Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best headphones under $150
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best headphones under $150

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 

Well, to start I'm very new to this site... still dripping with amniotic fluids, so I thought it would be best to get advice from the more seasoned members before I purchase a new set of headphones ( current pair blew out on the right ear).

 

So the question now is, What would you guys and gals consider the most suitable headphones for me within the price range of $1-$150.

 

Information about me:

My music collection consists of about

-60%Hip Pop (includes rap, r&b)

-20% Pop (includes mainstream pop, k pop, bubble pop, soda pop,)

-10% Other ( includes but isn't limited to Dubstep,Celtic,theme songs,techno...)

-7% Rock (includes Rock.)

-3% Country (includes trucks, dogs, and wives)

 

I love a good bass in my headphones, that make me feel the beat of music really good.

 

 

At first I wanted to get one pair of headphones for gaming (with mic) and music, to kill two birds with one stone, but then I was told that it's best to have a separate pair of headphones for each of those tasks.so If you could take the time to recommend a good pair of gaming headphones as well, that would be nice.

 

Edit: I prefer closed, over ear headphones.


Edited by RockJaw - 10/25/11 at 8:58am
post #2 of 40

Are you going to use them for Shooters like Battlefield or Call of Duty, where you need to pinpoint sounds?  If not, then I recommend you get the Denon D1100.  It is small, light, comfortable, easily driven and has a hell of a lot of bass.  You can then get cheap clip on mic for under 10 bucks on ebay that will attach to the cable of the headphones than hangs down.  

 

Thats the best bassy solution for gaming without the need to poinpoint sounds, just to enjoy the game and get some great bass.  There is also the Beyerdynamic DT700 if you can find it used.  Its much bigger but sounds good and is very comfortable.  

post #3 of 40

Fischer FA-011 will work perfectly for you excellent detail, sound stage and bass.  Will do your music genres very well and perform exceptionally well in gaming.

 

Honorable Mention would be Panasonic RP-HTF600, great value with good sound stage and bass, not as clear/positional as the Fischers but still better than most in your price range.

 

 

Sorry just realized you wanted closed cans.

 

For music - m50's Sony XB series

For Gaming - hard to say a good set that is closed, Ultrasone Pro 550 are the best I've used, however, very hard to get the soundstage needed in closed cans.


Edited by derycksan - 10/25/11 at 1:56pm
post #4 of 40

Music: JVC HARX700 or XB500's

Gaming: Superlux HD681

post #5 of 40

Grado sr60i's (or 80's your call...) for music

The Superlux HD681 Fabio suggested is really nice for gaming.

post #6 of 40

RockJaw, it would help to know what your plugging the headphones into.

mp3 player?

Computer On board sound?

Computer with a Sound card?

 

 

post #7 of 40

XB series (500/700) or Koss Pro DJ100.

 

My 2 favorite headphones under 150. Either would work for you, but I think you may prefer the XB series. 

 

Note: I haven't tried the FA-011 but I really want to.

post #8 of 40

It seems like the music you mostly listen to requires a good bit of bass, and my personal recommendation for such a headphone under $150 is the Ultrasone HFI-580. The Panasonic RP-HTF600 also gets a lot of love here, but that's mostly because of how well it does at the price, and I think you could do better with your budget. For gaming I would recommend the Audio-Technica AD700 plus a separate mic. Like swbf2cheater said, if you don't play precision shooters the situation is different. The Ultrasones should be more than enough in that case.

post #9 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

RockJaw, it would help to know what your plugging the headphones into.

mp3 player?

Computer On board sound?

Computer with a Sound card?

 

 



Thank you all for the replies so far, and to answer your question, I will be using them on a computer with a Soundcard, and also with an Iphone 4s

post #10 of 40
Thread Starter 

So I've narrowed down my given options to the XB 700, and ATH M50,

 

Whats to choose?.

post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by derycksan View Post

Fischer FA-011 will work perfectly for you excellent detail, sound stage and bass.  Will do your music genres very well and perform exceptionally well in gaming.

 

+1

 

If you can stretch to using open cans then these have no equal in your price range, they easily compete with $300+ cans.
 

 

post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJaw View Post
Thank you all for the replies so far, and to answer your question, I will be using them on a computer with a Soundcard, and also with an Iphone 4s


What the make and model number of your sound card?

 

 

post #13 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post


What the make and model number of your sound card?

 

 



Well here comes the embarrassing part.. >_> I'm still using the stock Conexant high Definition SmartAudio 221 card that came with the laptop, cause I don't know how to upgrade Soundcards.

If you could include how to do that, I would love that lol.

post #14 of 40


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJaw View Post



Well here comes the embarrassing part.. >_> I'm still using the stock Conexant high Definition SmartAudio 221 card that came with the laptop, cause I don't know how to upgrade Soundcards.

If you could include how to do that, I would love that lol.



Between the two I would choose the M50. As for the soundcard, I would recommend getting an external DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) instead. They have better performance for the price than soundcards, and connect through a USB cable. The only reason I would look at a soundcard is to save space, and some DACs are really small. I would take a look at the FiiO e10, looks like a great value. Mine's on pre-order. beyersmile.png

post #15 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrocheesium View Post


 



Between the two I would choose the M50. As for the soundcard, I would recommend getting an external DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) instead. They have better performance for the price than soundcards, and connect through a USB cable. The only reason I would look at a soundcard is to save space, and some DACs are really small. I would take a look at the FiiO e10, looks like a great value. Mine's on pre-order. beyersmile.png



So I'm looking at those right now, Do you just plug them in to the computer then plug your headphones into the external DAC?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best headphones under $150