Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS-1tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS1000tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS2itagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/11
- productSymphones Magnumstagged by System, 1/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- I Really Need Some Help On A Suggestion Last post on 4/15/13 at 11:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Anyone else have Grados that have problems with the earcups falling off?? Last post on 5/23/14 at 9:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325is w/ flats vs. Rs1i Last post on 7/12/11 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Worth tracking down Alessandro MS2i? Last post on 6/16/11 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Just Ordered Grado SR325i Last post on 4/14/11 at 6:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
I just bought this headphone and it sound amazing, I did a burn in for about 20hr and the sound improve dramatically compared when the headphone was in the box. The comfort is phenomenal and due to...
Bought one of these to keep me going while I save for a replacement dac for my bedside rig. My previous Dac's have all been in the lower to mid end so this review is based on that level- Arcam,...
Details: Single balanced armature flagship universal IEMs from Final Audio Design Price: Heaven VII EU 550; Heaven VIII EU 600 Specs: Driver: Single BA | Imp: 24Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: not...
The Audeze LCD 2.2 is one of the most popular headphones on Head-Fi. Much has already been written about them, so adding yet another review may not offer anything new or different. However, when...
Grado modders go Magnum - Page 221post #3301 of 33092/20/15 at 9:06am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3302 of 33092/23/15 at 10:53ampost #3303 of 33092/26/15 at 4:21amThread Starterpost #3304 of 33092/26/15 at 2:21pm
Has anybody had the chance to compare a a magnum V5 built with the new SR325e?
I am planing to get a new 325e or a nice, cheap, used RS1i, but the idea of building another set of magnums has caught my attention lately.post #3305 of 33092/26/15 at 5:06pmQuote:Ahh. I listened to the 325 the other day but I don't remember if it was i or e. Sorry! I did listen to the RS1i, though. The main dif between the RS1i and the V5 is transparency. I guess you could say the RS1i is a bit smoother and the V5 is cleaner and punchier. The V4 by comparison is in between the RS1i and the V5 in transparency and cleanness and the V4 has more forward mids and vocals. With HD414 pads the V4 sounded somewhat similar to the 325 I heard when I put 414 pads on it but the frequency range balance like I said is more mid-centric on the V4 and the V4 is also more transparent. They were all nice sounding headphones.
Edited by joeq70 - 2/26/15 at 5:38pmpost #3306 of 33092/26/15 at 5:21pmQuote:
I like the Grado sound better, but I'm also wanting to revisit the Magnums, specially now that I have aluminum cups and sleeves!post #3307 of 33092/26/15 at 5:34pmpost #3308 of 33092/26/15 at 5:46pm
would love to get a pair of used drivers. Not sure if I wanna spend the asking price on a new pair since I have a pair of sr225i and also Px100 that are dangerously close to getting liberated fromtheir plastic prisons!! muhahaha (evil laugh).post #3309 of 33093/28/15 at 5:10amThread Starter
It has been a long time since I started this thread. Coming from the Grado modding crowd I took interest in the Magnums, then V4s, since the drivers were freely available, came at an acceptable price, and could be used in all sorts of housings. I then proceeded into the planar world, among others, and sold my Magnums, since I ultimately found them too shouty and lacking comfort.
By accident I again took some interest in these types of drivers, doing work on some used SR125i and now Turbulent V5 drivers. I am also using a kind of DIY hybrid GradoBeyer pad, for which I am using some L-cushs (cut to shape) and Beyerdynamic DT25 pads on top.
In addition I have been using my measurement rig (calibrated mic, flat coupler, no compensation) in order to "verify" my mods. Below I am sharing my V5 measurements and mods.
Stock Turbulent V5 drivers, in a Grado wood cup, open back:
Finished headphone, black ebony cups with black and white ebony nuance, closed:
Cup and driver
Driver in rosewood inner sleeve, GradoBeyer pad
Measurement of the finished headphone, closed cup, internal damping. Very neutral sounding.
Internal damping change, a little less distorion in the mids. Very nice sounding, clean and fast.
- Grado modders go Magnum
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Which headphones look the most expensive to you (Regardless of price)? 41 seconds ago
- › HiFiMAN @ StereoExchange Headphone Event Thursday March 19 in New... 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › The ALL NEW Hifiman HE1000 "The Can that Can" sans Rolex Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Mr Speakers Ether 3 minutes ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120 3 minutes ago
- › ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood (NEW ZMF FLAGSHIP!!!) Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2