Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado modders go Magnum - Page 184

post #2746 of 3221
Oh you buggers...the anticipation is killing me...and I saw that last prototype just sitting there on the FB page...has it gone to someone yet?
post #2747 of 3221

Not yet, but we made huge strides with revision 5 last night so it would be pointless to send it to anyone.

post #2748 of 3221

Where can I get aluminum housing for my Magnums, I have wood ones but I'm curious about the differences in sound between the two matters.

(Grado cups layout for CNC would be good as well).

 

Thanks


Edited by eyalcat - 7/14/13 at 12:50am
post #2749 of 3221

The cups I have gotten from Vibro Labs, can they have a lacher applied to them without messing out the sound?

post #2750 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

The cups I have gotten from Vibro Labs, can they have a lacher applied to them without messing out the sound?
Well, it's hard to say how much the lacquer affects the sound if at all unless you do a side by side comparison. However, I imagine that the fellows at Turbulent/Vibro have done extensive testing and would have not used lacquer if it turned out to be detrimental to the sound.
post #2751 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq70 View Post

Well, it's hard to say how much the lacquer affects the sound if at all unless you do a side by side comparison. However, I imagine that the fellows at Turbulent/Vibro have done extensive testing and would have not used lacquer if it turned out to be detrimental to the sound.

Edit: i just realized that you are asking if its ok to lacquer them because they dont come with any applied. I would contact turbulent and ask. In my opinion lacquer applied to the outside of the cups only should have no affect on the sound whatsoever but applied to the inside I dont know.
post #2752 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq70 View Post

Edit: i just realized that you are asking if its ok to lacquer them because they dont come with any applied. I would contact turbulent and ask. In my opinion lacquer applied to the outside of the cups only should have no affect on the sound whatsoever but applied to the inside I dont know.

thanks I appreciate the input and I can't imagine it would have much affect but its always good to ask. I'll email Luke
post #2753 of 3221
From what I recall they treat the outsides of their cups, but not the insides.

Interestingly enough, when I got some cups from Cabillas he advised I paint the insides black...couldn't bring myself to do it...
post #2754 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

The cups I have gotten from Vibro Labs, can they have a lacher applied to them without messing out the sound?

I honestly wouldn't advise it. At least, not a hard shiny finish and definitely not inside the. Maybe an oil would be less worrisome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post

From what I recall they treat the outsides of their cups, but not the insides.

Interestingly enough, when I got some cups from Cabillas he advised I paint the insides black...couldn't bring myself to do it...

That is interesting..

post #2755 of 3221
I got this email from Luke

"You can apply lacquer to the exterior of the cups. Nitrocellulose
lacquer is a preferred finish for instruments.

Keep the insides bare mahogany.

If you want, you can sand up the interior to a fine grit like 600 if
you want to "tighten up" everything.

I leave the insides freshly cut because I find its easier for
customers to sand the interior to their liking instead of rough it up
to their liking."
post #2756 of 3221
Just wanted to add that the freshly cut interior is nice because the open pours of mahogany get packed well with sawdust when sanding, it's tough to reverse this process without cutting it again. Turned or drilled surfaces are not nearly as smooth and uniform as routed surfaces. Turned and especially forstner bit drilled bores have a lot of tearing on the surface that is non-existent with a good router bit and proper toolpath. Forget spade bit drilled bores, you might as well have just used cardboard for your cups. Yes, the path the tool takes makes a difference. I've spent hours investigating this... so my customers don't have to. (I'd like that week of my life back, please. Please?)
post #2757 of 3221

Quick question for anyone with V5 drivers, I've never used these until yesterday. Do they benefit from a certain amount of burn in with say pink noise?

 

 

I also had some G cush pads sitting around and besides the ear piercing highs they created they were pretty good but for now I'm using the stock pads that came with the 80i's. What's the general opinion on the best pads to use?

 

What kind of amps are you guy using? Currently I only have the O2


Edited by kskwerl - 7/24/13 at 8:24pm
post #2758 of 3221

Not one pair of custom Magnums being sold or posted in pictures have failed to disappointment in the looks department.

post #2759 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Not one pair of custom Magnums being sold or posted in pictures have failed to disappointment in the looks department.

 

I don't know...I have seen a few nice builds...I personally thought mine were sex-a-ma-licious, but there's no accounting for taste sometimes :D

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660712/old-magnum-x-build-in-cabillas-cups-w-headphone-lounge-cable

 

Still kind of regret selling them.

post #2760 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post

 

I don't know...I have seen a few nice builds...I personally thought mine were sex-a-ma-licious, but there's no accounting for taste sometimes :D

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660712/old-magnum-x-build-in-cabillas-cups-w-headphone-lounge-cable

 

Still kind of regret selling them.

Well that's the thing and what I said, no Magnum custom modded with wooden or aluminium cups have failed to disappoint me with the looks, I really dig the stuff the Martin's Custom Audio has for a long time since v2 Magnum's. But what is Magnum's? Different drivers?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum