I know it's probably been discussed but can anyone really compare the v.4 to X, or v.5? I heard that the v.5 wasn't worth upgrading to? Just curious.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS-1tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS1000tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS2itagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/11
- productSymphones Magnumstagged by System, 1/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- I Really Need Some Help On A Suggestion Last post on 4/15/13 at 11:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Anyone else have Grados that have problems with the earcups falling off?? Last post on 5/23/14 at 9:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325is w/ flats vs. Rs1i Last post on 7/12/11 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Worth tracking down Alessandro MS2i? Last post on 6/16/11 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Just Ordered Grado SR325i Last post on 4/14/11 at 6:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
In short words: The Fidue is on par with the Sony EX1000 (little less sound stage and depth, but better, more flat sound signature) Downside: Cable plugs to the earphone speakers was...
I am an audiophile and these cans really deliver! Spacious and open with a neutral but pacy kick. These phones are the business but deserve a headphone amp to really bounce! Nevertheless, you will...
HiFiMAN RE-300h Review with RE-400 comparisons and comments Disclaimer: The following review is my subjective assessment of the headphone. I am in no way affiliated with HiFiMAN nor am I...
Sorry for no actual review as i have just got into audio recently and this is my first pair or good headphones. But even i could tell there was alot of sub bass not loud but its definitely...
Ever since picking these IEMs up, they have been my go-to pair for almost every genre of music. They provide a great balance of neutrality paired with extremely forward and lush mids which do not...
Grado modders go Magnum - Page 210post #3136 of 32652/27/14 at 4:41am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3137 of 32652/27/14 at 4:54pmI thought X was 5?
3.5 was brighter than 4 Grey which have the best midrange and are my favorite. 4 black were inconsistent but were similar to the Grey at their best. X have more bass and less midrange detail. They are all quite similar to each other and the difference can be hard to tell at first.post #3138 of 32652/28/14 at 12:23amQuote:Originally Posted by sluker
I thought X was 5?
3.5 was brighter than 4 Grey which have the best midrange and are my favorite. 4 black were inconsistent but were similar to the Grey at their best. X have more bass and less midrange detail. They are all quite similar to each other and the difference can be hard to tell at first.
it is. i just worded it weirdpost #3139 of 32652/28/14 at 1:12pm
I just want to confirm with you guys. I have green dot on the solder plate for my drivers, that's fine. But I noticed my wires have blue band and a black band. I assume blue goes on the green side of plate and the black goes on the other?post #3140 of 32652/28/14 at 3:36pmIf you have the driver with the magnet side facing up, and the terminals facing away from you, the left terminal (the one with the green dot) is the positive. The other is the negative.
The wire colors don't matter, as long as you know which is positive, and which is negative. Usually the left and right channel will be different colors, and then there will be two that are a third color. These are the negatives.post #3141 of 32652/28/14 at 4:27pm
Took my SR60i drivers out, put in some magnum v5. Changed the headband ti a vintage grado w/ genuine leather (before they changed it to the fake plastic headband used now)post #3142 of 32653/1/14 at 3:22am
I have a question guys, should I keep the current band on my magnums or get the original grado leather one? If you aren't sure what headband I'm referring to check out my pictures.post #3143 of 32653/1/14 at 9:05am
As my music tastes have expanded I've been really missing the bass on my Grado's. I still love all the detail that the Grado's provide though, so I'm considering whether to spend my money on Symphones Magnum v5's, l-cush cups, and maybe new wooden cups, or buy a set of new cans (Audio Technica A900x). Any input at all would be really helpfulpost #3144 of 32653/1/14 at 9:23am
I'd go for something different. I don't think Magnums are going to get you more bass than Grados. Magnums aren't really much different than Grados in terms of their sound signature. They're just smoother and don't have as much bite.post #3145 of 32653/1/14 at 9:40amQuote:
There is definitely more bass with the magnums.post #3146 of 32653/1/14 at 10:27am
The Magnums are no doubt better than any Grado I've had -- SR80, SR80i, SR325i, Alessandro MS-2. And yes... there's slightly more bass, but it's not earth shattering. The point I was trying to make is that if I'm going for bass and bass accuracy I'm not going for a Grado-type headphone.post #3147 of 32653/1/14 at 10:46amQuote:Originally Posted by Mullet
The Magnums are no doubt better than any Grado I've had -- SR80, SR80i, SR325i, Alessandro MS-2. And yes... there's slightly more bass, but it's not earth shattering. The point I was trying to make is that if I'm going for bass and bass accuracy I'm not going for a Grado-type headphone.
I like the smoothness of the magnums compared to the other grado's but want another bass heavy earphone also.
There's a little car in my neighborhood and when it come around the corner the ground shakes and dogs run for cover. I want bass like that.post #3148 of 32653/1/14 at 6:55pm
...LMAO...bass like that can be rather fun. I am toying with the idea of a pair of DT770 for that (and possibly getting some wooden cups for them later) or maybe getting a knockoff of the Thunderpants made...either way, I am expecting more bass kicks from one of them.post #3149 of 32653/5/14 at 3:20amQuote:Originally Posted by joeq70
First, I have not used any pink noise or or any other burn-in mechanism other than playing music through them for my pleasure. I don't think they've changed much if at all since I got my V5 drivers, so my vote is no, there is no burn in necessary.
Second, the L-cush Grado pad is the best pad for the Magnum V5...the other pads don't even come close in my opinion.
Lastly, I have found that the source makes the most difference for the Magnum. I happen to use an Aune T1 which is a USB Tube DAC and solid state amp combined. It's the best thing I have heard for my Magnums. Check the Aune T1 thread here: CLICK HERE.
Feel free to PM me with any questions!
Sorry this is dating back some....but have you heard the Aune T1 vs the Little Dot 1+? how would you compare the two? I'm referring to using these with a magnum buildpost #3150 of 32653/24/14 at 6:25pmQuote:
Sorry for the late reply, but...I have not heard a Little Dot before. Sorry!
- Grado modders go Magnum
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread 38 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio WA7 vs. Schiit LYR 1 minute ago
- › TAKET H2+ (version 2 or 3) and amp which can drive it. 2 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Sony CD3000 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 4 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp 5 minutes ago
- › DAC/Amp ELI5, also what to get with my DT 990's, 250 ohms? 5 minutes ago
- › UK 2015 Head-Fi Meet (Cambridge - Saturday 25th April) 7 minutes ago
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3