Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado modders go Magnum - Page 157

post #2341 of 3316

I've had Grados for a while now, and I love them. I've also read a lot about magnums and they look very interesting. I couldn't resist and sold my SR225i (surprisingly easy and at a good price in Costa Rica) to order all the components to build a set of magnums.

 

I am going to use Symphones X drivers, Vibro Classic Cups, and stock headband and cable from Alessandro MS1 for now.

 

I am not sure they count as magnums, and certainly is not modification either, but hopefully they are going to be the last headphones I buy in a long... Who am I kidding? frown.gif Maybe I am wrong, and the placebo effect will affect me, but I have high expectations for this headphones.

 

I am starting to understand the "sorry for your wallet" thing now.

 

Hope my English makes sense. 

post #2342 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecr View Post

I've had Grados for a while now, and I love them. I've also read a lot about magnums and they look very interesting. I couldn't resist and sold my SR225i (surprisingly easy and at a good price in Costa Rica) to order all the components to build a set of magnums.

 

I am going to use Symphones X drivers, Vibro Classic Cups, and stock headband and cable from Alessandro MS1 for now.

 

I am not sure they count as magnums, and certainly is not modification either, but hopefully they are going to be the last headphones I buy in a long... Who am I kidding? frown.gif Maybe I am wrong, and the placebo effect will affect me, but I have high expectations for this headphones.

 

I am starting to understand the "sorry for your wallet" thing now.

 

Hope my English makes sense. 

Hello! You make perfect sense. Sounds like you will have built a very legitimate set of Magnums. Let me tell you...the difference between the Magnum V5 and SR225 is vast. Please report back with your impressions when you have everything put together!

post #2343 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq70 View Post

Hello! You make perfect sense. Sounds like you will have built a very legitimate set of Magnums. Let me tell you...the difference between the Magnum V5 and SR225 is vast. Please report back with your impressions when you have everything put together!

How big is the difference from 325 to V5? I ordered the drivers cups and headband but its taking forever to get the actual drivers
post #2344 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post


How big is the difference from 325 to V5? I ordered the drivers cups and headband but its taking forever to get the actual drivers

should be very substantial.

post #2345 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

should be very substantial.

Thanks Chris, that's a bold statement and gets me excited because I already think my 325s sound superb
post #2346 of 3316

99 % of the people here prefer the sound of the Magnum to that of the SR325(i[s]).

 

I am only aware of one (*or two, actually) person on this forum who prefers the sound of the SR325is.


Edited by devouringone3 - 2/13/13 at 5:31pm
post #2347 of 3316
*sigh* still waiting on my build. Rather than go through the fiasco I did last time, I am waiting for Headphone Lounge to put it all together for me.

Going from 225i to Magnums myself. Can't wait to see how I feel about the difference.
Edited by fleasbaby - 2/5/13 at 5:46am
post #2348 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post

*sigh* still waiting on my build. Rather than go through the fiasco I did last time, I am waiting for Headphone Lounge to put it all together for me.

Going from 225i to Magnums myself. Can't wait to see how I feel about the difference.

What kind of fiasco, I'm curious cause this will be my first time building magnums

post #2349 of 3316

GF picked up the packages for the VX today yay! Still need the cups though

post #2350 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post


How big is the difference from 325 to V5? I ordered the drivers cups and headband but its taking forever to get the actual drivers

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post

*sigh* still waiting on my build. Rather than go through the fiasco I did last time, I am waiting for Headphone Lounge to put it all together for me.

Going from 225i to Magnums myself. Can't wait to see how I feel about the difference.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecr View Post

I've had Grados for a while now, and I love them. I've also read a lot about magnums and they look very interesting. I couldn't resist and sold my SR225i (surprisingly easy and at a good price in Costa Rica) to order all the components to build a set of magnums.

 

I am going to use Symphones X drivers, Vibro Classic Cups, and stock headband and cable from Alessandro MS1 for now.

 

I am not sure they count as magnums, and certainly is not modification either, but hopefully they are going to be the last headphones I buy in a long... Who am I kidding? frown.gif Maybe I am wrong, and the placebo effect will affect me, but I have high expectations for this headphones.

 

I am starting to understand the "sorry for your wallet" thing now.

 

Hope my English makes sense. 

I'm excited for you guys awaiting your Magnum V5's! I will agree with what's been said: I think the V5's are a substantial improvement over the Grado SR series. They are head and shoulders above in regard to clarity, detail, and instrument separation - the result is addictive.

post #2351 of 3316
Quote:
I'm excited for you guys awaiting your Magnum V5's! I will agree with what's been said: I think the V5's are a substantial improvement over the Grado SR series. They are head and shoulders above in regard to clarity, detail, and instrument separation - the result is addictive.

I am counting on that! biggrin.gif I feel so much better now.

 

Hopefully my next investment will be a good headphone amp; I am going to have to settle with my E07k for the moment (which is not that bad IMO).


Edited by orangecr - 2/5/13 at 6:30pm
post #2352 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

99 % of the people here prefer the sound of the Magnum to that of the SR325(i[s]).

 

I am only aware of one (*or two, actually) person on this forum who prefer the sound of the SR325is.

 99%  blink.gif really ????  maybe people from this thread but I think this is a very bold estimate. I guest I'm one of them. Who's the other person?

post #2353 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecr View Post

I am counting on that! biggrin.gif I feel so much better now.

 

Hopefully my next investment will be a good headphone amp; I am going to have to settle with my E07k for the moment (which is not bad at all IMO).

you will likely not see any improvement from that amp.. Especially with magnums/grados.

post #2354 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

you will likely not see any improvement from that amp.. Especially with magnums/grados.

I now it will not improve my headphones performance, but there is a noticeable difference between my laptop's sound card and the Fiio. Unfortunately it is all I have for now, and can't afford anything else for the moment triportsad.gif. It will have to do the job until I save some extra money.

 

When the time comes, I will post back to ask for ideas.

post #2355 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

you will likely not see any improvement from that amp.. Especially with magnums/grados.

I now it will not improve my headphones performance, but there is a noticeable difference between my laptop's sound card and the Fiio. Unfortunately it is all I have for now, and can't afford anything else for the moment triportsad.gif. It will have to do the job until I save some extra money.

 

When the time comes, I will post back to ask for ideas.

I think you misunderstood Chris. I don't want to speak for him, but I am pretty sure I know what he means. The E07, despite it's fairly low cost and all that, is pretty damn awesome. You might get a touch more headroom elsewhere, a tiny bit more current, and maybe a better DAC, but you won't find THAT big of an improvement going to a better amp. Fiio makes pretty great stuff, especially for the cost. About the best you can do for Grados is a good DAC, a tiny bit of gain, and a unity-gain buffer. That's exactly what the E07 is. Could you find something warm and tubey, or with a bit more headroom, or with a bit more current? Probably. Will you notice any real difference? Probably not.

 

Chris swears by the O2, and nwavguy (the designer of the O2) has pretty much demonstrated that it's only marginally better than the E07.


Edited by scootsit - 2/5/13 at 7:16pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum