Hey, I am looking for some flat EIMs for reference monitoring under $500, with good isolation. Recommendations appreciated! thanks
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/11
- productHiFiMAN RE272tagged by System, 10/19/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 10/19/11
- productSony MDR EX600tagged by System, 10/19/11
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/11
Related Forum Threads
- Any classical musicians or regular classical concertgoers here using IEMs? Last post on 12/4/12 at 11:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 12/29/13 at 11:22pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Klipsch x10i Last post on 9/19/12 at 3:52pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Disclaimer: I would like to sincerely thank Salsera and Brainwavz for providing the sample S5 for this review. For most of my audio listening “career”, I haven’t been a big fan of...
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Recommend flat reference monitor IEMs plz (under $500)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I did a review you can read from the link below on the Sony MDR-EX600's that post some really nice graphs. Tyll's charts can be found below as well. Even though in my review I did not recommend them I based this off of not having comply tips with the included ear tips, the crack in the test set I had, and the $200 cost. They sounded amazing and once I installed the Comply T-400 tips I really enjoyed them, but I question their long term durability. Just be sure to check their warranty prior to making your purchase. If I remember correctly it is 90 days.
Sony MDR-EX600 Review
No need to jump to customs right off the bat.
The EX600's are a good start. They're the best price/performance ratio out of any IEM I have ever owned.
(Woo! Over 500 posts now :D! )
you do know what the terms flat and reference monitor mean right? i haven't heard the E-Q7 or re-272, but none of the others except perhaps um3x are what i would call flat. good iems? yes, flat? nope
If great isolation (~30 db+) is a must for you, then ER4 P/S is what you are looking for. If average 20-25 db average isolation is OK for you, then RE0 or RE272 are even better for flat response than the ER4 IMO. RE272 is the flattest IEM I ever tried. RE0 is quite close. ER4 is a tad behind the two with an emphasis on upper mids and lower highs, a certain lack of depth and fullness in the sound and a tad too much dryness IMO.
Well said. You can take the E-Q7 off, far from it. I've auditioned the RE272 and found it more suitable for non-stage monitoring purposes. If you want on-stage monitoring, the UM3X is one of the top. If you desire non-stage monitoring purpose, I would add the MTPC.
I'm surprised there's even mention of vented in-ears such as the GR07/EX600, especially after the OP mentioned he's looking for good isolation, for which there are certainly better options than the two aforementioned. Of the ones I've owned, I'd personally recommend the W4, RE252 (discontinued, but there's always the for sale section), RE272, K2 SP, and ER4S. Of the aforementioned, the ER4S is about as flat a response as you can get, while the K2 SP is a very very close second. They're both on par with one another in terms of isolation. The W4 is infamous for it's nearly ruler flat sounding signature, and it's just as good an option as any. The RE252 is also an absolute favorite of mine, with a very natural, flat response. The RE272 has some sparkle to it, but it's also another great alternative. I'd still give it to either the ER4S/K2 SP as your absolute best options. All the best my friend.
- Recommend flat reference monitor IEMs plz (under $500)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 53 seconds ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 4 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 4 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120 4 minutes ago
- › Why the Beats Hate? 5 minutes ago
- › Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 - Aus Only 8 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 8 minutes ago
- › Vsonic GR07 mk2 8 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by HK_sends
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)