Seems like that those who took it down felt it became less clear.  

 

UL

post #172 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedphonz View Post

im thinking along the same lines myself - which copper cable worked out for you ?
X2....plus some care in matching to a good digital source and tube amp helps too. Anyway, it is a very transparent hp at the end of the audio chain, so garbage in, garbage out.
post #173 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post
 

I ended up just using the Inner Fidelity PDF template and just the foam, without dust covers.  That struck the right balance for me.  My first attempt and with an old template also took "too much" away for me.  My recommendation is to keep it in mind as a potential mod and if you find too much treble/upper mids, try it again with less foam.  Still the cheapest way to tune the HD800. 

 

I installed the Inner Fidelity PDF template version on my HD800 (thanks for foam cutouts CeeTee).  I didn't want to run the risk of leaving everything exposed without the stock dust covers, so I installed my own aluminum mesh covers.  Just as transparent as sans dust covers and it still protects the drivers from accidental pokes.

 


Edited by jazzfan - 9/4/13 at 8:59pm
post #174 of 189

I have Tyll's modified HD800 and tested them against the AKG K712 Pro.  Without having a stock HD800 on hand I cannot comment on the change, but compared to what I remembered about the HD800 the mod definitely tames the high end.  So much so that the modified HD800 is my preferred headphone even with the LCD-3 laying right next to my rig.  The dynamics, resolution, and comfort of the HD800 is extremely difficult to improve upon.

 

Great mod thanks to all who are involved with it.

post #175 of 189

If anyone has any extra materials to make an extra anax mod and would like to make one for me, please PM me! I have a pair of refurb hd800s coming from crutchfield in about 2 weeks or so and would like to try the mod.

post #176 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
 

I think you guys got trolled...  at least per his signature block, C411 doesn't appear to actually own the 800's.

 

Wow it's been longtime I visited this thread, skeptic you can assume what ever you like to assume.

Why would I spend time trolling here if I don't have one ? I was just asking if I have a defective or something. 

post #177 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post
 

 


Given the badly cropped sports car avatar, it's either nwavguy or one of his minions.

 

Sorry I am not nwavguy, I don't know who that is.  Why don't you buy HD800 first and post something in this thread ?

post #178 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post
 

Sorry I am not nwavguy, I don't know who that is.  Why don't you buy HD800 first and post something in this thread ?


I'm gonna give you a +1 cause you're a pretty funny guy.

post #179 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner100 View Post


I'm gonna give you a +1 cause you're a pretty funny guy.

 



Haha, I am trying smily_headphones1.gif I was honest with my HD800 question, back then I was a noob so didn't know how to setup or build the system around the sennheiser.
post #180 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post
 

I ended up just using the Inner Fidelity PDF template and just the foam, without dust covers.  That struck the right balance for me.  My first attempt and with an old template also took "too much" away for me.  My recommendation is to keep it in mind as a potential mod and if you find too much treble/upper mids, try it again with less foam.  Still the cheapest way to tune the HD800. 

+ 1 on the less foam if too much trebble/upper mids. but to add something non-scientific to that, I tried two variations of the mod from innerfidelity. The first one I used double sided pads - this one felt like it took a bit more from the overall definition than i like.  Then I tried a second one - this time using Fast Grab Tacky spray to attach the felt to the foam - a really thin layer of that spray - just enough to make it stick evenly.  I found this to be the best compromise.  Im trying to make sense of this and since i dont have software/ means to measure and test this finding, I just attributed it to the fact that the spray on the felt didnt introduce too much damping material that may take out some of the much desired definition of our beloved hd800 compared to the double sided adhesive sheets.

I will try an adhesive-backed felt material on the foam - so I  won't have to use spray or the double sided tape and see if makes a difference.  Also will try it with velvet paper.  This is actually a very cheap and fun mod. Thanks for sharing this guys!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD800 "Anaxilus" Mod