Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado modders go Magnum - Page 149

post #2221 of 3222
Larry at Headphile told me he would only do them with, at minimum, a recable. He said that he threw away more than he kept because the work is so delicate and the wood breaks so frequently while doing it. Makes me wonder how Grado pulls it off with the PS500 though. They have wooden inner sleeves...
post #2222 of 3222

Machine vs Hands?

post #2223 of 3222
Possibly...I wonder if they use CNC?
post #2224 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7keys View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

Seems like you've found the headphones, or IEMs rather that have the perfect FR curve for you.

 

I gave up and sock-drawered my V5s. 2 days of pink noise and the bass has been tamed and the initial harshness, present in all the Magnums I've owned when new, has mostly disappeared as well. They are sitting in V4 aluminium shells in a pair of 325is in case anyone is wondering. 

This is the first I've heard of Magnum V5's out, did you do a review of these. 

 

V5 = X.  My initial impressions were that the bass and treble were rather strong, but they've settled down now. I'm waiting on a cable so I can do a V4 vs. V5/X comparison. 

post #2225 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

 

V5 = X.  My initial impressions were that the bass and treble were rather strong, but they've settled down now. I'm waiting on a cable so I can do a V4 vs. V5/X comparison. 

Definitely looking forward to the comparison.

post #2226 of 3222

Hi all,

 

I'm waiting for my V5 & they will be connected to a Little Dot mkII. Is there a more recommended amp for these cans?

 

Thanks

post #2227 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post

 

Nice...I hope you're liking the Magnums....when they popped up the classifieds, I PM'd lostMidrange, and popped off for a snack...twenty minutes later you had beaten me to 'em because I hadn't responded you bugger rolleyes.gif...no hard feelings though, mine should be here from Jin any day now bigsmile_face.gif...my Cabillas cups are waiting quietly on the shelf...

yeah, I snatched them up quick since they were not in stock at that time.evil_smiley.gif  My only problem now is deciding which cups to use.rolleyes.gif

post #2228 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyalcat View Post

Hi all,

 

I'm waiting for my V5 & they will be connected to a Little Dot mkII. Is there a more recommended amp for these cans?

 

Thanks


Check out the FiiO E7 and E17! I am most impressed with my E7.

post #2229 of 3222
I wholeheartedly recommend the Aune T1 (with an upgraded tube).
post #2230 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq70 View Post

I wholeheartedly recommend the Aune T1 (with an upgraded tube).

Can you please explain the difference between the Aune T1 Stardard Version 6N11, Aune T1 Upgrade Version 6922 and the AUNE Fashion T1 6922?

 

I like this amp but do not understand the differences. Thanks in advance.

post #2231 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DankHemingway View Post

Can you please explain the difference between the Aune T1 Stardard Version 6N11, Aune T1 Upgrade Version 6922 and the AUNE Fashion T1 6922?

 

I like this amp but do not understand the differences. Thanks in advance.

The upgrade version means it comes with a better tube. I've never heard of "fashion" version...it's probably just an odd translation. Otherwise the units are identical. In my opinion, skip the upgrade version, then go and order your own 6922 tube. I personally like this one the best so far:

 

http://www.boiaudioworks.com/6N23P

 

But I also like this one:

 

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/6H23-%7B47%7D-6922-Type-3.html

 

and I have this one on order:

 

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Amperex-7308-vintage-gold-pin%21.html

 

 

 

Edit: Also, so I'm clear...the Aune T1 is a tube DAC with a built in solid state amp. That means, you must use the USB input to get use out of the tube. The amp section is solid state.


Edited by joeq70 - 1/8/13 at 10:24am
post #2232 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq70 View Post

The upgrade version means it comes with a better tube. I've never heard of "fashion" version...it's probably just an odd translation. Otherwise the units are identical. In my opinion, skip the upgrade version, then go and order your own 6922 tube. I personally like this one the best so far:

 

http://www.boiaudioworks.com/6N23P

 

But I also like this one:

 

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/6H23-%7B47%7D-6922-Type-3.html

 

and I have this one on order:

 

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Amperex-7308-vintage-gold-pin%21.html

 

 

 

Edit: Also, so I'm clear...the Aune T1 is a tube DAC with a built in solid state amp. That means, you must use the USB input to get use out of the tube. The amp section is solid state.


Brilliant. I am very interested in this AMP. I am currently using a FiiO E7 which I really love. Thank you for the education.

post #2233 of 3222

can anybody help me out how to build a Magnum headphone ?

i'm new in this but can't pay 2000$ for HP1000 right now.

are v5's sound better compared to v4's ?

i want the most lightweight and comfortable magnum as possible.

thank you all'z

beerchug.gif

 

I like all Magnum's but don't know which to get

 

 


Edited by agoston.berko - 1/10/13 at 6:29pm
post #2234 of 3222

Now that's ^ how you make a post lol

post #2235 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by agoston.berko View Post

 

can anybody help me out how to build a Magnum headphone ?

i'm new in this but can't pay 2000$ for HP1000 right now.

are v5's sound better compared to v4's ?

i want the most lightweight and comfortable magnum as possible.

thank you all'z

beerchug.gif

 

I like all Magnum's but don't know which to get

 

I wont be able to compare until some new cables I've ordered arrived for my second pair (I got rid of all my old ones). I'm very happy with the V5/X drivers though.  After a good 50 hours of use the FR is spot-on for me.  I don't know if Rhydon is still making the aluminium chambers etc. though but seems to have partnered with Turbulent Labs for builds now. I understand about weight though -- my first build was with MS2s for this reason.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum