Hey, I am looking for some flat EIMs for reference monitoring under $500, with good isolation. Recommendations appreciated! thanks
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/11
- productHiFiMAN RE272tagged by System, 10/19/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 10/19/11
- productSony MDR EX600tagged by System, 10/19/11
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/11
Related Forum Threads
- Any classical musicians or regular classical concertgoers here using IEMs? Last post on 12/4/12 at 11:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 12/29/14 at 8:36am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Klipsch x10i Last post on 9/19/12 at 3:52pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Everything sounds great, extremely clean and extremely detailed on the HD 650. Fantastic clean sound, fantastic resolution, fantastic tone, warm, extremely well balanced, great bass (not...
EL-8 fuses the best of many worlds for me. Picture if you will, the deepest, well defined bass you have ever heard. Now add to the picture the warmth only a ribbon tweeter can produce. Top all this...
M6 Pro reviewThe original m6 holds a special place in my heart. It was my first iem purchased after joining Head-fi. It was also my first pair of quality in ear headphones and a stepping stone that...
2 years ago when Fiio X3 came in place, I was so proud to say that it was one the best high quality digital audio player on the market at that time with a very good smooth sound, engaging bass...
They beat my DT 770's. That was enough for me. Everything about them was better. Vocal clarity, soundstage....upfront vocals...beautiful and not just for the price. Under rated... people don't...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Recommend flat reference monitor IEMs plz (under $500)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I did a review you can read from the link below on the Sony MDR-EX600's that post some really nice graphs. Tyll's charts can be found below as well. Even though in my review I did not recommend them I based this off of not having comply tips with the included ear tips, the crack in the test set I had, and the $200 cost. They sounded amazing and once I installed the Comply T-400 tips I really enjoyed them, but I question their long term durability. Just be sure to check their warranty prior to making your purchase. If I remember correctly it is 90 days.
Sony MDR-EX600 Review
No need to jump to customs right off the bat.
The EX600's are a good start. They're the best price/performance ratio out of any IEM I have ever owned.
(Woo! Over 500 posts now :D! )
you do know what the terms flat and reference monitor mean right? i haven't heard the E-Q7 or re-272, but none of the others except perhaps um3x are what i would call flat. good iems? yes, flat? nope
If great isolation (~30 db+) is a must for you, then ER4 P/S is what you are looking for. If average 20-25 db average isolation is OK for you, then RE0 or RE272 are even better for flat response than the ER4 IMO. RE272 is the flattest IEM I ever tried. RE0 is quite close. ER4 is a tad behind the two with an emphasis on upper mids and lower highs, a certain lack of depth and fullness in the sound and a tad too much dryness IMO.
Well said. You can take the E-Q7 off, far from it. I've auditioned the RE272 and found it more suitable for non-stage monitoring purposes. If you want on-stage monitoring, the UM3X is one of the top. If you desire non-stage monitoring purpose, I would add the MTPC.
I'm surprised there's even mention of vented in-ears such as the GR07/EX600, especially after the OP mentioned he's looking for good isolation, for which there are certainly better options than the two aforementioned. Of the ones I've owned, I'd personally recommend the W4, RE252 (discontinued, but there's always the for sale section), RE272, K2 SP, and ER4S. Of the aforementioned, the ER4S is about as flat a response as you can get, while the K2 SP is a very very close second. They're both on par with one another in terms of isolation. The W4 is infamous for it's nearly ruler flat sounding signature, and it's just as good an option as any. The RE252 is also an absolute favorite of mine, with a very natural, flat response. The RE272 has some sparkle to it, but it's also another great alternative. I'd still give it to either the ER4S/K2 SP as your absolute best options. All the best my friend.
- Recommend flat reference monitor IEMs plz (under $500)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › HeadAmp GS-1 Black with Dynalo+ modules (230V, ALPS pot) just now
- › Music City Meet -- Spring 2015 -- Pics & Impressions Thread 13 seconds ago
- › AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition is The Best AK 240 Ever Made like... 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 3 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN Flagship Headphone HE1000 Beta Testing Opportunity – it’s... 3 minutes ago
- › Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Recommendations for first hi-fi rig 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Petrosmalk
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by tonyjoy
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by indieman
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by kytuphicanh
- › Takstar Pro 80 by alphaproject
- › Sony Playstation PS One - Video Game Console by Stereocilia
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by Wokei
- › OPPO PM-3 by Soundsgoodtome
- › Focal XS Satellite Speakers with Dock for iPod and MP3 Players by cuiter23
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone, Professional Sound Good Sound... by twister6
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2