Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Cardas Earbud / Hearing Aid Project (aka Cardas Mirrors)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cardas Earbud / Hearing Aid Project (aka Cardas Mirrors) - Page 5

post #61 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by daseinpdx View Post

Initial impressions. These are good in terms of providing an open sound.  Less of the plugged in feel of many IEMs.  Seem sensitive and efficient, louder than my IE800 and SM3v2.  On the other hand, the sound is not very clean.   On my AK100, I seem to lose the DAP's blackness and clearness.   Sounds distorted and noisey - compared to ie800.  To be fair though, those cost more than double the price!

 

The bass is definitely out front on these.  If you don't like that, these will not be for you.  However, if you like that, the bass has an even bigger slam than the IE800s. It is not as well-defined and crisp though.   Trade-off.

 

These were designed to be non-fatiguing.  This generally means that there will be a de-emphasis of the high end.   That is true here.   There is very little brightness and feels mid-and-low centric.   The IE800s are better with the high end.

 

I would have to say the ergonomics are not very good.  The cable is heavy, which can make on the go listening problematic.   It would be useful to have a clip to take pressure off the cable pulling on the ears.  There are only two sets of tips; both appear to be the same size and supplied with slightly different sound signature.   They are medium-sized double flanges, similar to those on earsonics - not small etymotics.   Insertion is not deep like with etys.  When I pull out the headphones from my ears, the tips can invert.  An annoyance, but I might be inserting them too deeply.

 

Okay, that is it for now.   More updates as I keep listening.

 

So are you:

  • happy with them
  • wishing you hadn't bought them
  • unsure the jury is still out

confused.gif

post #62 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 

So are you:

  • happy with them
  • wishing you hadn't bought them
  • unsure the jury is still out

confused.gif


Unsure really.   I want to give them a fair shot.   Some of the noise might clear up with burn in and figuring out the fit.  Also have to consider the price too.  Right now i still prefer the IE800, but it is more than double the price.   So, that might not be an option for other people considering these cardas headphones.  I don't want to end up just saying that a $1000 set of headphones sounds better than one for $425.  Duh!

 

Right now, I am disappointed based on some of the enthusiastic reviews, but I am still hopeful that I might find more to like as i get used to it.  I initially started out with unfavorable perceptions of many of the headphones that i now love - including the ie800.   Just wanted to give some initial impressions because i got several requests for reviews.

post #63 of 87
Mine will arrive tommorw (sat) anxious to compare notes with you. Have to say your review has my expectations set lower than SG's Usually at least with myself headphones and iem's take a few sessions to grow on me. Shure 535's took a year and the HiFiman 400 that I've owned 6 months still has the jury out . Hopefully during a session the light just comes on and POW the sound signature slams you just right !!
post #64 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachhouse View Post

Mine will arrive tommorw (sat) anxious to compare notes with you. Have to say your review has my expectations set lower than SG's Usually at least with myself headphones and iem's take a few sessions to grow on me. Shure 535's took a year and the HiFiman 400 that I've owned 6 months still has the jury out . Hopefully during a session the light just comes on and POW the sound signature slams you just right !!


I know what you mean.   Sometimes it also comes down to finding the right fit.   With the ie800, the bass was too bloated for me and made the sound really murky.   When I switched tips and found the right way to insert them, all of a sudden it was very clean and precise.   To be fair to the cardas phones, i think i am still working on getting the right fit with the tips.   I noticed that you can get a more balanced sound with a more shallow insertion, blunts the bass though - good or bad depending on what you like.   It also seems to reduce some of the noise and distortion.    Unfortunately, i still notice how rough it is when i turn up the volume.   They seem to be calibrated to work best with lower volumes.

 

In any case, don't let me taint your experience.   The thing about headphones is that it is really really difficult to make honest recommendations given individual differences on both subjective and objective levels.  I hope they work out great for you.

post #65 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by daseinpdx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachhouse View Post

Mine will arrive tommorw (sat) anxious to compare notes with you. Have to say your review has my expectations set lower than SG's Usually at least with myself headphones and iem's take a few sessions to grow on me. Shure 535's took a year and the HiFiman 400 that I've owned 6 months still has the jury out . Hopefully during a session the light just comes on and POW the sound signature slams you just right !!


I know what you mean.   Sometimes it also comes down to finding the right fit.   With the ie800, the bass was too bloated for me and made the sound really murky.   When I switched tips and found the right way to insert them, all of a sudden it was very clean and precise.   To be fair to the cardas phones, i think i am still working on getting the right fit with the tips.   I noticed that you can get a more balanced sound with a more shallow insertion, blunts the bass though - good or bad depending on what you like.   It also seems to reduce some of the noise and distortion.    Unfortunately, i still notice how rough it is when i turn up the volume.   They seem to be calibrated to work best with lower volumes.

 

In any case, don't let me taint your experience.   The thing about headphones is that it is really really difficult to make honest recommendations given individual differences on both subjective and objective levels.  I hope they work out great for you.

 

That's what I was hoping when I read your impressions. I have a particularly hard time with flanged tips so hopefully I can find something in my collection that works for me with these -- I ordered mine today just before you posted cool.gif

 

My go-to tips are usually the Sony Hybrids, any idea if those might fit?

post #66 of 87

Be sure to let these phones run at least 24 hrs. Mine opened up a lot after the first day. 
Also, the blue tips look just like the white ones but seem to be a little firmer. Strangely enough they seem to clean up the sound a bit. Try them and let me know what you think. 

post #67 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 

That's what I was hoping when I read your impressions. I have a particularly hard time with flanged tips so hopefully I can find something in my collection that works for me with these -- I ordered mine today just before you posted cool.gif

 

My go-to tips are usually the Sony Hybrids, any idea if those might fit?


Don't know the Sony tips.  From eyeballing it, these look a little larger than average.  Might fit generic tips with a little stretching.   Not the thin type, eg, earsonics.

post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R View Post

Be sure to let these phones run at least 24 hrs. Mine opened up a lot after the first day. 
Also, the blue tips look just like the white ones but seem to be a little firmer. Strangely enough they seem to clean up the sound a bit. Try them and let me know what you think. 


I tried both tips for about an hour each and then went to the white ones for most of yesterday.  had to take a break from them because they were giving me a headache.   shallow insertion gives a more balanced sound, more on the high end, but more fatiguing.   i will try the blue ones again today.  i will let you know how it goes.

post #69 of 87
These are all about the seal ! Spendt several hours today with the white tips. We had a wind storm blow thru the area a couple of days ago so I was using them while cleaning up my lawn bending over picking up limbs and finally while running the mower. Have to say first it is obvious Cardas makes cables these are maybe a tad to long but the build is very nice . The sound is great as long as the seal holds but for the most part they stay sealed by cinching up the cable under my neck after a couple hours I had to loosen it a bit for comfort then again I was constantly on the move. I was listening thru IPOD Classic ( lossless) and the Vorzuge Duo amp. Clapton,Knopfler,J J Cale and other master axe players was puttin a big ol smile on my face their guitar tone seemed dead on plus these guys have very nice bass not over bearing but not bashful which is just like I enjoy it. Tonight I'll listen in a more favorable environment plus will do some tip rolling never been a fan of duel flange going to try some comply's hopefully I will find a pair that will fit the thick nossle
post #70 of 87

def let us know if you get the complys working. 

post #71 of 87

For myself the complys are a good to test what an earphone is capable of with a good seal, but I cannot tolerate foam tips for long term listening.

post #72 of 87
I found Comply's that fit sorry I've ordered them some time ago and got some of every size but they are the largest diameter ones T500 I believe. This completely changed the sound signature and increased the comfort level . Bass is now in my face ! What an enjoyable bass it is ! Spaceboy by Smashing Pumkins was down right spiritual ! For a changeup threw in Knopler and Atkins Yakety Axe again I get it ! This is a tune I never got (lol) Oh Yeah I also get Guttenburg's review these are keepers Wish I could speak in more tech terms for all the tech junkies but alas that would take considerable study on my part an ol hippies just don't roll that way
post #73 of 87

Listened with the blue tips the whole day.   Unfortunately, i can't say that i like them better.  However, it helped me better understand the problem that I have with them.   I have gotten headaches from listening to these headphones the last couple of days.   I expected them to be less fatiguing, particularly since it is not especially bright.   I think the problem for me is the loudness of the harmonics as i turn up the volume.   This is the distortion that was bothering me before.

 

I tested these headphones on both my AK100 and sansa clip to make sure that the harmonics issue was not caused by the high output impedance of the AK.  I noticed that the bass was even stronger on the sansa; unfortunately, the harmonics was still harsh with this device as well.  So, it appears to not be behavior caused by high output impedance.

 

I would be curious if anyone has a problem with the harmonics being too loud as well.

post #74 of 87

popcorn.gif

post #75 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachhouse View Post

I found Comply's that fit sorry I've ordered them some time ago and got some of every size but they are the largest diameter ones T500 I believe. This completely changed the sound signature and increased the comfort level . Bass is now in my face ! What an enjoyable bass it is ! Spaceboy by Smashing Pumkins was down right spiritual ! For a changeup threw in Knopler and Atkins Yakety Axe again I get it ! This is a tune I never got (lol) Oh Yeah I also get Guttenburg's review these are keepers Wish I could speak in more tech terms for all the tech junkies but alas that would take considerable study on my part an ol hippies just don't roll that way

Hey! could you post a pic of them with complies on ?? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Cardas Earbud / Hearing Aid Project (aka Cardas Mirrors)