Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Audeze LCD3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Audeze LCD3 - Page 526

post #7876 of 9536

Kinda like the belief that the Audeze either sing .. or they don't ! haha   ridiculous.

post #7877 of 9536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Comes down to laid back or aggressive.  And yes the GS-X mk2 just smashes them both... as expected given the price and reputation.

Elaborate please. I know you weren't the biggest fan of Mojo. Meaning, break down the 'smashing' of both amps comparatively. 

post #7878 of 9536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Comes down to laid back or aggressive.  And yes the GS-X mk2 just smashes them both... as expected given the price and reputation.

 

So does the Taboo Mk3 as per my short summary last page, and it's considerably less than the GS-X MK2. That said, I never heard the GS-X MK2 (but own the Soloist and heard the Mjolnir), but I hope someone brings the GS-X down at the October meet in London. The Taboo will be there.


Edited by negura - 7/21/13 at 2:41am
post #7879 of 9536

The GS-X has sold hundreds of units and there have been maybe 3-5 for sale in the last five years give or take.  That's what I meant by reputation.  It's why a used GS-X mk2 will cost you nearly the full $3000 of a new one.   Driving it home, the gents with GS-X amps that went up in the last year pretty much all bought the mk2 so really they're still GS-X users they've just swapped to the new model.  But it is pricey and a real bummer that the GS-1 is no longer in production since the mk2 module helps those too.

 

Now on how they wipe the floor...

 

On the W4S DAC-2 and LCD-3 I compared the Mjolnir and Soloist.  The Soloist is high detail, high separation, pinpoint focus but a little thin and relaxed compared to natural reproduction.  Still better than most, only the Peak and GS-X were more natural in my rig.  The Mjolnir swung the other way, high detail, good separation, soft focus, still a little thin but aggressive to the point of being shouty.  The LCD-3 is already a pretty high impact can, so crossing into shouty results in a rip it off your head type reaction.  So I preferred the Soloist.

 

Now on the GS-X mk2, all the audiophile buzz words apply, tonal balance is shifted down, aggression is higher than the Soloist but not Mjolnir high.  It's that sweet spot of natural attack without being shouty and it's so butter smooth :D

 

I never got to try the HD800 on the Mjolnir and it was good on the Soloist, much better on the GS-X because that can is lifeless and distant to me without gear with great focus and drive.  Which brought me full circle, good as the HD800 is on the GS-X, the LCD-3 also bumps up and in my case bumped the HD800 out the door.

post #7880 of 9536
Quote:
Originally Posted by negura View Post

 

So does the Taboo Mk3 as per my short summary last page, and it's considerably less than the GS-X MK2. That said, I never heard the GS-X MK2 (but own the Soloist and heard the Mjolnir), but I hope someone brings the GS-X down at the October meet in London. The Taboo will be there.

Always curious how we hear things.

 

I think the Taboo III is a good tube amp (like WA22 good), but it's not even close

to EC Super 7 good yet alone, ZD, 2A3 or BA good. And I would definitely put GS-X up there

in that mix as 'the top tier', although I haven't heard MKII I only expect Justin stepped it up.

post #7881 of 9536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

The GS-X has sold hundreds of units and there have been maybe 3-5 for sale in the last five years give or take.  That's what I meant by reputation.  It's why a used GS-X mk2 will cost you nearly the full $3000 of a new one.   Driving it home, the gents with GS-X amps that went up in the last year pretty much all bought the mk2 so really they're still GS-X users they've just swapped to the new model.  But it is pricey and a real bummer that the GS-1 is no longer in production since the mk2 module helps those too.

 

Now on how they wipe the floor...

 

On the W4S DAC-2 and LCD-3 I compared the Mjolnir and Soloist.  The Soloist is high detail, high separation, pinpoint focus but a little thin and relaxed compared to natural reproduction.  Still better than most, only the Peak and GS-X were more natural in my rig.  The Mjolnir swung the other way, high detail, good separation, soft focus, still a little thin but aggressive to the point of being shouty.  The LCD-3 is already a pretty high impact can, so crossing into shouty results in a rip it off your head type reaction.  So I preferred the Soloist.

 

Now on the GS-X mk2, all the audiophile buzz words apply, tonal balance is shifted down, aggression is higher than the Soloist but not Mjolnir high.  It's that sweet spot of natural attack without being shouty and it's so butter smooth :D

 

I never got to try the HD800 on the Mjolnir and it was good on the Soloist, much better on the GS-X because that can is lifeless and distant to me without gear with great focus and drive.  Which brought me full circle, good as the HD800 is on the GS-X, the LCD-3 also bumps up and in my case bumped the HD800 out the door.

Thanks Solude. Most of what you said makes sense to me in regards to both Mojo and Soloist.

 

Although, with the LCD-3 Mojo is a really nice pairing. I hope GS-X carries that good synergy over and ends the upgraditus. 

post #7882 of 9536

It's why I noted that it was on the W4S which I consider shoutier than the Metrum Octace and PWD2.  It's quite possible it was just letting the W4S do its thing.  Don't know, don't have one anymore so can't revisit that question.  The statement hybrid should be interesting since you'll be able to tune the character but I'm likely to sit pretty with the HeadAmp.  I hope some day they bring the hybrid input to the Mjolnir level because there are many of us you don't need speaker taps that would love a hybrid option.  The Cav LG could possibly fit the bill too if the price was at least $2K less.


Edited by Solude - 7/21/13 at 4:23am
post #7883 of 9536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Can you describe the sound of the LCD-3 on the Mjolnir vs the Emotiva mini-x-a-100 or GS-X mkII. Earlier you told me that Emotiva can only get louder in comparison to the GS-X, so was wondering where the Mjolnir fits in as a reference. I'd really like to know about the sound between Emotiva and Mjolnir. Not gonna bother with asking about GS-X as you along with others already found that to be top notch.

 

LOL I am all over the place with my budget and what I might get and when I might get. With amps ranging from Mjolnir to Soloist to Conductor to GS-X mkII to Liquid Gold? eek.gif

 

 

I might get a HD800 later on, but could very well go for speakers instead.

 

The a-100 and the Mojo are both aggressive amps.  The Mojo just takes it up a notch in clarity and focus.  Unlike Solude, I like the aggressiveness of the Mojo with the LCDs compared to my Beta22.  The LCDs IMO can be a "Too" laid back headphone if you don't give it a kick in the ass - so to speak.  To my ears..

 

And yes the Mojo is a more transparent amp when compared to the a-100.  However, there have been reports of hum on both with more sensitive headphones.  I have no idea what the gain is on the Mojo, but the gain has to sort of high on the speaker amp a-100.  I'd go with the Mojo hands down over the a-100.  

 

The only thing is.  I only like that aggressiveness with the LCDs and not any other headphone.  

 

At this point - I've found the GS-X mk2 to be the most versatile amp I've heard - overtaking that from the Beat22 that over took it from the GS-1.

 

"I" find no reason to pay $6.5K for a SS amp.  Heck, the new Schiit amp is only going to cost around $1.5K, how much better do think that $6.5K amp will sound over the new Schiit amp - if it sounds better at all?

 

You put a NAD m51, W4S DAC-2 or a PWD mkII on the MoJo = Bingo.  Good setup for the LCDs  IMO..

post #7884 of 9536
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

The a-100 and the Mojo are both aggressive amps.  The Mojo just takes it up a notch in clarity and focus.  Unlike Solude, I like the aggressiveness of the Mojo with the LCDs compared to my Beta22.  The LCDs IMO can be a "Too" laid back headphone if you don't give it a kick in the ass - so to speak.  To my ears..

 

And yes the Mojo is a more transparent amp when compared to the a-100.  However, there have been reports of hum on both with more sensitive headphones.  I have no idea what the gain is on the Mojo, but the gain has to sort of high on the speaker amp a-100.  I'd go with the Mojo hands down over the a-100.  

 

The only thing is.  I only like that aggressiveness with the LCDs and not any other headphone.  

 

At this point - I've found the GS-X mk2 to be the most versatile amp I've heard - overtaking that from the Beat22 that over took it from the GS-1.

 

"I" find no reason to pay $6.5K for a SS amp.  Heck, the new Schiit amp is only going to cost around $1.5K, how much better do think that $6.5K amp will sound over the new Schiit amp - if it sounds better at all?

 

You put a NAD m51, W4S DAC-2 or a PWD mkII on the MoJo = Bingo.  Good setup for the LCDs  IMO..

 

The Emotiva is aggressive.confused.gif With LCD-3's at times I actually find it a bit laid back. If Soloist/Condcutor is on the laid back side of Emotiva/Mjolnir, then I guess the Bursons are out. Luckily I'll get to try the Burson's out for myself to decide. Gotta go with the recommendations for the Mjolnir though. I wouldn't mind having the Mjolnir for only the Audeze's and then later on getting a GS-X. Also, did you get to try out any Hifiman's on the Mjolnir?

 

Also, if forgetting the other cans, is the Mjolnir at least good enough for the LCD-3? How's the treble on it and also in your opinion what are some shortcomings of the combo. Thanks. 


Edited by Zoom25 - 7/21/13 at 4:42am
post #7885 of 9536
Anyone know what the mjolnir + modi sound like with the lcd3's?
post #7886 of 9536

This is just me - but I would rule the Conductor out as well.  Those all in ones get out dated pretty fast - can't match DACs or roll DACs to fit your headphones.  

 

I still have not heard the Soloist and not really interested so can't comment on that.

 

Didn't really like the Mojo with the HE-6 - it got pretty loud yes, but the bass was lacking and the highs were a bit harsh IMO.  The HE-500s sound OK on it.  IMO.

 

Like the a-100 the Mojo is not a good match for most headphones.  Again IMO. 

 

The only shortcomings is going to be - how do you like your LCDs served up to you?  It may be a bit to aggressive or it may be just what the doctor ordered.  For me it was just what the doctor ordered.  That's why I'm kinda looking forward to the new Schiit amp (Rag).  The Rag vs. the D hi (Dynahi) is going to be very interesting.  

 

IMO the LCDs need a kick in the ass as far as the treble goes.  The Mojo does that and does it good - to my ears.  Others like a more laid back sound.  I like energy in my treble.  The a-100 is not as refined as the Mojo, it can be a tad bit blurry compared to Mojo.  The a-100 to me is a transparent amp.  But when you compare it to the Mojo and I guess the 02 it's not so much.

post #7887 of 9536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

Anyone know what the mjolnir + modi sound like with the lcd3's?

 

it will work.  You'll want to upgrade sooner than later.  Got to start somewhere though.  

post #7888 of 9536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

Anyone know what the mjolnir + modi sound like with the lcd3's?

 

Your system will be bottlenecked by the Modi. A good transparent amplifier will let you hear your DAC, but the Mjolnir does have a personality of its own.

If you are quite set on going for the LCD-3s, that's probably the most cost effective route rather than work your way through lesser cans. But you won't be getting them at their best and to get to a sweet point you would have to upgrade your DAC, as the DAC is just as important as the amplifier. Low SQ in, low SQ out.

 

With the disadvantage preproman mentioned regarding the flexibility, the Burson Conductor is one of the biggest bangs for the buck. For approx £1000 on the used market you get a great amplifier, an even better DAC (imo), a good preamp and USB async 192.


Edited by negura - 7/21/13 at 5:08am
post #7889 of 9536
Quote:
Originally Posted by negura View Post

Your system will be bottlenecked by the Modi. A good transparent amplifier will let you hear your DAC, but the Mjolnir does have a personality of its own.

If you are quite set on going for the LCD-3s, that's probably the most cost effective route rather than work your way through lesser cans. But you won't be getting them at their best and to get to a sweet point you would have to upgrade your DAC, as the DAC is just as important as the amplifier. Low SQ in, low SQ out.

With the disadvantage preproman mentioned regarding the flexibility, the Burson Conductor is one of the biggest bangs for the buck. For approx £1000 on the used market you get a great amplifier, an even better DAC (imo), a good preamp and USB async 192.

I'll consider the conductor, I was planning in getting a record player too so it could be useful for that too...
post #7890 of 9536
Or maybe lyr + bifrost?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Audeze LCD3