Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado modders go Magnum - Page 161

post #2401 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin musicman View Post

Hi   Got a dilemma...... Do i Buys some Ps500 and get them modded up ... or do i have some built from scratch with V5 drivers in some nice burmese rosewood...upgraded headband etc................................. also what portable amp/dac .... Cmoy .... Matrix mini or  ?????? 

 
What do you mean by modded up ps500?
post #2402 of 3215

personally, I wouldn't mod any Grados above the "prestige series" Grados. 

post #2403 of 3215

I need some help, modders.

How would I go about replacing my Grado SR60i drivers with my Magnum V5 drivers? That is, how do I use my V5's in the original Grado SR60i plastic earcups / housing?

 

I'm still new to modding, and I don't know how to safely separate the SR60i drivers from the plastic "ring" they're secured in. I've already used the hairdryer trick to open the cups up, but there's the issue of that plastic ring that the drivers itself is still in.

 

Can someone direct me to a thread detailing the process? I searched, but I'm having trouble finding such a thread.

 

Thanks!

post #2404 of 3215
There's a way to so this using a small block of wood and a woodworking clamp. You use a craft knife/sharp blade the cut out the plastic bumps behind the driver that hold it in place. You then place the wood over the white cheesecloth over the side of the driver that usually faces your ear, and then use the clamp to gradually press the driver through the sleeve, out of its rear hole (sounds great doesn't it?).

Never done this myself, but saw it in another thread (after I had mutilated and cut the driver sleeves from 225i).
post #2405 of 3215

^^I think I saw this on the sr60 mod thread.

I recently liberated my sr125 drivers by wedging a solid knife(pairing knife I believe it was) between the driver and the plastic sleeve, then I gradually went all around. I don't know how good it would work on a newer "i" model. my sr125 look pretty old and the glue was old dried up glue which made it much easier to work with.

 

post #2406 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin musicman View Post

Hi   Got a dilemma...... Do i Buys some Ps500 and get them modded up ... or do i have some built from scratch with V5 drivers in some nice burmese rosewood...upgraded headband etc................................. also what portable amp/dac .... Cmoy .... Matrix mini or  ?????? 

 

I wouldn't violate the warranty on a $500 can. The PS500 is surprisingly good without any modifications if you just want to rock n roll out of the box. I would do a bespoke Magnum build from the ground up if you really are set on getting your hands dirty though. I'm going to be a lot more active on head-fi from now on since I have more time since I graduated. I'll be around if you have any questions smily_headphones1.gif

I must have done the Grado modding thing with 5 different cans now..
post #2407 of 3215

Ok ... thanks for the advice ...  still confused.com ...  what is the difference re.. Audio quality when comparing Ps500 and mag V5 (built from scratch) in wood....????        What about AMP/DAC re portable type please.....  ?????
 

post #2408 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post


I wouldn't violate the warranty on a $500 can. The PS500 is surprisingly good without any modifications if you just want to rock n roll out of the box. I would do a bespoke Magnum build from the ground up if you really are set on getting your hands dirty though. I'm going to be a lot more active on head-fi from now on since I have more time since I graduated. I'll be around if you have any questions smily_headphones1.gif

I must have done the Grado modding thing with 5 different cans now..

Ok ... thanks for the advice ...  still confused.com ...  what is the difference re.. Audio quality when comparing Ps500 and mag V5 (built from scratch) in wood....????  I was going to ask Martin from MCA to build from scratch or at least get new  nickle plated  Gimbals and Rodblocks if i just bought stock 500's.However  i would really like to hear the stock Ps500's 1st.      What about AMP/DAC re portable type please.....  ????? Thanks i really value your advice ..  :-)

post #2409 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin musicman View Post

Ok ... thanks for the advice ...  still confused.com ...  what is the difference re.. Audio quality when comparing Ps500 and mag V5 (built from scratch) in wood....????  I was going to ask Martin from MCA to build from scratch or at least get new  nickle plated  Gimbals and Rodblocks if i just bought stock 500's.However  i would really like to hear the stock Ps500's 1st.      What about AMP/DAC re portable type please.....  ????? Thanks i really value your advice ..  :-)

This reminds me I have to get some of those gimbals from him

post #2410 of 3215

Can anyone please give me the advice that i need in full please ??????...  what is the difference re.. Audio quality when comparing Ps500 and mag V5 (built from scratch) in wood....????  I was going to ask Martin from MCA to build from scratch or at least get new  nickle plated  Gimbals and Rodblocks if i just bought stock 500's.However  i would really like to hear the stock Ps500's 1st.      What about AMP/DAC re portable type please.....  ????? ANYONE  :-)
 

post #2411 of 3215

Stock PS500 and PS500 with MartinCustomAudio's metal gimbals will sound the same. I think you can install the metal gimbals yourself easily without tools.

 

I also strongly suggest you listen to the PS500 before putting Magnum V5 in it.

 

It's true that modding the Grado models above the Prestige range is daring, because these cost quite a lot from the start, and are already pretty good on their own. They offer a performance that is comparable to the Magnums yes, but still a very different sound signature. It all depends on which school you take to part in, Grado, or Magnum... or both! :D

 

Actually the PS-500 is not a great representative of the traditional Grado sound, it has more bass than highs, quite unusual for a Grado.

 

Some Head-Fiers did Magnum (the verb, 'to Magnum') high-end Grados though; like Chris Himself he Magnumed a RS-2 and Pcf a RS-1; and I think both liked the end result (Pcf plain prefers the sound of the Magnums over that of the RS-1i).

 

I haven't listened to any of the two headphones you're asking about but personally I would leave the PS-500 entire and build a Magnum V5 from scratch. It will take more resources but you'll have two full headphones. If you only want a "One" headphone, go ahead ;), it'll be a great PS500-V5 headphone; Modders already know how to extract the Grado drivers from wood and your PS500 drivers will sell well on here.

 

 

In portable mode I don't use any external DAC or amp... just the MP3 player. Choosing to own Grados also mean that you are allowed to do just that and have great, loud sound.

 

So yeah I can't say more to help you.

post #2412 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

Stock PS500 and PS500 with MartinCustomAudio's metal gimbals will sound the same. I think you can install the metal gimbals yourself easily without tools.

 

I also strongly suggest you listen to the PS500 before putting Magnum V5 in it.

 

It's true that modding the Grado models above the Prestige range is daring, because these cost quite a lot from the start, and are already pretty good on their own. They offer a performance that is comparable to the Magnums yes, but still a very different sound signature. It all depends on which school you take to part in, Grado, or Magnum... or both! :D

 

Actually the PS-500 is not a great representative of the traditional Grado sound, it has more bass than highs, quite unusual for a Grado.

 

Some Head-Fiers did Magnum (the verb, 'to Magnum') high-end Grados though; like Chris Himself he Magnumed a RS-2 and Pcf a RS-1; and I think both liked the end result (Pcf plain prefers the sound of the Magnums over that of the RS-1i).

 

I haven't listened to any of the two headphones you're asking about but personally I would leave the PS-500 entire and build a Magnum V5 from scratch. It will take more resources but you'll have two full headphones. If you only want a "One" headphone, go ahead ;), it'll be a great PS500-V5 headphone; Modders already know how to extract the Grado drivers from wood and your PS500 drivers will sell well on here.

 

 

In portable mode I don't use any external DAC or amp... just the MP3 player. Choosing to own Grados also mean that you are allowed to do just that and have great, loud sound.

 

So yeah I can't say more to help you.


THank you so much ... nice to speak to you .... I like both . But i think that you are right with not modding the stock Ps500.. If i go down the modding road i will either ask Martin at MCA to build from scratch with V5's or as above just get gimbals and rodblocks sent to me....  I like lots of different music, but not much classical.  I also intend to get some Denon AHD7000 or D5000... just lovin this headphone stuff... Thanks for Helping me :-)))))))

post #2413 of 3215

I use a jewelers screwdriver and a hammer and the concrete floor to get my drivers out. If you bust the inner sleeve, it's not really that big of a deal. It takes quite a bit of force, but it's safe.

post #2414 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

I use a jewelers screwdriver and a hammer and the concrete floor to get my drivers out. If you bust the inner sleeve, it's not really that big of a deal. It takes quite a bit of force, but it's safe.


OMG  ....  I not intend doin that dude ...lol   But thanks for the tip Lar :-))

post #2415 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin musicman View Post


THank you so much ... nice to speak to you .... I like both . But i think that you are right with not modding the stock Ps500.. If i go down the modding road i will either ask Martin at MCA to build from scratch with V5's or as above just get gimbals and rodblocks sent to me....  I like lots of different music, but not much classical.  I also intend to get some Denon AHD7000 or D5000... just lovin this headphone stuff... Thanks for Helping me :-)))))))

 

My pleasure! The PS500 looks great to own, I wish it was there when I bought my first Grado (a RS-1).

 

Denon AH-D5000 and -D7000 are a thing of the past, the company now sells AH-D600s and AH-D7100s instead.

 

But Fostex, which's mother company (Foster) has designed and been producing those headphones for Denon since the beginning, have released worthy successors of the D5000 and 7000. Check them out, they're called: TH600 (released in Japan the 25th of this month, 800-900 dollars) and the almighty closed-back flagship TH900 (1800-2000$, competing with the LCD-3 and winning in some  cases).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum