Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Audeze LCD3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Audeze LCD3 - Page 608

post #9106 of 11328
Maybe we need a new model shortcut.......LCD3CF (LCD3C with the fazor upgrade)smily_headphones1.gif
post #9107 of 11328
New impressions from Tyll @ Innerfidelity!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audeze-lcd-x-fazor-and-fresh-listen-current-lcd-2-and-lcd-3
post #9108 of 11328
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post

New impressions from Tyll @ Innerfidelity!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audeze-lcd-x-fazor-and-fresh-listen-current-lcd-2-and-lcd-3


Very nice! Excellent article from Tyll.

 

For me I'd like three things:

 

1. Lower weight and better comfort

2. Bigger more open soundstage

3. Better separation between bass, mids and treble. You may think that the separation on the Audeze is good but compared to HD800 it is not in my opinion.

 

Video at the end! Holy crap that's a lot of nice equipment! :eek:

 

 


Edited by TwoEars - 5/9/14 at 6:54pm
post #9109 of 11328
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post


Very nice! Excellent article from Tyll.

 

For me I'd like three things:

 

1. Lower weight and better comfort

2. Bigger more open soundstage

3. Better separation between bass, mids and treble. You may think that the separation on the Audeze is good but compared to HD800 it is not in my opinion.

 



Agreed, though I doubt they will be getting much lighter anytime soon, just something you gotta put up with for exceptional sound quality I guess. I would like a bit wider soundstage too, but not at the expense of musicality, something I felt the HD-800's lacked.
post #9110 of 11328
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post


Very nice! Excellent article from Tyll.

For me I'd like three things:

1. Lower weight and better comfort
2. Bigger more open soundstage
3. Better separation between bass, mids and treble. You may think that the separation on the Audeze is good but compared to HD800 it is not in my opinion.

I like HD800 and LCD3 as they both hv the magic I need in music~
post #9111 of 11328
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post

New impressions from Tyll @ Innerfidelity!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audeze-lcd-x-fazor-and-fresh-listen-current-lcd-2-and-lcd-3

Good stuff. Thanks for posting the link. smily_headphones1.gif
post #9112 of 11328

Interesting article from Tyll. Just found out by rubbing my finger over the inner mesh that my recently RMA'd 3s now have the Fazor technology fitted. Wondered why they sounded a bit louder at the same volume setting, put it down to the mods I had done to my dac, but now realize it must be the higher z of 110.

post #9113 of 11328

The article from IF confirms what I suspected when I got my pair of the lcd2 earlier this year. The house sound of Audeze has made a shift towards more neutral and less dark. The darker signature is something that I've always preferred. But the truly mesmerizing  aspect of the Audeze hp, has always been the incredibly extended tight bass. Tyll makes more than a couple references to wishing there were a few more db added to the bass response. 

 

I was ready to spend the big bucks for the lcd3 and be done with it. But now, I'm not so sure. More sparkle and less bass...I might be better off buying and older used pair to get the signature that I preferred. 

post #9114 of 11328
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

The article from IF confirms what I suspected when I got my pair of the lcd2 earlier this year. The house sound of Audeze has made a shift towards more neutral and less dark. The darker signature is something that I've always preferred. But the truly mesmerizing  aspect of the Audeze hp, has always been the incredibly extended tight bass. Tyll makes more than a couple references to wishing there were a few more db added to the bass response. 

 

I was ready to spend the big bucks for the lcd3 and be done with it. But now, I'm not so sure. More sparkle and less bass...I might be better off buying and older used pair to get the signature that I preferred. 

+1 Matt. I have the old LCD 3 which I am going to keep "unmodded". I do regret selling the LCD 2.2

post #9115 of 11328

People can say what they want about these "incremental silent upgrades" as well, I much prefer knowing what version of a headphone I'm buying.

 

I'm not saying that incremental upgrades are all bad, but at least name them LCD-3.1 / LCD-3.2 / LCD-3.3 and so on.

 

Silent upgrades without any kind of track record just feels to me like there's a problem with the product and they want to sweep it under the rug.

 

And don't do them too often.... once every year is the absolute max I'd say.

post #9116 of 11328

I'm planning to purchase a pair of LCD-3F at some point but I'm also planning to keep my LCD-2 rev.1.  It has the bass and darkness in spades.  

I think the LCD-2 rev.1 or LCD-3 rev.1 will be in demand like the Vintage Grados someday.  

post #9117 of 11328
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post
 

People can say what they want about these "incremental silent upgrades" as well, I much prefer knowing what version of a headphone I'm buying.

 

I'm not saying that incremental upgrades are all bad, but at least name them LCD-3.1 / LCD-3.2 / LCD-3.3 and so on.

 

Silent upgrades without any kind of track record just feels to me like there's a problem with the product and they want to sweep it under the rug.

 

And don't do them too often.... once every year is the absolute max I'd say.

 

What if you were in charge? What if you, as you work day to day buried in test equipment, discover it can be a little bit better with a moved trace on the diaphragm?  Would you say, "Nah, well just take a note and put it down for a change next year"? 

 

Sorry man, they're just trying to make a great headphone. The world moves quickly...competitors aren't standing still...this is a race, and Audeze---like everyone else---wants to win. If you were in their shoes, you'd be working just as hard (I would hope) as the folks at Audeze to make strides towards the ridiculously ephemeral goal of perfect reproduction. 

 

Seriously, we should be glad these guys are making strides...and not bitching about progress.

post #9118 of 11328
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin sawdust View Post

Interesting article from Tyll. Just found out by rubbing my finger over the inner mesh that my recently RMA'd 3s now have the Fazor technology fitted. Wondered why they sounded a bit louder at the same volume setting, put it down to the mods I had done to my dac, but now realize it must be the higher z of 110.

Just curious.... Did Audeze say replaced the drivers under the RMA? Did they do a new FR graph? Have you measured the DCR of your HP after they came back?
post #9119 of 11328
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin sawdust View Post
 

Interesting article from Tyll. Just found out by rubbing my finger over the inner mesh that my recently RMA'd 3s now have the Fazor technology fitted. Wondered why they sounded a bit louder at the same volume setting, put it down to the mods I had done to my dac, but now realize it must be the higher z of 110.

 

Boy, I seriously doubt they replaced the driver when adding the Fazor. The Fazor prolly improves efficiency a bit. Not sure, and likely not much, I reckon the mods to your DAC did something.

post #9120 of 11328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post
 

 

What if you were in charge? What if you, as you work day to day buried in test equipment, discover it can be a little bit better with a moved trace on the diaphragm?  Would you say, "Nah, well just take a note and put it down for a change next year"? 

 

Sorry man, they're just trying to make a great headphone. The world moves quickly...competitors aren't standing still...this is a race, and Audeze---like everyone else---wants to win. If you were in their shoes, you'd be working just as hard (I would hope) as the folks at Audeze to make strides towards the ridiculously ephemeral goal of perfect reproduction. 

 

Seriously, we should be glad these guys are making strides...and not bitching about progress.

 

I've seen Dan at Mr. Speakers facing the same sort of issues with discovery of improvement and when to implement it. I've been in several of the test groups and watched this issue unfold. Some told him it was too soon to come out with another change so soon. I liked his philosophy which was simply, "I have to give them my best." I can respect that. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Audeze LCD3