Hey, I am looking for some flat EIMs for reference monitoring under $500, with good isolation. Recommendations appreciated! thanks
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/11
- productHiFiMAN RE272tagged by System, 10/19/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 10/19/11
- productSony MDR EX600tagged by System, 10/19/11
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/11
Related Forum Threads
- Any classical musicians or regular classical concertgoers here using IEMs? Last post on 12/4/12 at 11:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 12/29/13 at 11:22pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Klipsch x10i Last post on 9/19/12 at 3:52pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
i know you already read the threads full of people talking about how nice is this earphone. i know they're all talking about how cheap and bang for buck it is and which one is the original and...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Recommend flat reference monitor IEMs plz (under $500)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I did a review you can read from the link below on the Sony MDR-EX600's that post some really nice graphs. Tyll's charts can be found below as well. Even though in my review I did not recommend them I based this off of not having comply tips with the included ear tips, the crack in the test set I had, and the $200 cost. They sounded amazing and once I installed the Comply T-400 tips I really enjoyed them, but I question their long term durability. Just be sure to check their warranty prior to making your purchase. If I remember correctly it is 90 days.
Sony MDR-EX600 Review
No need to jump to customs right off the bat.
The EX600's are a good start. They're the best price/performance ratio out of any IEM I have ever owned.
(Woo! Over 500 posts now :D! )
you do know what the terms flat and reference monitor mean right? i haven't heard the E-Q7 or re-272, but none of the others except perhaps um3x are what i would call flat. good iems? yes, flat? nope
If great isolation (~30 db+) is a must for you, then ER4 P/S is what you are looking for. If average 20-25 db average isolation is OK for you, then RE0 or RE272 are even better for flat response than the ER4 IMO. RE272 is the flattest IEM I ever tried. RE0 is quite close. ER4 is a tad behind the two with an emphasis on upper mids and lower highs, a certain lack of depth and fullness in the sound and a tad too much dryness IMO.
Well said. You can take the E-Q7 off, far from it. I've auditioned the RE272 and found it more suitable for non-stage monitoring purposes. If you want on-stage monitoring, the UM3X is one of the top. If you desire non-stage monitoring purpose, I would add the MTPC.
I'm surprised there's even mention of vented in-ears such as the GR07/EX600, especially after the OP mentioned he's looking for good isolation, for which there are certainly better options than the two aforementioned. Of the ones I've owned, I'd personally recommend the W4, RE252 (discontinued, but there's always the for sale section), RE272, K2 SP, and ER4S. Of the aforementioned, the ER4S is about as flat a response as you can get, while the K2 SP is a very very close second. They're both on par with one another in terms of isolation. The W4 is infamous for it's nearly ruler flat sounding signature, and it's just as good an option as any. The RE252 is also an absolute favorite of mine, with a very natural, flat response. The RE272 has some sparkle to it, but it's also another great alternative. I'd still give it to either the ER4S/K2 SP as your absolute best options. All the best my friend.
- Recommend flat reference monitor IEMs plz (under $500)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Band Name Game II 49 seconds ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 1 minute ago
- › I have $1000 for audio in my new computer build. Is this my best... 1 minute ago
- › What are the best budget dynamic/BA hybrid IEMs? 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 3 minutes ago
- › AURALiC owners unite! 3 minutes ago
- › New sound card advice 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Which Upgrade for Tech Dummy 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by vaziyetu
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)