Hey, I am looking for some flat EIMs for reference monitoring under $500, with good isolation. Recommendations appreciated! thanks
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/11
- productHiFiMAN RE272tagged by System, 10/19/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 10/19/11
- productSony MDR EX600tagged by System, 10/19/11
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/11
Related Forum Threads
- Any classical musicians or regular classical concertgoers here using IEMs? Last post on 12/4/12 at 11:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 12/29/13 at 11:22pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Klipsch x10i Last post on 9/19/12 at 3:52pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Recommend flat reference monitor IEMs plz (under $500)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I did a review you can read from the link below on the Sony MDR-EX600's that post some really nice graphs. Tyll's charts can be found below as well. Even though in my review I did not recommend them I based this off of not having comply tips with the included ear tips, the crack in the test set I had, and the $200 cost. They sounded amazing and once I installed the Comply T-400 tips I really enjoyed them, but I question their long term durability. Just be sure to check their warranty prior to making your purchase. If I remember correctly it is 90 days.
Sony MDR-EX600 Review
No need to jump to customs right off the bat.
The EX600's are a good start. They're the best price/performance ratio out of any IEM I have ever owned.
(Woo! Over 500 posts now :D! )
you do know what the terms flat and reference monitor mean right? i haven't heard the E-Q7 or re-272, but none of the others except perhaps um3x are what i would call flat. good iems? yes, flat? nope
If great isolation (~30 db+) is a must for you, then ER4 P/S is what you are looking for. If average 20-25 db average isolation is OK for you, then RE0 or RE272 are even better for flat response than the ER4 IMO. RE272 is the flattest IEM I ever tried. RE0 is quite close. ER4 is a tad behind the two with an emphasis on upper mids and lower highs, a certain lack of depth and fullness in the sound and a tad too much dryness IMO.
Well said. You can take the E-Q7 off, far from it. I've auditioned the RE272 and found it more suitable for non-stage monitoring purposes. If you want on-stage monitoring, the UM3X is one of the top. If you desire non-stage monitoring purpose, I would add the MTPC.
I'm surprised there's even mention of vented in-ears such as the GR07/EX600, especially after the OP mentioned he's looking for good isolation, for which there are certainly better options than the two aforementioned. Of the ones I've owned, I'd personally recommend the W4, RE252 (discontinued, but there's always the for sale section), RE272, K2 SP, and ER4S. Of the aforementioned, the ER4S is about as flat a response as you can get, while the K2 SP is a very very close second. They're both on par with one another in terms of isolation. The W4 is infamous for it's nearly ruler flat sounding signature, and it's just as good an option as any. The RE252 is also an absolute favorite of mine, with a very natural, flat response. The RE272 has some sparkle to it, but it's also another great alternative. I'd still give it to either the ER4S/K2 SP as your absolute best options. All the best my friend.
- Recommend flat reference monitor IEMs plz (under $500)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 2 seconds ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 27 seconds ago
- › ROCK JAW Testers 41 seconds ago
- › Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Impression of Stoner Acoustics UD100... 45 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE60 Review and Impressions Thread ~ 5 minutes ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum vs Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P7 7 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 8 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)