Usually it's people willing to pay more as the primary reason. Economics.
where did the "3 months r&d" come from? is that from audez'e?
This I don't consider R&D, I call it ultrasonization. Maybe someone can get some info on the new driver as hopefully most of the cost increase isn't just due to cosmetics (esp. considering the look, it's not like universal beauty).
Considering the LCD2 rev2 was released not too long ago... You mean the LCD3 was already in the works way before? I guess this can happen. Not exactly sure with such small size company.
Anyhow, I am actually more excited about the Cavalli Audio stat amp (and deceived Craig did not bring the Electra), more info please!
Well, I'm not sure the rev 2 was a new model or even a planned update as such. From their information release at the time, it seemed they were considering a different diaphragm material anyway, and were forced to move sooner than planned by reliability problems.
That being so, the LCD3 may have been "on the drawing board" for quite a lot longer than 3 months.
I don't mean to pile up speculation though! Regardless, it seems they've certainly been busy...
Has anyone come across any affordable high end music servers?
Re: the LCD-3...
I'm pretty green when it comes to reviewing these things but here's some thoughts - take them with a grain of salt:
1. They appear to be almost the size and weight as the LCD-2
2. They are, in fact, roughly twice the price
3. According to Audeze - there will probably be yet another new flagship phone in about a year or 2 (so you've been warned). The Audeze guy said that there were "things I know we can do better, it just depends on how long it will take to make the changes."
4. They only had the LCD-3s out for demo, so they're pushing them. They said they were still going to make the 2 rev.2, but the Jam was all about the 3.
5. Regarding sonics and musicality, that's probably better left to an owner of the LCD-2s. I've heard the 2's, but not enough to get a feeling that these were much different. At least to my nubile ears, there was not $1000 difference.
6. Regarding the use of the Zebrawood - According to Audeze, "it was cool looking." Nothing about sonics here. The pictures online are probably pretty close to the look and feel - maybe just a hint light, but pretty close.
Excellent info. I'm glad someone asked them about that. Thank you. This is becoming like processors and video cards.
I'll definitely wait now to see what the next generation has to offer. My Rev.1 has yet to leave me dissatisfied.
Oh great, Moore's Law comes to Audio.
Thanks to everyone for sharing, really bummed I can't be there. So far, nobody seems to be saying LCD-3's are that mind-blowing, or worth twice the price. And for me, I hate the new wood, and there seems to be no ergonomic change at all .... hmmmm, lots to think about. Also, no glowing impressions of the JH3A either.
Had really high hopes for both of those ....
Now I'm thinking maybe just demoing and saving for a Stax + WES or BHSE + Better Source -- and be done with it all, seems to be one of the few things everyone universally agrees on to be awesome. Now just a matter of trying and seeing how it fits my taste.
Thanks again guys :)
The RS 220 is a smash hit!!
Is that the new model of Sennheiser?