Hey, I am looking for some flat EIMs for reference monitoring under $500, with good isolation. Recommendations appreciated! thanks
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/11
- productHiFiMAN RE272tagged by System, 10/19/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 10/19/11
- productSony MDR EX600tagged by System, 10/19/11
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/11
Related Forum Threads
- Any classical musicians or regular classical concertgoers here using IEMs? Last post on 12/4/12 at 11:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 4/25/16 at 8:58am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Klipsch x10i Last post on 9/19/12 at 3:52pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
In the present state of portable audio markets, with one-upmanship of driver counts (and prices) fast becoming the norm, Campfire Audio has blazed its own path by offering immaculately crafted,...
VIDEO REVIEW ALL REVIEWS ARE CREATED BY SOULSIKREVIEWS.COM AND MORE DETAILED REVIEW CAN BE FOUND ON THE WEBSITE INTRODUCTION We reviewed the VE Monk Plus recently and fell in love with it. The...
VIDEO REVIEW ALL REVIEW ARE DONE @ SOULSIKREVIEWS.COM and more insightful review can be found on our site. INTRODUCTION If you are on a budget then you are in for some good luck because...
First if I would like to thank Meze for including me in their review program. I did NOT receive these for free, like all other reviewers in the program I have been given a 1 week window to...
Intro Meze Headphones is a company with a simple philosophy; Motivation, Values, People. With a passion for art and music, achieved through patience and dedication, Meze design...
Recommend flat reference monitor IEMs plz (under $500)post #1 of 1310/13/11 at 3:30pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1310/13/11 at 4:01pmpost #3 of 1310/13/11 at 4:04pm
I did a review you can read from the link below on the Sony MDR-EX600's that post some really nice graphs. Tyll's charts can be found below as well. Even though in my review I did not recommend them I based this off of not having comply tips with the included ear tips, the crack in the test set I had, and the $200 cost. They sounded amazing and once I installed the Comply T-400 tips I really enjoyed them, but I question their long term durability. Just be sure to check their warranty prior to making your purchase. If I remember correctly it is 90 days.
Sony MDR-EX600 Review
Tylls Graphs:post #4 of 1310/13/11 at 4:11pmpost #5 of 1310/13/11 at 4:24pmpost #6 of 1310/13/11 at 7:40pm
No need to jump to customs right off the bat.
The EX600's are a good start. They're the best price/performance ratio out of any IEM I have ever owned.
(Woo! Over 500 posts now :D! )post #7 of 1310/13/11 at 7:53pmpost #8 of 1310/13/11 at 8:52pm
you do know what the terms flat and reference monitor mean right? i haven't heard the E-Q7 or re-272, but none of the others except perhaps um3x are what i would call flat. good iems? yes, flat? nopepost #9 of 1310/16/11 at 11:25ampost #10 of 1310/16/11 at 11:36am
If great isolation (~30 db+) is a must for you, then ER4 P/S is what you are looking for. If average 20-25 db average isolation is OK for you, then RE0 or RE272 are even better for flat response than the ER4 IMO. RE272 is the flattest IEM I ever tried. RE0 is quite close. ER4 is a tad behind the two with an emphasis on upper mids and lower highs, a certain lack of depth and fullness in the sound and a tad too much dryness IMO.post #11 of 1310/16/11 at 11:41ampost #12 of 1310/16/11 at 11:50amQuote:
Well said. You can take the E-Q7 off, far from it. I've auditioned the RE272 and found it more suitable for non-stage monitoring purposes. If you want on-stage monitoring, the UM3X is one of the top. If you desire non-stage monitoring purpose, I would add the MTPC.post #13 of 1310/16/11 at 12:26pm
I'm surprised there's even mention of vented in-ears such as the GR07/EX600, especially after the OP mentioned he's looking for good isolation, for which there are certainly better options than the two aforementioned. Of the ones I've owned, I'd personally recommend the W4, RE252 (discontinued, but there's always the for sale section), RE272, K2 SP, and ER4S. Of the aforementioned, the ER4S is about as flat a response as you can get, while the K2 SP is a very very close second. They're both on par with one another in terms of isolation. The W4 is infamous for it's nearly ruler flat sounding signature, and it's just as good an option as any. The RE252 is also an absolute favorite of mine, with a very natural, flat response. The RE272 has some sparkle to it, but it's also another great alternative. I'd still give it to either the ER4S/K2 SP as your absolute best options. All the best my friend.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recommend flat reference monitor IEMs plz (under $500)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 18 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 40 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Ranking the Stars - flinkenick's 2017 IEM Flagship Shootout 4 minutes ago
- › Power amp recommendation 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier 5 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 6 minutes ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 7 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Meze 12 Classics by Bansaku
- › Rock Jaw Audio Resonate by ngoshawk
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by krenky
- › Final F4100 by jwbrent
- › Audio-Technica AT-PHA100 by Army-Firedawg
- › Noble Audio Katana by EZE99
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear