Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter? - Page 8  

post #106 of 1128

I agree everything solid-state sounds pretty much the same, unless theres audiable defects like high disortion or noise or frequency roll off, but some amps do interact differently with certain headphones due to output impedance.

post #107 of 1128

The answer to the original question is that yes they do matter, to some people, some of the time with some kit. But you will not know if you are one of those who will get the benefit until you try yourself. I am a sceptic regarding claims about cables, but I can still hear differences when I know what I am listening to. When I do not know what I am listening to, those differences disappear.

 

Ignore those who say cables do not sound different as much as you should ignore those who make pseudoscientific claims for high end cables.

post #108 of 1128

This topic was already very well worn out on "HD650, the veil is gone!" Lets not let it blow up like that one did. Plus, shouldn't this be in Sound Science? And why are all cable aficionados so reluctant to post any scientific measurements or results of ABX testing? To me, all this points to one conclusion...

post #109 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man View Post

The answer to the original question is that yes they do matter, to some people, some of the time with some kit. But you will not know if you are one of those who will get the benefit until you try yourself. I am a sceptic regarding claims about cables, but I can still hear differences when I know what I am listening to. When I do not know what I am listening to, those differences disappear.

 

Ignore those who say cables do not sound different as much as you should ignore those who make pseudoscientific claims for high end cables.

 

I still can't hear differences in cables or dacs/ cd players even when I know what I am listening to, minus optical cables in which case I am pretty sure my glass core 1 sounds better than my plastic core 1 maybe placebo maybe real differences I'm not sure because I don't know that much about opitcal cables.

 

post #110 of 1128

And that is what we should be looking into, not going over old ground yet again.

post #111 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man View Post

The answer to the original question is that yes they do matter, to some people, some of the time with some kit. But you will not know if you are one of those who will get the benefit until you try yourself. I am a sceptic regarding claims about cables, but I can still hear differences when I know what I am listening to. When I do not know what I am listening to, those differences disappear.

 

Agreed pretty much. I honestly don't know why I keep wasting my time with these threads, the arguments are always the same, and minds are never changed. I think part of the reason ABX tests generally fail is that people are brought in to listen to an unfamiliar system, with unfamiliar music. I also suspect that the switching in most cases simply takes FAR too long. Unless the switch from A to B to X is either instant or at least close to it, the results are worthless.

 

When I evaluate cables or anything else, I'm using my system that I'm very familiar with, and tracks that I know backwards and forwards and that I've picked specifically because they stand out in one area or another. I have reference tracks that I use to test treble response, reference tracks for soundstaging, reference tracks for midrange body and warmth, and reference tracks for bass.

 

If somebody just brought me into a room, played a bit of classical music, made me wait two minutes in silence while cables were switched, and then played that same bit of music again, I'd probably fail to be able to distinguish between anything too.

post #112 of 1128
deleted
Edited by Girls Generation - 10/23/11 at 12:53pm
post #113 of 1128

If switching has to be instant, why buy a 'better sounding cable' at all?

 

In real life the switch will not be instant, so if you say you would not be able to hear a difference unless the switching is not instant, how can you hear one in normal listening conditions?

 

Surly a high end cable, particularly because of its cost and sound enhancing properties should sound differnece and indeed better no matter what.

 

That goes back to my post on reasons why cable claims do not stack up, they are inconsistent, so have nothing to do with the cable itself.

post #114 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nny View Post

This topic was already very well worn out on "HD650, the veil is gone!" Lets not let it blow up like that one did. Plus, shouldn't this be in Sound Science? And why are all cable aficionados so reluctant to post any scientific measurements or results of ABX testing? To me, all this points to one conclusion...


Again with the scientific measurements. Oh jeez... One-dimensional through-and-through.

No one person is the same, and everyone will taste the same coffee in a different way. One might say the coffee is way too bitter, one might say it's just mild. It really all depends on what we're used to, and I think same goes for cables.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBSC View Post

 

Agreed pretty much. I honestly don't know why I keep wasting my time with these threads, the arguments are always the same, and minds are never changed. I think part of the reason ABX tests generally fail is that people are brought in to listen to an unfamiliar system, with unfamiliar music. I also suspect that the switching in most cases simply takes FAR too long. Unless the switch from A to B to X is either instant or at least close to it, the results are worthless.

 

When I evaluate cables or anything else, I'm using my system that I'm very familiar with, and tracks that I know backwards and forwards and that I've picked specifically because they stand out in one area or another. I have reference tracks that I use to test treble response, reference tracks for soundstaging, reference tracks for midrange body and warmth, and reference tracks for bass.

 

If somebody just brought me into a room, played a bit of classical music, made me wait two minutes in silence while cables were switched, and then played that same bit of music again, I'd probably fail to be able to distinguish between anything too.


+1
post #115 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man View Post

If switching has to be instant, why buy a 'better sounding cable' at all?

 

In real life the switch will not be instant, so if you say you would not be able to hear a difference unless the switching is not instant, how can you hear one in normal listening conditions?

 

Surly a high end cable, particularly because of its cost and sound enhancing properties should sound differnece and indeed better no matter what.

 

That goes back to my post on reasons why cable claims do not stack up, they are inconsistent, so have nothing to do with the cable itself.


Why buy an LCD3 over LCD2? Why HD800 over HD650? If the switch isn't instant, you'll just get used to the sound of the latters.
It's just the fact that we're listening to the best we can afford, and the satisfaction that comes with it. If you cant hear cables, so be it. Don't try to create a crusade with it. What I notice is, most of these cable threads are made by people who deny cables make a difference. I don't think the cable enthusiasts have a problem with others not being able to hear the difference; however I think it ticks them off that those people are constantly picking a fight, telling the enthusiasts to give scientific proof and quantifiable measurements before they're allowed to believe in cables. Just leave it alone and errthang will be fine. biggrin.gif
Edited by Girls Generation - 10/23/11 at 12:58pm
post #116 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post


Again with the scientific measurements. Oh jeez. One-dimensional through and through.


It is easier to dismiss than to falsify. The science and measurements do not back up cable maker claims and also many audiophile arguments as to what makes one cable sound better than another. That makes some people curious as to what is happening with regards to cables. If you are not, so be it. Please do not dismiss others who disagree with you, as you do want to be dismissed yourself.

 

post #117 of 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Why buy an LCD3 over LCD2? Why HD800 over HD650? If the switch isn't instant, you'll just get used to the sound of the latters.


Because the differences between headphones are readily apparent in blind tests, with or without instant switching?

 

Because the differences between headphones are objectively quantifiable?

post #118 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post


Why buy an LCD3 over LCD2? Why HD800 over HD650? If the switch isn't instant, you'll just get used to the sound of the latters.


There are lots of reason why you and I will buy one headphone over another. Comfort, sound, image, what it is going to be used for. We are getting awy from cables now.

 

post #119 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man View Post

It is easier to dismiss than to falsify. The science and measurements do not back up cable maker claims and also many audiophile arguments as to what makes one cable sound better than another. That makes some people curious as to what is happening with regards to cables. If you are not, so be it. Please do not dismiss others who disagree with you, as you do want to be dismissed yourself.

 


I'm expressing that there doesn't need to be scientific measurements in order for something to exist. Not everything is "law," and that's why we are taught "theories" in science class.
post #120 of 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man View Post

Comfort, sound, image, what it is going to be used for.

That's what I look for in cables. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter?