Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado modders go Magnum - Page 202

post #3016 of 3316

Anyone know where I can get reasonably priced ear pads like the Ear Zonk in the UK? Thanks. 

post #3017 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiman View Post
 

Anyone know where I can get reasonably priced ear pads like the Ear Zonk in the UK? Thanks. 

 

I thought there were was another off-brand that I saw on eBay for UK buyers.  Granted, not the ear Zonk, but still another less-costly option.

 

I'm not sure how much the true Grado G-cush pads cost in the UK, but I'd imagine that getting a pair of the Ear Zonk shipped to you from the U.S. from a citizen or forum member, would be quite a bit lower in cost than many other options.

post #3018 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

 

I thought there were was another off-brand that I saw on eBay for UK buyers.  Granted, not the ear Zonk, but still another less-costly option.

 

I'm not sure how much the true Grado G-cush pads cost in the UK, but I'd imagine that getting a pair of the Ear Zonk shipped to you from the U.S. from a citizen or forum member, would be quite a bit lower in cost than many other options.

Having a quick look on ebay, I can get the s cush pads fairly easily but prefer the hd414 for comfort.

The L and G cush are fairly expensive looking on amazon.

Does Ear Zonk have an email? Can only see a toll free US number. 

post #3019 of 3316
I have put mine up for sale
post #3020 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

I have put mine up for sale

 

Yes. Open headphones can be an issue and realized your ad earlier.  Tomorrow is Veteran's day, I guess you're not giving any 20% discounts for Vets?  :D

 

Of course, that was just sarcasm as I don't need another pair of headphones.

post #3021 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

Yes. Open headphones can be an issue and realized your ad earlier.  Tomorrow is Veteran's day, I guess you're not giving any 20% discounts for Vets?  biggrin.gif

Of course, that was just sarcasm as I don't need another pair of headphones.

haha cheers Wayne! I moved into a small apartment and the gf makes way to much noise lol
post #3022 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiman View Post
 

Having a quick look on ebay, I can get the s cush pads fairly easily but prefer the hd414 for comfort.

The L and G cush are fairly expensive looking on amazon.

Does Ear Zonk have an email? Can only see a toll free US number. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

 

I thought there were was another off-brand that I saw on eBay for UK buyers.  Granted, not the ear Zonk, but still another less-costly option.

 

I'm not sure how much the true Grado G-cush pads cost in the UK, but I'd imagine that getting a pair of the Ear Zonk shipped to you from the U.S. from a citizen or forum member, would be quite a bit lower in cost than many other options.

 

I got mine through a friend in the US, even having them shipped to the UK only cost me £18 in total :)
The original G-Cush pads in the UK are £50-ish which is about $80 or something crazy!

post #3023 of 3316
Going to make completely new limba cups as I the lumber still. So, I know thelostmidrange has said some dimensions for the "perfect" cup for magnums. But I believe that was for the v3/4. Should I go by those still? I'm open to suggestions here, keep in mind I could care less about style. No poly/laquer, no elaborate shaping. All I plan on doing is putting danish oil on the exterior just to help protect the wood from drying out. I also, would be very very intrigued to find if anyone has figured out this leather pad wrapping yet.
Edited by hemipowered007 - 11/13/13 at 8:08pm
post #3024 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Going to make completely new limba cups as I the lumber still. So, I know thelostmidrange has said some dimensions for the "perfect" cup for magnums. But I believe that was for the v3/4. Should I go by those still? I'm open to suggestions here, keep in mind I could care less about style. No poly/laquer, no elaborate shaping. All I plan on doing is putting danish oil on the exterior just to help protect the wood from drying out. I also, would be very very intrigued to find if anyone has figured out this leather pad wrapping yet.

 

Nothing yet on my front.  I did purchase upholstery grade velour for the purpose of making a prototype of such a pad cover so I could try them out.  Unfortunately, a few too many activities have prevented me from moving further in that direction.

post #3025 of 3316

.


Edited by austonia - 1/16/15 at 2:30pm
post #3026 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by austonia View Post
 

we need someone to step up with Alpha style pads (supple lamb skin + alt. vegan) for Grados.

 

$60 or less would be nice, but i'd do $80 to get it going

 

Actually, the upholstery grade velour that I purchased (black color) looks quite similar to the Audeze vegan pads, which are brown in color.

post #3027 of 3316

.


Edited by austonia - 1/16/15 at 2:30pm
post #3028 of 3316

Forgive me if i'm being stupid, but as velour is a textile is it not slightly stretchy?
Could one not use some sort of adhesive spray and wrap some pads? If the velour stretches it should adhere to the contours of the pads?
If I could get me another set of ear-zonks I wouldn't mind trying it actually :)

post #3029 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWorne View Post
 

Forgive me if i'm being stupid, but as velour is a textile is it not slightly stretchy?
Could one not use some sort of adhesive spray and wrap some pads? If the velour stretches it should adhere to the contours of the pads?
If I could get me another set of ear-zonks I wouldn't mind trying it actually :)

 

The velour that I have doesn't stretch as much as the cheaper velour that is sold in standard fabric shops. That version of velour is designed more for clothing and requires a lighter weight an more flexibilty.  However, that variation is made from a knit fabric.  When you cut out the pieces and attempt to sew them together, the knit backing tends to shred quite a bit of the strings that hold it all together.  This is why I chose to move towards the upholstery grade version.  It is denser, but doesn't shed nearly to the degree of the lighter weight material.

 

But, your thought is a great one.  Since the use of the spray adhesive would be used, then the lighter velour would have more flexibilty and since one would not be stitching it, then it would stay together relatively well.

 

I did get 4 pair of the Sennheiser 414 pads yesterday.  I'll get the reverse quarter mod performed and check into applying some of my velour to the pads in the next 3-4 days.  I have the L-Cush pads, but not any spares to sacrifice at this point.

post #3030 of 3316
Thread Starter 

I would not advise using leather earpads on their GradoMagnums. Your bass response will be all over the place. Sadly, (p)leather pads on GradoMagnums simply do not work.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum