Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter? - Page 4  

post #46 of 1128
I don't think it necessarily "cripples" the sound. More like, the nice cables improve upon it.
post #47 of 1128

Even if upgrading headphone cable helps, I don't see how a silver wired LCD-2 makes any difference when the wiring inside the LCD-2 is reportedly copper.

post #48 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame21x View Post

This has always bugged me.

 

I can't see why Sennheiser or Audeze would spend so much time designing a top-of-the-line headphone and then intentionally cripple it with a mediocre cable.


He was being ironic. Hopefully you are too.

post #49 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post




He was being ironic. Hopefully you are too.


Oops didn't read the "intentionally" part. redface.gif
post #50 of 1128

Here's another spanner in the works concerning upgraded/braided USB cables for

source devices like DAC's.

 

I'm currently using a $20AUD USB Type A to B 5mm thick copper item from a reasonable retailer down here called

Jay-Car, I bench marked this cable against a freebie, spindly looking thing that came with a UPS I bought a little

while ago.

 

The 'cheapy' drops out every now and then and is more or less unusable, it just stutters and fumbles it's way

through each track. Clearly a case of it's bandwidth not coping.

 

Does this mean I'll see an improvement with a $180AUD Cardas USB over my $20 gold plated item? Probably not,

but I've still got one on the way nonetheless. <Shrug> my loss I guess..

post #51 of 1128


I've taken apart my LCD2s.  The wiring inside is pure silver.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post

Even if upgrading headphone cable helps, I don't see how a silver wired LCD-2 makes any difference when the wiring inside the LCD-2 is reportedly copper.



 

post #52 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermafia View Post


I've taken apart my LCD2s.  The wiring inside is pure silver.

 



 



There you have it.
post #53 of 1128

Great.  We need balanced 24k gold lines for LCD-2s now.

post #54 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenni View Post

 

well it's possible they didn't matter to you, or in your system. hard to say. however, I would've preferred if you had taken the cables home and tried for few days instead for few minutes at the audio store. I wouldn't agree that the money is better spent on dacs, amps etc. as they all equally matter. for sure, cables worth $4000 are not gonna make a $400 system sound like a $4000 system.

 

 



This statement is completely contradictory. You say $4000 cables can't make a $400 system sound like a $4000 one, but say cables are equally as important as an amp, dac, etc? Obviously not, even by your own admission. Money is almost always better spent on a dac, amp, etc. 

post #55 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmars78 View Post

This statement is completely contradictory. You say $4000 cables can't make a $400 system sound like a $4000 one, but say cables are equally as important as an amp, dac, etc? Obviously not, even by your own admission. Money is almost always better spent on a dac, amp, etc. 


Sorry for the slow reply (at school) anyway that's what I was thinking when I read the post.
post #56 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenni View Post

this discussion keeps going around, but come to it is always the same - have you tried high-end cables with your system? the answer is not. and there’s nothing wrong with that, you don’t have to, but please don’t give opinions on something that you haven’t tried.
 


I keep seeing this and it makes no since.

Do you really think, say, a HD650 with a $500 cable on it is anything other than a HD650? 

Are seriously saying you should spend big money on cables before you you upgrade the rest of your system?

Come on, even people who believe in cable magic admit that they are the last few percent of tweaking you do after you have the major parts in place. If the cost of your wire is a significant % of your total system cost, you are not getting good value for your money.

 

post #57 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danamr View Post

I keep seeing this and it makes no since.

Do you really think, say, a HD650 with a $500 cable on it is anything other than a HD650? 

Are seriously saying you should spend big money on cables before you you upgrade the rest of your system?

Come on, even people who believe in cable magic admit that they are the last few percent of tweaking you do after you have the major parts in place. If the cost of your wire is a significant % of your total system cost, you are not getting good value for your money.

 



Especially regarding the HD 650 since it upscales so nicely with a great source and high end solid state amp. 

Cable should be the last finishing touch on that rig.

post #58 of 1128
Thread Starter 

huh, on a related note audeze and sennheiser does not produce any 'upgraded cables' for their headphones. i suppose that in itself means something.............

post #59 of 1128
I don't think their main focus is cables, and they probably do not really want to get into aftermarket cabling mainly because there aren't many manufacturers that focus on supreme quality cabling and design. So I think they left that up to the DIYers/MOTs to handle the cable market since high quality cables is really only assured by hand-making them with good soldering experience. That's most likely why the high end headphones have detachable cables instead of hard wired ones.

And you're still going to want an aftermarket cable to use your sr71b to its fullest potential in balanced or there wouldn't be much point in your spending the extra money on a balanced amp.
post #60 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmars78 View Post

This statement is completely contradictory. You say $4000 cables can't make a $400 system sound like a $4000 one, but say cables are equally as important as an amp, dac, etc? Obviously not, even by your own admission. Money is almost always better spent on a dac, amp, etc. 



contradictory? the differences the nordost speaker cables made to the system were on par (though in different ways) to differences the dac made. Considering what the dac cost, I’d say the cables were a bargain.

 

but then, according to you "science priests" everything sound about the same... so ymiwyw

 

 

I really wish to say more about this... unfortunately I’ve got priorities. my apologies

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter?