- 201 Posts. Joined 10/2011
- Location: Marina Del Rey (West Los Angeles), CA
- Select All Posts By This User
- categoryCustom In Ear Monitorstagged by System, 10/19/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 10/19/11
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 10/19/11
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/11
- productUltimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Casetagged by System, 10/19/11
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/11
Related Forum Threads
- Questions on Reshelling IEMs. Last post on 6/6/12 at 7:57am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- So what exactly is the point of BA IEMs with more than 2-3 drivers? Last post on 9/20/11 at 4:30pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Expensive IEMs and Traveling... Last post on 9/5/11 at 9:16pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JH5 + Ibasso T3 = JH14.5 Type Sound! Last post on 8/15/11 at 1:46pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/25/15
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
I've owned this for about 6 months when I bought it direct from China. As a 68 year old it took me back to a time when I used to go to live concerts. But there were hidden costs involved. Firstly...
I`ve had the ATH-A900 LTD in 10 years and they still play very well indeed! I checked out the sound quality this week against the best they had in our local hi-fi store and the ones I heard wasn`t...
BRIEF SUMMARY The HD800 has always been my goal ever since I started on my audio journey 5 years ago, but I was into portable audio back then and the price of the HD800 were fairly expensive so...
Custom IEMs compared to Universals?post #1 of 1010/13/11 at 8:11pmThread StarterHi, I'm thinking about upgrading from my Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 (I use an Apple iPod Nano --> Sendstation Pocketdock line out --> NuForce Icon --> UE TF10). I like the TF10 A LOT better than my previous Shure SE115, which sounded comparatively VERY muddy and bass-heavy. My preference in terms of overall sound of a headphone is on the neutral/analytical side (I have the Stax Lambda Signature I love them, even though they're criticized for being a bit bass light and cold.). I think this is why I like the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10. So, what I'm interested in (for an upgrade) is an IEM that is even more pristine and detailed than the UE TF10 across the entire frequency range. I haven't listened to any other top-tier universal IEM (eg, Shure SE530, Westone 4) and I don't have any experience with custom IEM. Since I love music, I'm willing to spend in excess of $1,000 on IEMs, but I'm hoping to get input from those of you who have owned and listened to the top-tier universal IEMs as well as custom IEMs regarding the amount of difference in quality between the two, which would help me decide if I want to spend the extra few hundred dollars for the custom IEM.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1010/13/11 at 8:22pm
you think the tf10 are neutral/analytical? If you are looking for something flat and neutral/analytical you need to look at a reference monitor. I would say look into the jhaudio 10x3, jh13, or jh10. you could look at the westone es3 or es5. The 5's have a bit of a mid bump but sound amazing. If I was happy with ue Right now I would say look at the ue reference or ue-10
Edited by chef8489 - 10/13/11 at 8:25pmpost #3 of 1010/13/11 at 9:21pm
I will be happy to answer your questions in that thread.post #4 of 1010/13/11 at 9:45pm
Its a good thread.
Quote:Originally Posted by average_joe
I will be happy to answer your questions in that thread.post #5 of 1010/16/11 at 5:57pmpost #6 of 1010/17/11 at 12:49ampost #7 of 1010/21/11 at 2:49am
The best IEMs I've heard are the W4, EX1000, FI-BA-SS, JH13-D (demos) and UERM. All of them are pretty well balanced, the JH13-D have a slight bass hump, the EX1000 and FI-BA-SS minor treble spikes. The W4 and UERM are the flattest to my ears.
If you prefer a leaner and airy sound with huge soundstage and lots of space around notes, I'd recommend the EX1000 or FI-BA-SS. If you like a fuller note and more intimate vocals, but still excellent instrument separation, then go for the UERM or JH13. The W4 are somewhere in between in note weight, presence and spatial presentation.
This is meant as a rough guide and there are much more things to consider, like fit, isolation, etc. Please click the links in my signature and/or read the dedicated threads to get more detailed information about these IEMs.
Last not least I'd like to add, that all mentioned IEMs are extremely capable and only your personal preference can determine which one's the best for you. Be it customs or universals, in my experience there is no absolute best. Good luck for your search.post #8 of 1010/21/11 at 8:52ampost #9 of 1010/22/11 at 4:04pm
JH13 strongly recommended. Bass will be a tad lighter that TF10 but the speed, detail and transparency is insane. A huge step up in that regard over TF10. Must hear to believe.
Edited by Spyro - 10/22/11 at 4:05pmpost #10 of 101/12/12 at 6:40pmThread Starter
Thanks everybody for your advice
After reading a lot of posts on this site, I ended up getting the Future Sonics mg6pro (Kunlun's review ultimately made me decide to get it). I got it two days ago, the fit seems really good, and it sounds great, as I had hoped (lively, engaging, cohesive, dynamic, great bass). I'm looking forward to how it'll sound after it's burned in.
Out of all of the IEMs that I have, in a way, the mg6pro shares more sonic similarities with my Brookstone Clear Dual Drive (it seems like some version of the Radius DDM2. I don't have the DDM2, so I can't comment personally on how they compare.) than with all of my other ones (TripleFi 10, Westone 4, MTPC, Scosche IEM856m). The Brookstone Clear Dual Drive comes the closest in terms of sounding big, expansive, dynamic, and engaging. The Westone 4 didn't work for me. I found it very tinny and boring, which might be partially because of the very short nozzle and I might have deep ear canals.
Now, I'd like to upgrade my dac and amp. Right now, I'm using a Sansa Clip and a Nuforce Icon mobile amp.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Custom IEMs compared to Universals?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 48 seconds ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 55 seconds ago
- › Forza AudioWorks Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › ZTE AXON 7-America's First HiFi Mobile Audio & Dolby ATMOS 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › ampsandsound Mogwai Single-Ended Amplifier by dmhenley
- › Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone by moedawg140
- › RHA MA750 by bobghosh
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...