Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread - Page 23

post #331 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golotripa View Post

Hi guys just got a pair of 2900s.. Was expecting big bass presence but it's almost the same as my HD650s. Is this normal or will burn-in perhaps change this? I have burnt in around 5+ hours. They are awesome with movies though :)


They aren't going to change dramatically. If anything the bass will probably clear up some, but it will be a small change. If you don't like them now, you probably never will unless you just learn to like that sound.

post #332 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrocheesium View Post


They aren't going to change dramatically. If anything the bass will probably clear up some, but it will be a small change. If you don't like them now, you probably never will unless you just learn to like that sound.

Ok thanks.. well bass has definitely cleared up already and hitting so much harder since I posted.. I'm also slowly getting used to the sound - I'll give it some more time and maybe  pairing with a tube amp may be perfect for me. Thanks again

post #333 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post

5 hours.

 

take that 5, times it by 10 or 20.  Just in my experience with the 2500's anyhow. Others might feel the same.

Ok yeh I'm at around 10hrs and already seeing big changes - I'll definitely times it by 20 before I bother people on the forum lol - Thanks

post #334 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golotripa View Post

Ok yeh I'm at around 10hrs and already seeing big changes - I'll definitely times it by 20 before I bother people on the forum lol - Thanks


Our experiences with the PRO 2900 are already quite different, hehe. Hope they turn out well for ya!

post #335 of 404

Hello, I thought I would share my short experience with the 2900's. Upon arrival, I immediately toss them on my cd changer to get some hours of burn in. I didn't even put them on my head to give a quick listen. After I had about 35 hours of burn in time, I started to listen to some of my fav tracks. My first listen was a couple of cuts off of a Tower of Power cd. Woa, trumpets were way out front, almost too shrill. After reading many posts on this board, I thought I would let them have more burn in time. After another 20 hours or so, I discovered that the left channel driver was not working. I was able to get some periodic sound by bumping the left side, but for the most part nada, they were dead. So I packed them up and sent them back to my dealer (Dan at Blackbird Audio/ San Diego....great to deal with). He ordered another pair for me. I got an email from him about 5 days later saying that the new set came to him from Ultrasone with the same problem (left driver dead). So he shoot a refund of my purchase cost back to me.

 

I was toying with the idea of purchasing a pair of Signature Pros, but with the quality control issues with the 2900's I have opted for a pair of Fostex th900's (waiting for them to arrive next week). 

 

So that's my story. 

post #336 of 404
I have 4 Ultrasone headphones right now plus a fith that I sold after owning it for more than 2 years. None of them ever failed. But also all other phones I owned did not show any failure. Maybe this was just bad luck.
post #337 of 404

Same thing happened to mine. Sent to be repaired. Three weeks and have heard nothing back yet. Mine were out of warranty though. Hope not too expensive to fix.

post #338 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacb3 View Post

Hello, I thought I would share my short experience with the 2900's. Upon arrival, I immediately toss them on my cd changer to get some hours of burn in. I didn't even put them on my head to give a quick listen. After I had about 35 hours of burn in time, I started to listen to some of my fav tracks. My first listen was a couple of cuts off of a Tower of Power cd. Woa, trumpets were way out front, almost too shrill. After reading many posts on this board, I thought I would let them have more burn in time. After another 20 hours or so, I discovered that the left channel driver was not working. I was able to get some periodic sound by bumping the left side, but for the most part nada, they were dead. So I packed them up and sent them back to my dealer (Dan at Blackbird Audio/ San Diego....great to deal with). He ordered another pair for me. I got an email from him about 5 days later saying that the new set came to him from Ultrasone with the same problem (left driver dead). So he shoot a refund of my purchase cost back to me.

 

I was toying with the idea of purchasing a pair of Signature Pros, but with the quality control issues with the 2900's I have opted for a pair of Fostex th900's (waiting for them to arrive next week). 

 

So that's my story. 

Great choice with the TH900s.. I ended up selling my signature pros to fund my TH900s and never looked back.. 

post #339 of 404
Ha! That is not totally true. We heard you missing it several times on HEADFI.
post #340 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

Ha! That is not totally true. We heard you missing it several times on HEADFI.

there's no doubt its an excellent portable headphone, but it never came close to my overall enjoyment of the TH900s (which I made clear whenever a comparison came up). I did commonly indicate that the SP was the best Ultrasone offering I had experienced and a overall great headphone.. so I stand by my post above - im pretty aware of what i've said previously...

post #341 of 404

Update:

 

   Sent cans to Ultrasone in California cost me $10 to ship but free to repair. I think the driver was defective from factory. They sent back with description : warranty repair.

   They also stated to allow 30 hours burn in. I don't think that's long enough at least it wasn't for mine. At least 100 hours until mine stopped changing their sound.

   Also found that pushing the cans back further on my head brought out some of the treble,midrange  and increased the soundstage.

post #342 of 404
post #343 of 404

Seems to be quite a few impressions of the Pro 2900 as being bright. 

 

Is this related to bad amp-matching - anybody have had that experience?

post #344 of 404

No, they just are bright, the issue is with almost all of their titanium plated drivers.

post #345 of 404

Just got my 2900's for a steal on ebay ($300) I have about 40 hours of burn in and they keep getting better and better. 

The Mids are a little recessed for my taste but when I raise them on my EQ it sounds just perfect. Best can for electronic music I've ever heard. My question has to do with upgrading the stock cable. I was thinking Blue Dragons but wanted to hear from you guys on how they round out the sound? From what I've read it seems to completely get rid of any sibilance that might be left after burn in and tighten up the already lightning fast bass. I know the effects are subtle in most cases. Any reports of the soundstage opening up even more and maybe bringing out those classy mids? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread