How could I do it based on the sr60's?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS-1tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS1000tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS2itagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/11
- productSymphones Magnumstagged by System, 1/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- I Really Need Some Help On A Suggestion Last post on 4/15/13 at 11:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Anyone else have Grados that have problems with the earcups falling off?? Last post on 5/23/14 at 9:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325is w/ flats vs. Rs1i Last post on 7/12/11 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Worth tracking down Alessandro MS2i? Last post on 6/16/11 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Just Ordered Grado SR325i Last post on 4/14/11 at 6:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Grado modders go Magnum - Page 173post #2581 of 33565/12/13 at 11:04am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2582 of 33565/12/13 at 12:20pm
open up the cups using whatever method you like. Using a side cutter trim back the hot glue and plastic tabs that are holding the driver in place. then using a clamp and 2 chunks of wood press out the existing driver gently... You should now have the stock driver liberated. You now can replace it with the magnum... Use hot glue to hold the driver in the ring if needed, reassemble...post #2583 of 33565/12/13 at 12:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by kvtaco17
open up the cups using whatever method you like. Using a side cutter trim back the hot glue and plastic tabs that are holding the driver in place. then using a clamp and 2 chunks of wood press out the existing driver gently... You should now have the stock driver liberated. You now can replace it with the magnum... Use hot glue to hold the driver in the ring if needed, reassemble...
post 1177post #2584 of 33565/12/13 at 12:50pmpost #2585 of 33565/12/13 at 12:53pmpost #2586 of 33565/12/13 at 1:12pmQuote:Quote:
I agree, but if you're on a budget this allows you to do it in stepspost #2587 of 33565/12/13 at 1:23pmpost #2588 of 33565/12/13 at 1:40pmQuote:
and a headband too! (lots of stuff fits if you want something a bit different)
I'd make my own cables... its easy enough and won't cost a ton... (grab some 24/26 awg 2 pair, a plug from amazon/radioshack/ebay and anything else if you want to dress up your creation)post #2589 of 33565/12/13 at 5:25pmQuote:
I don't remember if you had an O2, but the Magnums are a good match with amps like that and benefit from the low noise floor.
I actually think the stock Grado wire is ok. If you want to go the pretty cable route, last I looked (which was quite a while ago) Double Helix Cables sells his stock wire for $2/ft. Braiding takes a couple of tries to get the hang of. Getting a few lengths of different size heat-shrink helps as you can use bits as a kind of "rubber band" to hold the braided (or twisted) ends together while you strip and solder the ends. It's quite rewarding once you get the hang of it.
Also, occasionally Magnum builds come up in the classifieds for very reasonable prices.post #2590 of 33565/12/13 at 5:32pmQuote:
Yeah a guy just contacted me giving me first dibs on some V5's so that is pretty much what is going to happen. What do you think about aftermarket cables? Is there any audible difference or is it just marketing? It has to do with magnums so it isn't off-topic.
Oh and yesterday I learned the Magni and O2 are pretty much identical (and Magnum V4's sound quite well on them indeed)post #2591 of 33565/20/13 at 2:01pm
Finished my Magnum v5 build from my old SR80 chassis with Martin's mahogany cups. All I can say is wow. I've had a chance to compare them side-by-side with my SR325is today. I didn't think I could get better clarity and detail over my 325is. Not only more detail in the highs and mids, but deeper, tighter bass too. All the things I liked in the SR325is over the 80s, but even more of it.
Edited by pallentx - 5/20/13 at 2:03pmpost #2592 of 33565/20/13 at 3:11pm
Yup, the Magnums are really something else. I find them a bit tougher to drive to the max when comparing to regular Grado drivers. More voltage to them Magnums and the scaling get's really high up therepost #2593 of 33565/20/13 at 7:42pm
Well, after a couple of months, I am finally done building (assembling) my Magnums V5.
I have to say that the whole process is a very rewarding experience. Everybody at Turbulent are great in customer service, and the people here in the forum are very helpful and friendly.
The sound quality is very good right out of the box. I feel much better detail and better bass response than the SR80i and the SR225i. They still retain much of the Grado sound signature IMO. I wish my English and my experience was good enough to make a full review, but all I can say for now is really like these headphones, and I think I am going to keep these for a while.
(forgive the lighting)
My build consisted in:
- Symphones X Drivers
- Vibro Vintage Cups (Beautiful work)
- 6+ feet Canare L-4E6S, with 1/4 Neutric plug, and, naked form the Y connect to the drivers.
- Stock SR80i headband and gimbals (manta headband on its way (couldn't resist, sorry wallet))
- Old Grado L-cush from my SR80is
In the future I would like to put a nice cable, or at least change the sleeve of the current for the sake of the look.
Anyway, thank you Head-Fiers and Turbulent for helping me put together this little project.
Edited by orangecr - 5/20/13 at 7:47pmpost #2594 of 33565/20/13 at 8:22pm
- Grado modders go Magnum
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 1 second ago
- › ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread. 3 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 24 seconds ago
- › Having trouble choosing between a few different close-back phones... 49 seconds ago
- › Some People Remember How Equipment Sounds! 1 minute ago
- › Comparisons: 25 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.3 - July 2, 2015 5 minutes ago
- › Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE 5 minutes ago
- › Need help picking a pair of headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › Bette 10MM 1+1 Hybrid Wood Black by BloodyPenguin
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by sk2290
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3