Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Audeze LCD3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Audeze LCD3 - Page 446

post #6676 of 9887
Thread Starter 

Doesn't Jude use a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable with his LCD3's?

post #6677 of 9887
Quote:

 

There is one caveat: my "super" LCD3, my first RMA pair, which lasted less than 24 hours, I would have preferred on the BA. Never heard any dynamic headphone as fast that that one. Although mwilson's pair came very close to it. And even then, it suffered the same fate as GMF2010's pair. It seemed to get more veiled over time. Like in a few days while I had it in my possession.

 

Well if the veiling effect happened over several days, then I don't think I would be too worried as at least you could determine if you have a good or bad pair within the first few weeks of owning it. But if there are some units that degrade over many months, then who knows how many people are afflicted, or will be afflicted by this. I am just hoping all of these "problems" are indeed resolved with the units starting with 261 in the serial number.

post #6678 of 9887
I guess the LCD3 drivers don't respond too well to "overclocking".
post #6679 of 9887

I'm sure things are fine with the vast majority of people. I just happen to know people who are really sensitive to even the most minor of changes. Or either they just somehow find me. It could all be placebo with us imaging things, and Audeze being nice enough to cater to our whims.

post #6680 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

I guess the LCD3 drivers don't respond too well to "overclocking".

 

LOL. The soda I was drinking just came out of my nose.

post #6681 of 9887
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post

Doesn't Jude use a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable with his LCD3's?
Mixed up my Dragon's. I meant Silver Dragon
post #6682 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

I'm sure things are fine with the vast majority of people. I just happen to know people who are really sensitive to even the most minor of changes. Or either they just somehow find me. It could all be placebo with us imaging things, and Audeze being nice enough to cater to our whims.

 

I hope you are right afterall this is a considerable investment for many people, including me. I do recall seeing posted somewhere that someone measured their headphones response at new, and then again several hundred hours later and there was a fairly obvious difference. Now while that could have been inconsistent measuring, it was nevertheless another bit of possible evidence. Does anyone recall where those graphs are posted because I have looked for them again and can't find them anywhere.....

post #6683 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonstatt View Post

 

I hope you are right afterall this is a considerable investment for many people, including me.

 

While I'd say they are expensive for headphones, let's not romantice them. Whether you buy $100 electronics or $40000 cars, you are never safe from problems. "Boohoo" if you have to send in the phones few times in their lifetimes. Atleast we know Audeze has to take care of us for a few years and they have done so very well. Try fighting with some car dealerships.

post #6684 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonstatt View Post

 

Well if the veiling effect happened over several days, then I don't think I would be too worried as at least you could determine if you have a good or bad pair within the first few weeks of owning it. But if there are some units that degrade over many months, then who knows how many people are afflicted, or will be afflicted by this. I am just hoping all of these "problems" are indeed resolved with the units starting with 261 in the serial number.


I purchased a 261-unit a week ago. Interesting is that the "Warranty docs"-file was opened and a new graph from the 1st of August was inside. New drivers? No idea.

Haven't noticed anything weird. Took about 50-60 hs for the sound to mature a bit. But they sound excellent. Hope it lasts! :)

post #6685 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekeli View Post

 

While I'd say they are expensive for headphones, let's not romantice them. Whether you buy $100 electronics or $40000 cars, you are never safe from problems. "Boohoo" if you have to send in the phones few times in their lifetimes. Atleast we know Audeze has to take care of us for a few years and they have done so very well. Try fighting with some car dealerships.

 

I have never ever had to get headphones serviced in the past, cheap or expensive. The only thing that I have ever had to do is replace earpads. If you have a complicated device like a car or a "bean to cup" coffee maker, of course you expect to have to service them. In which case you choose a manufacturer that has a dealership near you, or a local servicing arrangement. I am in the UK. Audeze is in the US. I absolutely disagree with your notion that you should expect to send something like a pair of headphones for repair a few times in their lifetime. That should be an absolute unusual exception and not a regular occurrence. I have high-end audio equipment that is more than a decade old without incident or trouble that are far more complicated devices than these headphones.

 

I know Audeze takes care of their customers. In this respect they are a good company to deal with. I just don't think a device like headphones "should" need so much aftercare!

post #6686 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentinHogea View Post


I purchased a 261-unit a week ago. Interesting is that the "Warranty docs"-file was opened and a new graph from the 1st of August was inside. New drivers? No idea.

Haven't noticed anything weird. Took about 50-60 hs for the sound to mature a bit. But they sound excellent. Hope it lasts! :)

 

My 261-unit has a graph dated 12th August. At the moment, even the newest stock seems to be from a batch made during August. Mine also sound absolutely excellent and for now I am very happy indeed. I have actually heard 3 LCD-3s, and I use my digital piano to test for differences. They all had the same timbre/tone and apparent response, and in that sense I was pleased by the consistency between them. However, one of them had a ringing (a bit like hearing a harmonic but it shouldn't have been there) when I played piano notes around middle C with sustain. Once my ears tuned into it I couldn't stop hearing it. That one was a 231-unit that had a graph that said (Repair) next to the serial number at the bottom (e.g. an RMA). As of yet, other than one poster who had an immediate driver failure with a 261 unit (normal odd faulty unit), the latest ones so far seem to be okay.

post #6687 of 9887

I'm of the opinion Audeze has pampered its costumers.  RMAs to implement new process to old headphones, replacements because people want a check up, free replacement of wear items, sending out alternate parts for free... good luck getting any of that from Senn or Beyer.

 

Fact is Audeze could refuse service for any reason other than failure but they don't.

post #6688 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonstatt View Post

I know Audeze takes care of their customers. In this respect they are a good company to deal with. I just don't think a device like headphones "should" need so much aftercare!

 

Just like Hifiman, Audeze is somewhat fresh company dealing with new technology (well old, but you get my point?). I have no illusions to expect flawless products, but I expect them to stand behind the products.

 

edit: Oh and surely if you buy them from UK, you would also send them back through the UK supplier, it makes no difference that Audeze is from the US. I'm sure EU-regulations guarantee this.


Edited by hekeli - 11/5/12 at 5:05am
post #6689 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekeli View Post

 

Just like Hifiman, Audeze is somewhat fresh company dealing with new technology (well old, but you get my point?). I have no illusions to expect flawless products, but I expect them to stand behind the products.

 

edit: Oh and surely if you buy them from UK, you would also send them back through the UK supplier, it makes no difference that Audeze is from the US. I'm sure EU-regulations guarantee this.

 

Indeed, perhaps I just had a "wrong" perception that after the learnings of the LCD-2, that the LCD-3 would be smoother. As for the UK, I did buy through a UK supplier although some buy direct from the US too. However in the event of a failure, I would have to send to the supplier, who would send to the US, who would send back to the supplier etc etc, which would likely mean being without the headphones for a considerable time period. I use mine daily to practice the piano and so would miss them greatly if I was without them.

 

As I said in another post though, please do understand, I love the sound I get from the LCD-3. I am so happy with these headphones. I just feel slightly unnerved by reports of sound degradation with time, and am just hoping that it never happens to me.

post #6690 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post

Doesn't Jude use a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable with his LCD3's?

Don't know about Jude but I do.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Audeze LCD3