Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The iBasso D7 "Sidewinder" true 24/196 USB, images first page.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The iBasso D7 "Sidewinder" true 24/196 USB, images first page. - Page 3

post #31 of 93

My expectation was a little more pessimistic, around 320-340 usd. This is great :)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinzemaitis View Post

 



I just inquired about the price and details and received this email from iBasso, and my guess it will be priced at ~280 b/t the D6 at 275 and D12 at 285

 

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
The D7 is a USB-DAC, it cant take digital signal from iPods.
The price is btw 200 to 300USD.
 
Sincerely
iBasso Audio


 

post #32 of 93

Very true, seems like a deal even though I am new to AMPs and DACs. But still a tad pricey on my budget, I really dont need the DAC so Ill probably get a T5 or a e11, much cheaper.

post #33 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinzemaitis View Post

Very true, seems like a deal even though I am new to AMPs and DACs. But still a tad pricey on my budget, I really dont need the DAC so Ill probably get a T5 or a e11, much cheaper.



and will save space :)

post #34 of 93

Exactly no need to lug that DAC around with my iPod, saving my wallet a bit too biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post



and will save space :)



 

post #35 of 93

popcorn.gif

post #36 of 93

i'm wondering how they are going to do this with usb power, most implementations of the sabre dac (with clock) without output stage, power for the regulators or a usb input are around 300ma because the internal clock runs at ~1.5Mhz (yes you read that right) add usb circuitry and an IV stage and i just dont see how this can stay within the 500ma usb power limit and thats the high current usb output limit, most are much lower. it needs 7 separate supplies for the dac chip alone

 

they could be running it synchronously to allow a lower speed clock and using its voltage mode output to avoid having to power an IV stage.

 

either way it should be interesting. ive been running this chip portable with a balanced headphone amp out for a while now, onto second generation (100% DIY and not for sale) and i can tell you it would starve on 500ma

 

and yes it is absolutely all about the implimentation


Edited by qusp - 11/25/11 at 8:15am
post #37 of 93

Maybe it'll run off two usb ports for power like some portable hard drives?

post #38 of 93

actually i need to qualify my statement above now reading it again

 

 

 

Quote:
because the internal clock runs at ~1.5Mhz (yes you read that right) 

what i mean is audio data is asynchronously reclocked at 1.5Mhz, the clock itself should be minimum 50Mhz and usually 100Mhz

 

 

 

Quote:
Maybe it'll run off two usb ports for power like some portable hard drives?

and just how useful do you think that would be portable? i doubt you would even find a laptop that has more than a single 500ma port, usually they have one if you are lucky and any others are lower current.

 

perhaps they just mean that the usb->i2s circuitry runs off usb

post #39 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post

i'm wondering how they are going to do this with usb power, most implementations of the sabre dac (with clock) without output stage, power for the regulators or a usb input are around 300ma because the internal clock runs at ~1.5Mhz (yes you read that right) add usb circuitry and an IV stage and i just dont see how this can stay within the 500ma usb power limit and thats the high current usb output limit, most are much lower. it needs 7 separate supplies for the dac chip alone

 

they could be running it synchronously to allow a lower speed clock and using its voltage mode output to avoid having to power an IV stage.

 

either way it should be interesting. ive been running this chip portable with a balanced headphone amp out for a while now, onto second generation (100% DIY and not for sale) and i can tell you it would starve on 500ma

 

and yes it is absolutely all about the implimentation


 


What kind of battery can handle this. If you say that the reasonable consumption must be higher than 500 ma, so this means we need a 5000mah battery to get 10h of it. (I hope I did get this right)

post #40 of 93

yep, well its not quite that simple. USB has max 500ma @ 5V so 2500mW the sabre (disregarding the IV stage which will use higher voltage) requires several regulated voltages some @ 3.3v and some at 1.2v, but in order to get those lower voltages they will have to be regulated down, so without knowing the exact design its hard to say how much of that voltage drop will just be thrown off as heat in the process. but in order to use the balanced output, even if it doesnt have the balanced out (which i assume it does) in order to make use of the DNR it will also need to have some voltage on the negative rail. your math is also quite neat, as it assumes that they can find a way to use every drop of energy in each cell equally so they all run out at the same time (not going to happen). 

 

in short though, yes at least that and i find it highly unlikely that they would be shooting for 10hrs, possible i guess, but unlikely. some polymer batteries will get much larger than that, its unlikely to be lifepo4, which s my personal favorite, because it would be too large given the size they have said the unit will be, so has to be lipoly or one of the more energy dense chemistries. put it this way, the battery in my one will put out 70A @ 14.4v all day long (well till it runs out, which at over 1000W would be much shorter hehe) the power is not a problem for modern lithium batteries. they will put out much more than that for short periods

 

taken from the linear website from some random battery charge manager (the first link that came up)

 

 

 

 

Quote:
the charger must limit the current drawn from the 5V USB bus to either 100mA (500mW) or 500mA (2.5W) depending on the mode that the host controller has negotiated. 

 

 

so those are the 2 modes a usb bus generally has, i was just double checking as i had both 500mA and 500mW in my head, but now i know why.

 

but now i'm just going to sit back and see what they come up with

 


Edited by qusp - 11/26/11 at 5:06am
post #41 of 93

Anybody heard anymore about this?

 

post #42 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post



 


I'm just hoping somebody somewhere releases something that's cross platform compliant with whatever DAP and computer you choose to use. The only reason I don't get a Fostex or a CLAS is because I can't use it with anything else except an iPod. If they had something that would work with my computer and whatever DAP of whatever platform it was it would be nice. By the way it there anything out there that can bypass the DAC on an android device?

 


If the Android has USB OTG host capability you can technically use any USB DAC to plug into the Android and bypass its internal via USB.  This was confirmed to work with the E7 on the Nokia E9 but not yet on an Android device. Maybe I will buy a Samsung Galaxy Note and try. But I hate how Samsung has proprietary USB, so maybe it won't work as planned.

 

post #43 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post

yep, well its not quite that simple. USB has max 500ma @ 5V so 2500mW the sabre (disregarding the IV stage which will use higher voltage) requires several regulated voltages some @ 3.3v and some at 1.2v, but in order to get those lower voltages they will have to be regulated down, so without knowing the exact design its hard to say how much of that voltage drop will just be thrown off as heat in the process. but in order to use the balanced output, even if it doesnt have the balanced out (which i assume it does) in order to make use of the DNR it will also need to have some voltage on the negative rail. your math is also quite neat, as it assumes that they can find a way to use every drop of energy in each cell equally so they all run out at the same time (not going to happen). 

 

in short though, yes at least that and i find it highly unlikely that they would be shooting for 10hrs, possible i guess, but unlikely. some polymer batteries will get much larger than that, its unlikely to be lifepo4, which s my personal favorite, because it would be too large given the size they have said the unit will be, so has to be lipoly or one of the more energy dense chemistries. put it this way, the battery in my one will put out 70A @ 14.4v all day long (well till it runs out, which at over 1000W would be much shorter hehe) the power is not a problem for modern lithium batteries. they will put out much more than that for short periods

 

taken from the linear website from some random battery charge manager (the first link that came up)

 

 

 

 

 

 

so those are the 2 modes a usb bus generally has, i was just double checking as i had both 500mA and 500mW in my head, but now i know why.

 

but now i'm just going to sit back and see what they come up with

 


No need to worry about that anymore, the D7 will have the WM8741 instead of the ES9018 :), but you will be surprised even more to know about the DX100.

 

Source: http://www.ibasso.com/en/news/show.asp?ID=112

 

DX100 discussion: http://www.head-fi.org/t/583448/ibasso-dx100-reference-dap-es9018-inside

 

post #44 of 93

yeah saw that; a voltage out dac, saves energy as no iv stage is needed, not as high clock speeds etc, much easier. saw the dx100 too, its cool and all, but unless the specs are different to what it appears its not for me. not because its not impressive, because it is that; but because it offers nothing i dont have bar a touchscreen? and seems notably missing a couple things. its smaller though and a single unit which is cool. sure beats the hm801 imo, will be a very different sound sig though. 

 

i'll be interested to see the implementation theyve gone with to squeeze 10hrs battery life. i'm calling voltage out mode


Edited by qusp - 12/4/11 at 1:37pm
post #45 of 93

I asked iBasso their price on the D7 since changing the DAC chip and they said sub $250! 
:D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The iBasso D7 "Sidewinder" true 24/196 USB, images first page.