Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado modders go Magnum - Page 112

post #1666 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

 

I love John Grado's older cable, just make sure you don't buy any new Grado above the SR80i, they all come with the 8 conductors cable now, which is twice thicker and so heavy it makes my RS1 fall off my head.

 

Lol I was quite surprised when I got the new SR-125i and it came with that garden hose of a thing. The cable is seriously twice as heavy as the headphone it's attached to.

post #1667 of 3221

In a world where headphones are used in a portable way and cables are always smaller, lighter and more flexible... I'm not sure John Grado made the right decision, a lot of people use easy-to-drive Grados above the SR80i in a portable way too (well me, at least, I do, using the 8 to 3.5 mm adapter), and now that it's implemented and sold as an upgrade he's kind of stuck with it until he finds something better. To me the sonic advantages, if any, are not worth the loss of flexibility and length (the cable is shorter by almost two feet), and yeah even the first cable weighted quite much but it's still nothing compared to that 8 conductors one.

 

Only solution is aftermarket cables I guess :P

post #1668 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

In a world where headphones are used in a portable way and cables are always smaller, lighter and more flexible... I'm not sure John Grado made the right decision, a lot of people use easy-to-drive Grados above the SR80i in a portable way too (well me, at least, I do, using the 8 to 3.5 mm adapter), and now that it's implemented and sold as an upgrade he's kind of stuck with it until he finds something better. To me the sonic advantages, if any, are not worth the loss of flexibility and length (the cable is shorter by almost two feet), and yeah even the first cable weighted quite much but it's still nothing compared to that 8 conductors one.

 

Only solution is aftermarket cables I guess :P

 

The problem with aftermarket cables for DIY is that they use the WORST soldering points too... not only is there a huge glob of... questionable quality solder that resembles cement, but the actual soldering contacts are merely glued in on top of the voice coil. It isn't a legit contact point on a PC board. The glue makes it float and basically if the glue is hot before the solder liquefies and you lift your iron, you're gonna pick up that contact and yank it free from the microscopic voice coil which is essentially how the driver even functions in the first place.

 

As long as youre aware of the hazards, it's fairly easy to do.

 

There is a sonic advantage to the 8 conductor cable as well as a structural advantage.. but I don't know if it's worth the shorter length and weight.

post #1669 of 3221

Since we're talking about cables. I had my magnum recabled from BTG Audio to get something more manageable. The original 325i I had used for the magnum mod had the thick 8 conductor cable and an unwanted 4 pin XLR connector.

 

The thick stock cable and SE adapter was this huge, hulking mess.

 

So I had them recabled with a nice, thin nylon sheathed cable from BTG and a 1/8" termination (for a very affordable price). Now I can use them with an iPod or portable amp with no fuss. sound fine and the cable flexibility is nice.

post #1670 of 3221

I totally agree that the grado/magnum solder points are a poor design. Although I have never done it, melting the pads is one of my fears with these drivers.

 

So instead I leave about an inch of the original wires soldered to the pads and then attach the new cables to these "leads" covering them with heat shrink. I realize that this creates an additional resistance point but I have not noticed any resulting imbalance or sonic effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

 

The problem with aftermarket cables for DIY is that they use the WORST soldering points too... not only is there a huge glob of... questionable quality solder that resembles cement, but the actual soldering contacts are merely glued in on top of the voice coil. It isn't a legit contact point on a PC board. The glue makes it float and basically if the glue is hot before the solder liquefies and you lift your iron, you're gonna pick up that contact and yank it free from the microscopic voice coil which is essentially how the driver even functions in the first place.

 

As long as youre aware of the hazards, it's fairly easy to do.

 

post #1671 of 3221

Has anyone just removed the heavy rubber jacket from the 8 conductor cable (garden hose) to reduce the weight?

I'd like to modify the cable without opening the cups or messing with the original solder.

Can one:

1. remove 1/4" plug

2. strip off the black rubber and y - connector without separating cups

3. braid cable 

4. slide on a light nylon sleeve with heat shrink at the y-connection

5. replace plug with 1/8". A right angle plug would be great with my RSA Shadow

 

The result would be a lighter, shorter cable that would be good for travel or use with a portable amp/DAP.

Does anyone have experience removing the rubber cable jacket without opening the cups?

post #1672 of 3221
Thread Starter 

If you are looking for wood shells to put your Magnums in, Cabillas has some GS-1000 clones he can part with.

 

700

post #1673 of 3221

oh my goodness. those are awesome

post #1674 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

 

I love John Grado's older cable, just make sure you don't buy any new Grado above the SR80i, they all come with the 8 conductors cable now, which is twice thicker and so heavy it makes my RS1 fall off my head.

I meant to say 8 conductor. That's the one I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post

Since we're talking about cables. I had my magnum recabled from BTG Audio to get something more manageable. The original 325i I had used for the magnum mod had the thick 8 conductor cable and an unwanted 4 pin XLR connector.

 

The thick stock cable and SE adapter was this huge, hulking mess.

 

So I had them recabled with a nice, thin nylon sheathed cable from BTG and a 1/8" termination (for a very affordable price). Now I can use them with an iPod or portable amp with no fuss. sound fine and the cable flexibility is nice.

mind sharing a picture and maybe a price via PM? I'm interested in replacing my 8 conductor grado cable.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

Has anyone just removed the heavy rubber jacket from the 8 conductor cable (garden hose) to reduce the weight?

I'd like to modify the cable without opening the cups or messing with the original solder.

Can one:

1. remove 1/4" plug

2. strip off the black rubber and y - connector without separating cups

3. braid cable 

4. slide on a light nylon sleeve with heat shrink at the y-connection

5. replace plug with 1/8". A right angle plug would be great with my RSA Shadow

 

The result would be a lighter, shorter cable that would be good for travel or use with a portable amp/DAP.

Does anyone have experience removing the rubber cable jacket without opening the cups?

 

Yeah, it's been done. More than once. Careful removing the Y split.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratocaster View Post

If you are looking for wood shells to put your Magnums in, Cabillas has some GS-1000 clones he can part with.

 

oh snap. been a while since i've heard that fella's name. 

post #1675 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

Has anyone just removed the heavy rubber jacket from the 8 conductor cable (garden hose) to reduce the weight?

 

There: http://www.head-fi.org/t/563355/how-to-grado-cable-mod

 

The images won't show up in my Chrome, but if you click on them they'll appear

post #1676 of 3221

You can remove the jacket just fine. It's debatable if it looks better, but at least you can appreciate the braid they did on the 8-conductor for you guys.

 

It requires like a $5000 machine to do that braid.

post #1677 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

 

There: http://www.head-fi.org/t/563355/how-to-grado-cable-mod

 

The images won't show up in my Chrome, but if you click on them they'll appear

Thanks for that!

post #1678 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

You can remove the jacket just fine. It's debatable if it looks better, but at least you can appreciate the braid they did on the 8-conductor for you guys.

 

It requires like a $5000 machine to do that braid.

... sarcasm?

post #1679 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

... sarcasm?

 

No I'm serious, I'm debating whether or not to buy one of those myself.

post #1680 of 3221

I've just finished my Magnums. V4 drivers, Cabillas cups, DIY aluminium rods and gimbals, DIY mahogany and leather headband, cardas wire and furutech connector. A few pics:

 

700

 

700

 

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

 

Hope you like it :)


Edited by Alcaudon - 7/29/12 at 4:39am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado modders go Magnum