Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado modders go Magnum - Page 152

post #2266 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbandito View Post

yes sir it is tough, that's exactly why i humbly asks for as many opinions as you all can give evil_smiley.gif

it's like choosing between Belgian Chocolate, or Italian Chocolate. Both are chocolates, but offer different taste (pardon for my love of chocolates)

 

if i may ask, at what Grado/Alesandro levels are these Symphones X driver? are they on par with SR80i, MS1i, SR325i? *assuming same housing, cables, source, amps*

or it just didn't work that way in terms of assessing them?

 

They started as a MS2/325 upgrade, so if they were 'worse' than those you would feel a bit aggrieved. I've owned the MS Pro, RS1i, but I prefer the v4 to them.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq70 View Post


In my opinion yes definitely.
 
OK, cool. Ordered :)
 
 

Edited by marts30 - 1/17/13 at 5:10am
post #2267 of 3222
Would anyone mind sharing how long delivery took for theirs? Mine shipped out on the first of January, I live in Southern California, and they still aren't here...I know they are coming from Thailand, so I am not terribly worried, still...
post #2268 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by marts30 View Post

 

They started as a MS2/325 upgrade, so if they were 'worse' than those you would feel a bit aggrieved. I've owned the MS Pro, RS1i, but I prefer the v4 to them.

 

 


 

tempting......

anyone knows where i can get the headband? not just the leather, but the frame included....

if i can't find any, that means i have to start from SR80i

 

and please share your impression once yours arrived tongue_smile.gif

post #2269 of 3222

Hi guys, what is a price  for a gradon magum headphone mod with wood and removeable cable with leather pad & headband?

I quite like the Rs1 sound but I dont like the build quality of it.

post #2270 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by haquocdung View Post

Hi guys, what is a price  for a gradon magum headphone mod with wood and removeable cable with leather pad & headband?
I quite like the Rs1 sound but I dont like the build quality of it.

The drivers are $130 from Turbulent Labs, the rest depends on who does it and where you find the parts...a lot of the fun is sourcing those smily_headphones1.gif
post #2271 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbandito View Post

tempting......
anyone knows where i can get the headband? not just the leather, but the frame included....
if i can't find any, that means i have to start from SR80i

and please share your impression once yours arrived tongue_smile.gif
www.headphile.com

deal 9 on headphone deals page
post #2272 of 3222

I need reasonably priced wooden cups, I want to cry frown.gif

post #2273 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

I need reasonably priced wooden cups, I want to cry frown.gif

That is a tricky one...
post #2274 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq70 View Post


www.headphile.com

deal 9 on headphone deals page

for a $97 i think it'd be best for me to chose SR80i/MS1i redface.gif

 

does anyone why it's soooo confusing whether to choose SR80i or MS1i when you can't auditioned 'em?

Grado Magic...or Grado Curse

post #2275 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbandito View Post

for a $97 i think it'd be best for me to chose SR80i/MS1i redface.gif


does anyone why it's soooo confusing whether to choose SR80i or MS1i when you can't auditioned 'em?
Grado Magic...or Grado Curse
Looks like he raised the price $20 since the gold ones went out of stock. Still, The reason why its not a bad deal is that he does install a custom leather headband in place of the crappy vinyl one that comes with lower end grados. Also he installs the rod block screw locks which is pretty cool.
post #2276 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post

Would anyone mind sharing how long delivery took for theirs? Mine shipped out on the first of January, I live in Southern California, and they still aren't here...I know they are coming from Thailand, so I am not terribly worried, still...

Hooray! They finally arrived smily_headphones1.gif...now to mail them off to Chris_Himself for cabling...
post #2277 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post


Hooray! They finally arrived smily_headphones1.gif...now to mail them off to Chris_Himself for cabling...

Nice!

post #2278 of 3222

I finally received my V5 drivers this week and assembled them yesterday. Unfortunately, I have no way to A/B my V4 drivers to my V5 drivers, as the cable and cups I used with my V4 drivers are now with the V5. So comparisons are tricky, but this is the best I can do:
 

Upon first listen, I thought the V5's sounded very much like the V4's. And, I still think they do. So, as far as frequency response or tonality is concerned, I really don't notice much of a difference. To me, the lows and mids sound very similar between the V4's and the V5's. A/Bing might reveal what differences do exist, but from memory the lows and mids are similar. The highs even sound the same to me, except that the sibilance I experienced with my V4's is nonexistent with my V5's. This made me very happy.

So what do I notice that's different between the two drivers? Over the last two days of listening, I've become convinced that the V5's are quite a bit more detailed than the V4's. Heck, I thought the V4 drivers were really detailed (a step above Grados in detail retrieval), but Wow. I think the V5's are even more detailed than the V4's. And this makes sense, since Rhydon told me via email that one of the substantial improvements in the V5's would be greater extension to both frequency extremes. If the bass is further extended, it's subtle enough that I don't notice it. But I would agree that the highs sound more extended and detailed. Also, I think the V5's trump the V4's in separation. I don't know if it's a side-effect of increased detail, but I really feel the instrument separation of the V5's is just fantastic, and at times jaw-dropping.


Overall, without being able to A/B, I'd say the V5's are tonally similar to the V4's, but are more detailed with superior separation. A welcome improvement.

post #2279 of 3222

Still impressed by the detail retrieval of the V5's! Any other owners of the V5's noticing the same?

post #2280 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitz View Post

Still impressed by the detail retrieval of the V5's! Any other owners of the V5's noticing the same?
Your impressions match my own almost exacly. I noticed the improved bass more than you did but yes, the detail is amazing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum