Any pics of Dubstep Girl modeling these headphones? It might have an influence
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 10/17/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 3/7/13
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/17/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/17/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 10/17/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 10/17/11
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 10/17/11
Related Forum Threads
- High-end Newbie...thoughts appreciated Last post on 6/30/11 at 11:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Most Comfortable Headphone you own!!!! Last post on 10/13/12 at 9:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyer DT990 - 600 ohm version; my last pair of cans for a while? Last post on 10/10/11 at 5:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- so i just got some K 701's.... Last post on 10/6/11 at 12:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650 but more detailed? Last post on 10/1/11 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I’ll be honest. When I was offered a review unit of the Turbines, I was not really looking forward to reviewing them. The CGI render of the Turbines that Ghostek commonly uses for promotion...
Review: Cleer DU High Definition Dual-Driver Headphone Introduction It was a brisk day in a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. I attended AXPONA, which is the Audio Expo North...
The ED9 is overall a good and very funny iem from China. build + design: The metal housing shows confidence and it looks like it won't break for a long time. I did like the looks...
(Player: Cowon Plenue D ; Earphone: JH5) Before I start, I must say that this was not the beginning of my experience with the brand cables. I own the Ares cable also (first model) and make...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION Firstly I want to thank a local NZ Head-Fier (AudioDHD) for allowing me to spend some time...
Comparison of 5 popular cans in the $250-350 range - K701, HD650, DT990/600ohm, SR325is, D2000 - UPDATED!!!! - Page 11post #151 of 1671/15/13 at 2:56pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 1672/7/13 at 4:58ampost #153 of 1672/7/13 at 5:59ampost #154 of 1672/7/13 at 10:38am
I auditioned the same set of Grado's and could not agree more with the initial impression. It was so terribly bright it was hard to listen to at the usual comfortable listening volumes, really turned me off of them. Its good to know that this goes away after a short time of listening. I'm not sure how long the set has been up for audition at the store but i can only assume that it had been a short time. I was on a SS amp at the time and switched to a tube amp (can't recall the names of them) and this helped a bit to warm them up.post #155 of 1672/7/13 at 11:34am
I've heard all of these and OP reaffirms what I heard. Except she's a bit too polite in her critiques. The highs on the DT990s and Grados are way too harsh. The Bass on the DT990s is muddy compared to the D2000s. And the HD650s are just horrible at retrieving detail, and conjuring any sort of excitement. I simply don't understand the appeal of the Senns. Especially at their absurd price. I haven't heard the AKGs though, and this review makes me even more curious.post #156 of 1672/7/13 at 12:18pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by tseliottt
I've heard all of these and OP reaffirms what I heard. Except she's a bit too polite in her critiques. The highs on the DT990s and Grados are way too harsh. The Bass on the DT990s is muddy compared to the D2000s. And the HD650s are just horrible at retrieving detail, and conjuring any sort of excitement. I simply don't understand the appeal of the Senns. Especially at their absurd price. I haven't heard the AKGs though, and this review makes me even more curious.
the WA6-SE with 6ew7 tubes really tamed the highs on most of these headphones, the dt 990 where only bright the first few days of burn-in, and the grados where only bright at higher volumes, and worse on poor recordings,though generally it was tolerable. their brightness really helps extract a ton of detail, much more than the others. the dt 990 rolls off in the sub-bass, but i wouldn't call it muddy, though the denons do perform the bass better than the beyers. the hd 650s are actually quite detailed, but you need a good amp to really bring out their transparency, or else the "veil" congests the sound. i found the hd 650s to be extremely enjoyable, and compared to my old hd 650 setup (entry lvl SS amp, portable amp, and soundcard), it was much much better. it just doesn't seem like it since the other headphones here are brighter, though they ain't as smooth as the 650 (i know the denons and beyers in particularly tend to have more grain in their sound).post #157 of 1672/18/13 at 5:17pm
Thanks for your impressions, Dubstep Girl. This was the first roundup I read and I helped me choose my (excellent) Grado SR325is as a replacement for the SR80i set I had been using for a little over a year. I drive them with my NAD 316BEE and am very happy with the results. Forward, is an understatement, but that suits my listening style perfectly. In fact, I was blown away with how these cans sounded with My Bloody Valentine, compared to the 80s and my IEMs (Shure 210). There is a much wider soundstage and the mids are so immediate. (Is that a good description?) And I won't even go into detail about the listening bliss I felt while listening to "The Guitar Trio".
Thanks again. Head Fi is costing me money, but I am learning much, and I would say my music listening pleasure has trebled in the past few months. : )post #158 of 1672/18/13 at 5:30pmThread Starter
glad you are enjoying them!
they're one of my favorite headphones in this price point, they're a little bright on some setups, but they really bring out the details quite nicely, especially for a headphone at this price!
Edited by Dubstep Girl - 2/18/13 at 5:31pmpost #159 of 1672/22/13 at 2:57pm
They were actually sounding overly bright to me lately, and I found out why. I was using iTunes through that NAD (via analog output on the airport express) and I had the stupid Itunes equalizer enabled. Wow, do I feel the fool. Turned that off, and suddenly the 325s became much more tame, but kept the wider soundstage and beautiful mids. And since I was trying to get used to that artificial brightness, they obviously don't sound at all bright anymore! It is all about perception... Definitely pleased.post #160 of 1675/11/13 at 11:26am
Thanks for this write-up, Dubstep Girl. It's helped me focus on which cans I want to audition. For an audiophile noob like me, it's helpful to find an article on headphone impressions written in "English." It makes it easier to translate the other reviews I've been reading.post #161 of 1676/1/13 at 6:11amQuote:Originally Posted by Saintly
Glad to see that I'm not delusional. After reading so much about how hard the K 701/702s are to drive and how they require hundreds of hours of burn-in, I was very surprised that they sounded the way they did (and gave the D2000s the beating that they did, IMO) straight out of the box with only the FiiO E7.
Would the e10 be able to power the k702 well enough?post #162 of 1676/1/13 at 6:13ampost #163 of 1676/16/13 at 4:07pmpost #164 of 1676/16/13 at 4:10pmThread Starter
very very high volumes, yes.
unfortunately with many bright audiophile headphones, the louder you get, the more obvious the treble becomes. at loud, its not a problem with the 325is, but completely blasting them as loud as they go, yes.post #165 of 1676/16/13 at 4:13pm
- Comparison of 5 popular cans in the $250-350 range - K701, HD650, DT990/600ohm, SR325is, D2000 - UPDATED!!!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 1 minute ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 1 minute ago
- › akg702/712 or something else for precise/accurate/pinpoint... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Low Cost amp recommendations 2 minutes ago
- › will this work? Fiio X1 stacked with a Fiio e12 with this 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica updates CKR series: ATH-CKR100, ATH-CKR90, ATH-CKR70 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 7 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 8 minutes ago
- › Wired 3.5MM Headphones Earphones, Ghostek® Turbine Series Wired... by Cinder
- › Cleer DU High-Definition Dual Driver Headphone by moedawg140
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by thingol
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › ZhiYin QT5 by Brooko
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by ekolite
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by slowpickr
- › Ghostek GHOHP001 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, soDrop Series aptX... by Cinder
- › MEE audio M7P Secure-Fit Sports In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Remote,... by suman134
- › Rock Jaw Alfa Genus V2 Earphones with In-Line Mic & 3x Tuning... by suman134
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...