Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Audeze LCD3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Audeze LCD3 - Page 444

post #6646 of 9612

I had basically the opposite experience with the LCD-3: bought a pair during pre-orders, liked them but didn't love them. Had them RMA'ed, liked them more but still didn't love them. Sold them. Missed them, and bought another RMA'ed pair from the first run. Totally love them now, and my other cans get less and less head time every day.

 

In the absence of anything remotely scientific to suggest driver failure over time, I have another possible explanation: pad wear. Many users (including myself) have found the LCD-3 to be incredibly sensitive to pad shape and fullness. Is it possible that your pads are compressing and thereby compromising sound quality? This might be the case if, for example, you store them on a solid headphone rack like one of those mannequin-type deals.

 

Just a thought.

post #6647 of 9612

I just dropped them off at FedEx. Audeze told me they'd have a look at them and determine if there's anything wrong.

 

My pads have always been very thin at the front and sloped forwards quite severely. Some of the more recent pictures I've seen seem to indicate they are now stuffing the pads more heavily toward the front (as in this picture: http://audeze.com/audeze-playboy). I can't say I've noticed them compressing any more over time, but it's possible.

 

As far as stands, I use a chrome woo stand which exerts no pressure on the pads (other than the pads leaning against themselves). I almost bought a Sievking Omega stand, but ended up not doing so for the exact reason you stated.

 

I'll just wait and see what Audeze says and then assess the situation from there.
 

post #6648 of 9612

Are we sure the BA is a good match for the LCD3?

post #6649 of 9612

Yes.  It is second to one.  

post #6650 of 9612

I love my LCD3s but I give the nod for sonics to the ATH-W3000anv, which has a little more detail (in a smooth, non-analytic, insightful way, and I consider the these ATHs to have an incredibly natural sound).

At the current prices, the ATHs have sound to compete with anything out there, maybe actually the best around, no kidding.

Just this model though; I didn't like other ATHs I had and sold them.

They are an on the ear model though, and I prefer around the ear ones for comfort, so YMMV for comfort (but they are very light and don't press hard so I hardly feel them).

But the sonics are soooooo nice with wonderfully integrated bass and highs with no frequency spikes that I can hear and INCREDIBLE vocals.

To repeat, my W3Kanv phones are NATURAL NATURAL NATURAL!  I love the sound so much I got a backup pair when there was a good sale.


Edited by rgs9200m - 10/26/12 at 9:31am
post #6651 of 9612

How is the soundstage on the LCD3s presented? Is it a oval, left and right ear or some other way?

post #6652 of 9612

It really depends on the DAC / amp combo. Really.

 

The Mjolnir makes them stretch more left / right. The V200 focus on the depth.

 

With a god DAC and the Mjolnir, I do not miss soundstage width. 

post #6653 of 9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

I love my LCD3s but I give the nod for sonics to the ATH-W3000anv, which has a little more detail (in a smooth, non-analytic, insightful way, and I consider the these ATHs to have an incredibly natural sound).

At the current prices, the ATHs have sound to compete with anything out there, maybe actually the best around, no kidding.

Just this model though; I didn't like other ATHs I had and sold them.

They are an on the ear model though, and I prefer around the ear ones for comfort, so YMMV for comfort (but they are very light and don't press hard so I hardly feel them).

But the sonics are soooooo nice with wonderfully integrated bass and highs with no frequency spikes that I can hear and INCREDIBLE vocals.

To repeat, my W3Kanv phones are NATURAL NATURAL NATURAL!  I love the sound so much I got a backup pair when there was a good sale.

Yes the W3000ANV are great and are my favorite closed headphones so far. My ears actually fit inside the ear pads so I find them very comfortable and with a great seal so the bass is really good based on my taste (I am not a basshead) but you are right there is something about that midrange that is magical and seductive wink.gif

post #6654 of 9612

I missed the sale 2 weeks ago on Amazon for 1049, now they're all back to 1299.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

Yes the W3000ANV are great and are my favorite closed headphones so far. My ears actually fit inside the ear pads so I find them very comfortable and with a great seal so the bass is really good based on my taste (I am not a basshead) but you are right there is something about that midrange that is magical and seductive wink.gif

post #6655 of 9612

i would hope so for a 1,000 headphone

post #6656 of 9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow View Post

I had basically the opposite experience with the LCD-3: bought a pair during pre-orders, liked them but didn't love them. Had them RMA'ed, liked them more but still didn't love them. Sold them. Missed them, and bought another RMA'ed pair from the first run. Totally love them now, and my other cans get less and less head time every day.

In the absence of anything remotely scientific to suggest driver failure over time, I have another possible explanation: pad wear. Many users (including myself) have found the LCD-3 to be incredibly sensitive to pad shape and fullness. Is it possible that your pads are compressing and thereby compromising sound quality? This might be the case if, for example, you store them on a solid headphone rack like one of those mannequin-type deals.

Just a thought.

Absolutely, I'm just listening to a new RMA set, ad the pads are much fuller and stiffer. And That does wonders for soundstage. I'm actually selling this tomorrow, and am having massive seller's remorse now. If I knew they sounded like this it'd be a much harder decision to sell them even though I have Stax 009s.

I used to have this impression that vocals were leaned more toward one side of the headphones (left side) and over time I thought I was imagining things like the left pad being more collapsed than the right and hence sitting closer to my ear. That said I don't see how they can avoid this collapse over time though. The pads for the lcd3 are Significantly thicker then the LCD2 which means more of the weight is resting on the earpads. Over time that will lead to collapse.

And have any of you tried them straight out from an iphone 5 with a converter? It sounds amazing. So much so that I just put these on to test them for the buyer, and haven't been able to take them off for the last hour.
Edited by athenaesword - 10/30/12 at 4:52am
post #6657 of 9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMF2010 View Post

I just dropped them off at FedEx. Audeze told me they'd have a look at them and determine if there's anything wrong.

 

My pads have always been very thin at the front and sloped forwards quite severely. Some of the more recent pictures I've seen seem to indicate they are now stuffing the pads more heavily toward the front (as in this picture: http://audeze.com/audeze-playboy). I can't say I've noticed them compressing any more over time, but it's possible.

 

As far as stands, I use a chrome woo stand which exerts no pressure on the pads (other than the pads leaning against themselves). I almost bought a Sievking Omega stand, but ended up not doing so for the exact reason you stated.

 

I'll just wait and see what Audeze says and then assess the situation from there.
 

 

I just received my LCD-3 back from Audeze. Turns out the drivers and pads were replaced. No explanation was given as to what was wrong, but the LCD-3 sound that I remember, before my pair went 'flat,' is back! I no longer have to question my sanity! Well... at least not pertaining to this matter.

post #6658 of 9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMF2010 View Post

 

I just received my LCD-3 back from Audeze. Turns out the drivers and pads were replaced. No explanation was given as to what was wrong, but the LCD-3 sound that I remember, before my pair went 'flat,' is back! I no longer have to question my sanity! Well... at least not pertaining to this matter.

 

That's a bad thing in a way though right? Because that implies that your LCD-3s degraded over time.....

post #6659 of 9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMF2010 View Post

I'm not quite sure what's going on with my LCD-3s... I just can't seem to get any enjoyment out of them as of late. Granted, I recently went through a nightmare with PS Audio (horrendous warranty support), so I was without a DAC for over two months. At first I thought it was just the DAC needing to be burned in, but now, after several hundred hours, I still can't get any real enjoyment out of these headphones. The best way to describe how I feel is that vocals and mids are more recessed than I seemed to remember before I sent my DAC out for warranty. In general, the music just sounds dull and lifeless compared to what I remember.

I've tried swapping the driver in my Balancing Act, but that hasn't seemed to make much of a difference. I'm using KR-PX4 output tubes, but I don't have any way of testing them (or a spare pair of outputs to do any A/B).

Has anyone experienced this 'turn for the worst' in sq on their LCD-3? At this point I'm contemplating sending them back to Audeze to get checked out. If for no other reason, it's the 'easiest' course of action that doesn't require me spending mega bucks to get an additional set of output tubes, on the off chance it could be my issue.

Any advice would be appreciated! I just want to enjoy some music after being without a working rig for so long, but it's just not happening!

P.S. I received my 3's back from RMA on January 2, 2012, so I assume they're up to date.


My LCD3s just got a shot of adrenaline when I amped them with the Mjolnir.
The LCDs sound sluggish with the ECDA, now.
Don't get me wrong. I still prefer the HD800s & Grados with the ECBA.
post #6660 of 9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHZADA123 View Post


My LCD3s just got a shot of adrenaline when I amped them with the Mjolnir.
The LCDs sound sluggish with the ECDA, now.
Don't get me wrong. I still prefer the HD800s & Grados with the ECBA.

Oh wow. What is it about the LCD-3 as a whole on Mojo are you preferring to the ECBA?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Audeze LCD3