Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado modders go Magnum - Page 159

post #2371 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

I know cold joints don't "just happen".. but, sometimes other things happen to cause you to be distracted enough to make and overlook a cold joint.. if that makes sense smily_headphones1.gif I use the same cable tie method.

As do the gents at Headphone Lounge. I would like to reiterate, this was my idiocy, and mine alone smily_headphones1.gif
post #2372 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post



As do the gents at Headphone Lounge. I would like to reiterate, this was my idiocy, and mine alone smily_headphones1.gif

Dude, I've effed up the first Magnum build I ever did as well.. this was pre-HPL. I was in the original SR-60 modding thread with Bilavideo when they first came out biggrin.gif

Soldering ain't hard I would have been glad to walk you over it through skype or the phone, but then again Ted was more than happy to take them back I assume.

Whats all this about V5's I had no idea there was a new one, is it worth upgrading from V4's if you got 'em? I haven't been posting as much as I should since I'm still a Gradophile at heart.
post #2373 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

Dude, I've effed up the first Magnum build I ever did as well.. this was pre-HPL. I was in the original SR-60 modding thread with Bilavideo when they first came out biggrin.gif

Soldering ain't hard I would have been glad to walk you over it through skype or the phone, but then again Ted was more than happy to take them back I assume.

Whats all this about V5's I had no idea there was a new one, is it worth upgrading from V4's if you got 'em? I haven't been posting as much as I should since I'm still a Gradophile at heart.

Ted and you rock my world Chris...you both have a special place in my strange little heart because of how you've helped me with this build...

Turbulent Labs is selling the Magnum X or V5 now...I asked Rhydon if he had anything he was selling while Turbulent was out of stock a little while back and he referred me back to them saying they were now the official distributors of Symphones drivers...reviews are positive for the most part.
post #2374 of 3219

hey fleasbaby, are you mounting them on Cabillas' cups, or Vibro cups? I had both cups, but in the end I like the Grado Rs style cups much more than the Grado Gs style. The only thing that bugs me is the opening is too big for the drivers(yes, I know is intended to be used with the foam tape) and also would prefer not to have the big opening for the cable. Other than that, I really love these cups.wink_face.gif


Edited by wormsdriver - 2/6/13 at 9:41pm
post #2375 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

Whats all this about V5's I had no idea there was a new one, is it worth upgrading from V4's if you got 'em? I haven't been posting as much as I should since I'm still a Gradophile at heart.

 

Hey Chris,

 

I would say yes. They sound slightly more V-shaped than the V4's, but they do seem to have greater overall clarity, detail, and instrument separation over the V4's, at least from my experience. I really am happy with the V5's.

post #2376 of 3219

thelostMIDrange really praised the monoprice 8020.  Don't know if he still likes them but I know he really liked how they presented the music. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

 

I was talking to thelostMIDrange via PM about his ideal headphones and that ideal is very specific and involves instruments sounding real. It would be interesting to try a pair of headphones that he thinks is perfect (for him anyway).

 

post #2377 of 3219

I think the cable on my Magnums might have become detached but can't tell for sure. There's no sound on one side. I also wouldn't mind switching from silver to copper wire. Where should I send for repairs?


Edited by Architeuthis - 2/6/13 at 11:34pm
post #2378 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling5s View Post

thelostMIDrange really praised the monoprice 8020.  Don't know if he still likes them but I know he really liked how they presented the music. 

 

 Monoprice 8320*, and John Grado vintage/pink transitioning drivers in thin walls, short length, curved profile do-it-yourself limba wood cups


Edited by devouringone3 - 2/8/13 at 12:10am
post #2379 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormsdriver View Post

hey fleasbaby, are you mounting them on Cabillas' cups, or Vibro cups? I had both cups, but in the end I like the Grado Rs style cups much more than the Grado Gs style. The only thing that bugs me is the opening is too big for the drivers(yes, I know is intended to be used with the foam tape) and also would prefer not to have the big opening for the cable. Other than that, I really love these cups.wink_face.gif

They will be in a pair of Cabillas cups when I get them...I have a pair of the Vintage Vibros with a pair of 225i drivers in them as well. Once I have the Magnums I will compare the two and sell off the ones I like less I think.
post #2380 of 3219

i've already laid out my ideal sound. grado rs sans bass hump and uneccesary amount of presence. i.e. better balance of presence/resolution much like the magnum, and where instruments sound real or at least do not sound 'odd'...So i ask y'all. what is yours and where is your reference coming from? If you're young, you may not have one defined and that's reasonable. you like what you like and this compared to that. totally understandable. but let's assume most headfi'ers demand bass and details in substantial amounts, or at least a bit more than historically desired as recent as 20 years ago. no biggie but at least it should be stated explicit i say and again if you're young, you may not know this level of bass or details has not always been desired. again no biggie, but should not history be learned and transmitted accurately by each generation/i feel responsible for whatever reason..... enough time passes and falsity slithers it's way into the history books. sound and headphones is just one example of many........ but I'm more interested in knowing where your references come from or if you've given it any thought, currong or others 'of influence' in particular. measurements?, personal tastes? digitally sampled based music? If rhydon could join in we'd have a fun time but people who like magnums can at least post............my reference is sound made by 20th century instruments in human made rooms with some wood somewhere in 'em, and played by humans in realtime. I could go into detail but that's the nuts and bolts of it. It's a realworld solid reference that can be 'checked' or referred back to, hence the term reference. this is how I define an accurate headphone, and it's 30 years of hardcore indepth study of the referred variables that are my credentials. Magnums and grados get alot of it right imo/to each his own/ymmv, etc etc, but if few enough people care, here's one possible nightmarish future

 


Edited by thelostMIDrange - 2/7/13 at 9:28pm
post #2381 of 3219
My personal tastes are informed by analog recordings done mainly in the seventies. My original music tastes leaned more toward rock, but have since branched out into jazz (particularly that sweet spot that occurred between the end of traditional variations on the style and the full onslaught of free jazz), dub albums from the seventies and eighties (particularly by Scientist and Lee Perry) and a smattering of electronic and hip hop. I am not particularly old, but lets just say my twenties are now a recent memory.
post #2382 of 3219

and that is why you sir are a reasonable man and your posts reflect this fact. glad to know you. now if you were also a nut in studying those sounds as the musicians play and hear them in clubs and studios, your reference would take on new vitality and relevance, but in a way it's a good thing we are not all aware, or you'd get as many headaches as I do listening to alot of these headphones. they're way off and the box comes with no warning labels to that affect. I just ask for truth in advertising. where's the fcc/dea/fda when you need them....I mean if one likes digital music, or extra bass, or supernatural sounds, have at it, but when sennheiser or some other maker doesn't put a sticker on the box to the effect, this headphone was tuned to these standards/assumptions/references etc, it really makes for a mess of an industry and the evidence will be piling up in our local landfills. if aliens dropped down tomorrow they might think the purpose of the human race was to fabricate as many possible ****ty headphones as they could before totally ruining the biosphere.

 

now i hear people saying, who are you to say a violin or a saxophone played spontaneously in a live room should be 'the reference'. What's wrong with using measurements alone, or sampled computer generated sound. and to that I say.. you're right, I see your point, pure subjectivity is a valid way to live (everyone has his/her own viewpoint-reality), as is pure objectivity (measurements are the only reality). i'm in the middle of those two extremes and like joe/john grado, use instruments as the final arbiter because they exist in reality, not in virtual reality. Whether people of the future value an analog reality or choose rather to live in a brave new world dystopia is becoming clear, I just want one headphone choice left for us savages out on the reservation to enjoy. (reference to aldous' prophetic book fyi)


Edited by thelostMIDrange - 2/7/13 at 11:00pm
post #2383 of 3219

My reference

 

*I was going to put Burning Down The House by Talking Heads here... But, I couldn't find a high quality copy. Just play your own. Wait, you do own a copy. Don't you?*

post #2384 of 3219

.. ahh, professor byrne. I think his genius comes through even on youtube....... anyone who can use his message to tie a thread back to the topic of magnum modding, receives 5 gold headfi stars redeemable in the virtual reality of your choosing.......


Edited by thelostMIDrange - 2/7/13 at 10:48pm
post #2385 of 3219

I don't consider myself an audiophile at all. With that said I've enjoyed music quite a bit since I first heard The Beatles back in the mid eighties(so I must've been around 8-9 years old). The only reason I brought up The Beatles, is because that's the first time I remember being moved in such a way by music. Anyhow, I've been on Head-fi for like a year and a half, and all this time I've been buying many different headphones/iems, and while I've liked most of them very much, I really haven't been moved much by them. About two or three months ago I came across a used pair of Grado Rs2 here on the forum. The price was right so I pulled the trigger. At first I wasn't impressed by these cans so I was ready to move on to next. When I'm selling off gear, I always give the gear one last audition, or one last farewell before somebody buys it and I ship it away to the next owner. So after posting the Rs2 for sale, I gave them a listen... I wasn't doing any "critical listening"(I never doevil_smiley.gif) I was just listening to music, while doing god knows what? Anyhow, I was listening to The Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar SexMagik, an album which I bought in High School, and which I really despised throughout the 90's and had pretty much forgotten about. I've listen to this record a few times in the last few months, and I've liked it more and more. ANYWAYS, I started listening. not paying too much attention to the music, but by like the second song in I found myself putting everything down because I was so drawn into the music, when you're not much of a dancer or whatever, and all of a sudden your moving in ways you never did, you know this is something very special. I really can't explain why I like these so much, but I guess one good reason would be that most instruments sound like actual instruments to me.

After writing all of this, I just realized that I probably miss understood or I really haven't answered your question. I don't have any specific tracks to measure anything, I put whatever music I want to hear at that time and jam out, if something just clicks and slaps me in the face, then it's hard not to take notice.smile.gif The thing that did this for me is basically the guitar, bass and drums sounding like real instruments on my Rs2's.


Edited by wormsdriver - 2/8/13 at 5:00am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum