Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Audeze LCD3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Audeze LCD3 - Page 28

post #406 of 9887

You'd think all these intelligent people making headphones and showcasing them would have private listening rooms...

post #407 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post

Some of the posts I've read here and on other Forums center on the LC-3's double ticket price than the 2, if it's indeed worth it, what are these Audeze guys thinking, etc.  These comments don't have anything to do with the LC-3 but more the fact that LC-2 owners who (having written countless Forum posts on the glories of the 2 and how much better they are than greater priced Senn HD800's, T-1's, HE-6's) no longer have bragging rights.  We owned a sub $1,000 audiophile headphone that absolutely kicks butt, is built in America, and we could rub that in others audio-dom.  I've never heard the 3 but I bet it is better by quite a bit and why shouldn't it be?  Speaker companies have flagships that have substantial cost over other models and they are much better.  So it's not like we got dumped by the prom queen here.  It's more like the Porsche (Corvette, Ferrari, Bugatti) you bought last year that was top dog just was offered with a new engine package making the car faster but doubles it's prices.



I'm not sure about the bragging rights theory at least not for me, maybe because I only read and interact with other LCD-2 owners and the LCD-2's are my first set of cans.   Do people actually do that with their cans, use them as bragging rights or for rubbing it in?  

The opposite is true for me when I have non audiophiles around my gear.  I completely avoid telling them what the gear costs.  They already know I'm insane.

post #408 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt View Post

Do people actually do that with their cans, use them as bragging rights or for rubbing it in?



Of course.  It is common on this board, for example.

post #409 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiti View Post

Of course.  It is common on this board, for example.

Rubbing it as in a genie that might appear? I think that bragging rights does figure in for some but that is true in all walks of life. 
 

 

post #410 of 9887

Congratulations to Audez’e on all these new products (Ether, Reality and the new LCDs) – got to say Audez’e have made a great contribution to the world of audio gear in such a short time and I’m looking forward to seeing and hearing their new products for myself at some point.

 

In terms of the visual design and finishing I find these a bit lacking though. I love the brown leather on the pads and headband, at first glance it looks higher quality as well as just looking classier, but that’s about the only change I like. My main issue is that if you were to place these side by side with the LCD-2 (with leather band) and ask a complete stranger to the world of head-fi which was the higher model, I guess most would guess the LCD-2. Hopefully there will be changes from the prototype to the final version but…

 

- The chrome looking metal XLR mount looks cheap and tacky in comparison to a beautifully carved cable entry protruding straight from the housing – this is the biggest and most obvious way the LCD-2 looks like the more expensive, higher quality set of headphones;

 

- Zebrano is obviously an expensive wood, but looks much less classy than a darker wood. I can understand that they want to change from Caribbean rosewood to give the new phone its own visual identity, but with that lovely brown leather surely a darker wood like an Ebony variety, blackwood, ziricote or something like that would have given a great appearance of luxury?

 

- Gold lettering on the grilles? Really? Reminds me of Saddam’s palaces…

 

- Keeping with those cheap and nasty plastic rod blocks? They ruined the look of the LCD-2 when introduced, and look even more out of place on a flag ship…

 

I don’t mean to be overly critical here; they basically look like LCD-2s so they basically look great. Just seems to me every visual change to differentiate makes them look cheaper rather than more expensive.

 

Take the pads and headband from the LCD-3, the metal rod blocks from the early LCD-2 and the housing and grille from the later LCD-2s and you’ve got the best of the LCD design elements IMO.

 

And Yes, I know the sound is most important, everyone knows that and everyone agrees. Obviously if these sound as good as they promise to the people who can afford them will still buy them, and so they should, but if you make a set of headphones that are vying to be the worlds best, they should look the part too.

 

I made exactly the same criticism of Stax’s awkward looking re-using of the 507 headband and 007 cable entry pieces on the flagship 009. You have this opportunity to create the world’s best headphone and then you cut corners and take easy options on the final details of the design? Just seems like a waste to me. If you have a phone of incredible sound quality and comfort, then add incredible product design to it, you have a classic and timeless product.

post #411 of 9887

A big +1 to the post above.

post #412 of 9887



I know of only one that all to obvious does that. But it´s not specific to the LCD-2 though lol

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiti View Post

Of course.  It is common on this board, for example.



 

post #413 of 9887

@EddieE

 

I agree. I think Audeze just about got away with the steampunk look for the LCD2's.

 

But, blinged-up steampunk... eek.gif

 

 

 

post #414 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultel 2009 View Post

@EddieE

 

I agree. I think Audeze just about got away with the steampunk look for the LCD2's.

 

But, blinged-up steampunk... eek.gif

 

 



I'd say the LCD-2's are a bit more Dieselpunk than Steampunk. And with the LCD-3's new chrome pieces for the cable mounting, I think they're heading more toward Mid-Century Modern.

 

se

 

 

 

 

post #415 of 9887

@ Steve Eddy

 

I defer to your greater wisdom.

 

(They still look "blinged-up" to me. biggrin.gif  And if those cable mountings get much higher, they'll be sticking out of the top soon.)

 

 

post #416 of 9887

 

Well, chrome was the "bling" of  mid-century modern. So I'm not really disagreeing with you on the bling thing.

 

Now days it's gold.

 

se

 

 

post #417 of 9887

Does anyone know if Audeze will offer the LCD3 with the choice of foam or leather headband (as the LCD2 is offered with)?

post #418 of 9887

Heard the LCD-2 Rev. 1, LCD-2 Rev. 2, and LCD-3 all at RMAF on Saturday, all on the Apex Peak.  I have to say that of the three, I actually preferred the original LCD-2 Rev. 1.  I just felt that the Rev. 1 had some of the best mids I've heard from any headphone, and the tonal balance of the Rev. 2 and LCD-3 seems to shift the focus away from the mids a little bit.

 

It's hard to evaluate in meet conditions, but my personal opinion is that the LCD-3 couldn't be called more than 5% better than either of the LCD-2 'phones.  If I still owned my LCD-2 Rev. 1, I certainly would not be rushing out to buy the LCD-3.

 

I also got a chance to demo the Audez'e speakers -- the Reality 1 and the line array (whose name eludes me).  The Reality 1 was a very impressive monitor and I think it has a good chance to be a great success.  On the other hand, I think Audez'e has overstepped their bounds a bit with the line array.  IMO, there are far better speakers to be had for the same price, all in a much less physically imposing design.

 

One more comment on the Reality 1 -- these speakers were *extremely* directional.  The high frequency driver has to be pointed directly at the listener for them to sound as they should.  For me, this defines them almost exclusively as a monitoring speaker, not the kind of speaker that one would use for general music enjoyment.  I think speakers with a wider dispersion pattern are much more suited to casual listening.

post #419 of 9887

Id be intrested to hear the new rev 2 and lcd-3. I think my very early version of the LCD-2 sounds amazing. Im not too sure where it can get better. 

post #420 of 9887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophonax View Post

Heard the LCD-2 Rev. 1, LCD-2 Rev. 2, and LCD-3 all at RMAF on Saturday, all on the Apex Peak.  I have to say that of the three, I actually preferred the original LCD-2 Rev. 1.  I just felt that the Rev. 1 had some of the best mids I've heard from any headphone, and the tonal balance of the Rev. 2 and LCD-3 seems to shift the focus away from the mids a little bit.

 

It's hard to evaluate in meet conditions, but my personal opinion is that the LCD-3 couldn't be called more than 5% better than either of the LCD-2 'phones.  If I still owned my LCD-2 Rev. 1, I certainly would not be rushing out to buy the LCD-3.

 

I also got a chance to demo the Audez'e speakers -- the Reality 1 and the line array (whose name eludes me).  The Reality 1 was a very impressive monitor and I think it has a good chance to be a great success.  On the other hand, I think Audez'e has overstepped their bounds a bit with the line array.  IMO, there are far better speakers to be had for the same price, all in a much less physically imposing design.

 

One more comment on the Reality 1 -- these speakers were *extremely* directional.  The high frequency driver has to be pointed directly at the listener for them to sound as they should.  For me, this defines them almost exclusively as a monitoring speaker, not the kind of speaker that one would use for general music enjoyment.  I think speakers with a wider dispersion pattern are much more suited to casual listening.


thank for the informative impressions. what do you think of the lcd3 and the sony r10? from what you wrote i'd guess that the r10's transparent

mids still reign supreme, but the bass and highs of the lcd3 outshine the r10?

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Audeze LCD3