Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado modders go Magnum - Page 206

post #3076 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYabbz View Post

Sorry to bother but do the Turbulent X Drivers have the same dimensions as the as the Grado Prestige Models with the "i" or the Alessandro MS1i? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to get a wood turner to make me some custom wooden cups out of the dimensions of the SR225i as I am having trouble finding accurate dimensions for the mushroom cups on google.

Side note - does anyone have any extra Grado Plastic Cups/Housing "i" for the Prestige models? I'm deathly afraid of messing up both the drivers and the cups during the removal process. Please PM if you have an extra set.

According to Luke at Turbulent Labs, the exact measurement for press fitting a magnum driver is 45.6mm and a depth of 9mm. This should be the same for any grado driver as well. I find it easiest to get it to 45mm and hand sand to fit. Hope that helps redface.gif
post #3077 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levictus View Post


According to Luke at Turbulent Labs, the exact measurement for press fitting a magnum driver is 45.6mm and a depth of 9mm. This should be the same for any grado driver as well. I find it easiest to get it to 45mm and hand sand to fit. Hope that helps redface.gif

 

Thanks man, really appreciated it.

post #3078 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levictus View Post


According to Luke at Turbulent Labs, the exact measurement for press fitting a magnum driver is 45.6mm and a depth of 9mm. This should be the same for any grado driver as well. I find it easiest to get it to 45mm and hand sand to fit. Hope that helps redface.gif

 That is absolutely the best way, the only problem is accommodating(or trying to) for shrinkage or expansion. Mine were press fit 2 weeks ago, now they are a little loose. BUT, i didn't seal or use anything on them, just bare wood. I believe one should apply the finish to the "close" dimensions, on the smaller side possibly, then let them cure and "settle" for a few days, Then go back and sand to press fit. Anyone with more experience please chime in. Im going to make another set soon, but i really like the sound of bare untreated limba so far,i don't know if danish oil will alter the sound or not,

post #3079 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

 That is absolutely the best way, the only problem is accommodating(or trying to) for shrinkage or expansion. Mine were press fit 2 weeks ago, now they are a little loose. BUT, i didn't seal or use anything on them, just bare wood. I believe one should apply the finish to the "close" dimensions, on the smaller side possibly, then let them cure and "settle" for a few days, Then go back and sand to press fit. Anyone with more experience please chime in. Im going to make another set soon, but i really like the sound of bare untreated limba so far,i don't know if danish oil will alter the sound or not,

You should go for this:
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-1-Qt-Clear-Shellac-Traditional-Finish-and-Sealer-00304H/100203332/
Awesome stuff! Wax free shellac won't soak too far into the wood like the Danish oil and gives a great finish with a couple coats. This is what thelostmidrange recommended to me. I use it on the outside and leave the insides naked.
post #3080 of 3222
Ya I have some shellac in the garage as well. I'm still under the impression that coat after coat even on the outside may be coloring the sound. But hell, who am I kidding I probably won't be able to tell.
post #3081 of 3222

Does anyone know how quick turbulent labs sends their drivers? I ordered almost a week and a half ago, living in USA.

post #3082 of 3222
The drivers take about 3 weeks to arrive...I live in Southern California.
post #3083 of 3222

Slightly off topic from magnums, but has anyone got the dimensions of the vibro cups?  Or would anyone be kind enough to draw me up something with them all on? :D 

post #3084 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post

The drivers take about 3 weeks to arrive...I live in Southern California.

Do they email you when they ship them or a tracking number?
Thanks.
post #3085 of 3222

Usually...but I forgot to mention, they were on sabbatical until 12/09/2013. I ordered a headband a while back and Jin let me know they would only ship on the ninth...

 

Maybe you should drop him a line and ask?

post #3086 of 3222
Yes I emailed them how long it takes. But no reply, that was a while ago.
I'll try again.
Thanks.
post #3087 of 3222

I can confirm the 9th was the day they shipped mine. I received an email with a tracking number for the headband. I think they don't usually send out the tracking number for their other products from what I'm reading in the FAQ.

post #3088 of 3222
Funnily enough, mine had a note on the envelope stating that if undelivered the package was to be returned to [insert German address here]. Very odd...didn't notice that the first time I ordered a pair.
post #3089 of 3222

What pads/mods would you say you would get a great sound signature for the most amount of genres? HD 414s? Flats? Looking for decent bass response with a slight tame highs.

post #3090 of 3222
Apparently the drivers were designed with the L-Cush in mind, but my latest build sounded artificially hollow and thin with them. I can only assume this is because they are press-fit this time instead of snugly mounted using foam strips. Fixed the problem by going to flats though. Next stop: TTVJ flats probably, just to see...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum