How could I do it based on the sr60's?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS-1tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS1000tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS2itagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/11
- productSymphones Magnumstagged by System, 1/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- I Really Need Some Help On A Suggestion Last post on 4/15/13 at 11:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Anyone else have Grados that have problems with the earcups falling off?? Last post on 9/24/15 at 7:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325is w/ flats vs. Rs1i Last post on 7/12/11 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Worth tracking down Alessandro MS2i? Last post on 6/16/11 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Just Ordered Grado SR325i Last post on 4/14/11 at 6:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
SPECS: Driver Type 8mm Dynamic Plug Type 3.5mm Gold-plated Cord Length 1.3m Y Frequency Response 12 Hz – 22...
1MORE Capsule Dual-Driver In-Ear Headphones Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to 1MORE UK for the review sample. Full review...
Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review...
I was an early adopter of the original hifiman he-1000 (part of the original beta group). At the end of the beta period I elected to keep the product and it was replaced with the newest and latest...
Bluedio Victory Bluetooth and Optical Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Bluedio for the sample. Full review...
Grado modders go Magnum - Page 173post #2581 of 42935/12/13 at 11:04am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2582 of 42935/12/13 at 12:20pm
open up the cups using whatever method you like. Using a side cutter trim back the hot glue and plastic tabs that are holding the driver in place. then using a clamp and 2 chunks of wood press out the existing driver gently... You should now have the stock driver liberated. You now can replace it with the magnum... Use hot glue to hold the driver in the ring if needed, reassemble...post #2583 of 42935/12/13 at 12:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by kvtaco17
open up the cups using whatever method you like. Using a side cutter trim back the hot glue and plastic tabs that are holding the driver in place. then using a clamp and 2 chunks of wood press out the existing driver gently... You should now have the stock driver liberated. You now can replace it with the magnum... Use hot glue to hold the driver in the ring if needed, reassemble...
post 1177post #2584 of 42935/12/13 at 12:50pmpost #2585 of 42935/12/13 at 12:53pmpost #2586 of 42935/12/13 at 1:12pmQuote:Quote:
I agree, but if you're on a budget this allows you to do it in stepspost #2587 of 42935/12/13 at 1:23pmpost #2588 of 42935/12/13 at 1:40pmQuote:
and a headband too! (lots of stuff fits if you want something a bit different)
I'd make my own cables... its easy enough and won't cost a ton... (grab some 24/26 awg 2 pair, a plug from amazon/radioshack/ebay and anything else if you want to dress up your creation)post #2589 of 42935/12/13 at 5:25pmQuote:
I don't remember if you had an O2, but the Magnums are a good match with amps like that and benefit from the low noise floor.
I actually think the stock Grado wire is ok. If you want to go the pretty cable route, last I looked (which was quite a while ago) Double Helix Cables sells his stock wire for $2/ft. Braiding takes a couple of tries to get the hang of. Getting a few lengths of different size heat-shrink helps as you can use bits as a kind of "rubber band" to hold the braided (or twisted) ends together while you strip and solder the ends. It's quite rewarding once you get the hang of it.
Also, occasionally Magnum builds come up in the classifieds for very reasonable prices.post #2590 of 42935/12/13 at 5:32pmQuote:
Yeah a guy just contacted me giving me first dibs on some V5's so that is pretty much what is going to happen. What do you think about aftermarket cables? Is there any audible difference or is it just marketing? It has to do with magnums so it isn't off-topic.
Oh and yesterday I learned the Magni and O2 are pretty much identical (and Magnum V4's sound quite well on them indeed)post #2591 of 42935/20/13 at 2:01pm
Finished my Magnum v5 build from my old SR80 chassis with Martin's mahogany cups. All I can say is wow. I've had a chance to compare them side-by-side with my SR325is today. I didn't think I could get better clarity and detail over my 325is. Not only more detail in the highs and mids, but deeper, tighter bass too. All the things I liked in the SR325is over the 80s, but even more of it.
Edited by pallentx - 5/20/13 at 2:03pmpost #2592 of 42935/20/13 at 3:11pm
Yup, the Magnums are really something else. I find them a bit tougher to drive to the max when comparing to regular Grado drivers. More voltage to them Magnums and the scaling get's really high up therepost #2593 of 42935/20/13 at 7:42pm
Well, after a couple of months, I am finally done building (assembling) my Magnums V5.
I have to say that the whole process is a very rewarding experience. Everybody at Turbulent are great in customer service, and the people here in the forum are very helpful and friendly.
The sound quality is very good right out of the box. I feel much better detail and better bass response than the SR80i and the SR225i. They still retain much of the Grado sound signature IMO. I wish my English and my experience was good enough to make a full review, but all I can say for now is really like these headphones, and I think I am going to keep these for a while.
(forgive the lighting)
My build consisted in:
- Symphones X Drivers
- Vibro Vintage Cups (Beautiful work)
- 6+ feet Canare L-4E6S, with 1/4 Neutric plug, and, naked form the Y connect to the drivers.
- Stock SR80i headband and gimbals (manta headband on its way (couldn't resist, sorry wallet))
- Old Grado L-cush from my SR80is
In the future I would like to put a nice cable, or at least change the sleeve of the current for the sake of the look.
Anyway, thank you Head-Fiers and Turbulent for helping me put together this little project.
Edited by orangecr - 5/20/13 at 7:47pmpost #2594 of 42935/20/13 at 8:22pm
- Grado modders go Magnum
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 9 seconds ago
- › Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD (2 +1 Hybrid) 1 minute ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 2 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 3 minutes ago
- › Prog rock 4 minutes ago
- › Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3 4 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable 6 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 8 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by NA Blur
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by mark2410
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphone by MattTCG
- › Bluedio V (Victory) Pro Patented PPS12 Drivers Wireless Bluetooth... by mark2410
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by Falconlistener
- › Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field... by ryanjsoo
- › Yamaha MusicCast WX-010 Wireless Speaker (White) by mark2410
- › Questyle Q192 DAC with Headphone Amplifier silver by noobandroid
- › Meze 11 Neo by B9Scrambler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear