Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live... - Page 40

post #586 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkid View Post

Just sent mine off for black plates, ferrite change and custom engraving! Can't wait to see the results

 

 

Do you know the effects of that ferrite change?

post #587 of 692
Lowers output impedance, better for low impedance IEMs and headphones, had to do with damping factor. As the previous 11ohm output was very high. It affects the frequency response, mainly the bass I think
post #588 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkid View Post

Lowers output impedance, better for low impedance IEMs and headphones, had to do with damping factor. As the previous 11ohm output was very high. It affects the frequency response, mainly the bass I think

 

 

Damn, you shouldn't have told me that! Now I also want to send mine back! Damn, damn, damn... biggrin.gif

post #589 of 692
Look up output impedance importance, and damping factor.

The ferrite change is free

I'm a IEM guy, so important for me.
post #590 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkid View Post

Look up output impedance importance, and damping factor.
The ferrite change is free
I'm a IEM guy, so important for me.

 

 

And I'm becoming one too, as more and more I just use IEM's! PM...

post #591 of 692

Just received my upgraded black end plates yesterday and they look fantastic. They are 2-3 mm thicker than the original silver so the switches will sit a little more inward on the unit.  I have to wait to install them though as i shipped my unit to JDS for the ferrite swap/mod which i decided to do after i had already ordered the plates. John stated that it was a 10 min procedure so im hoping the turn around is quick and i ll have it back in hand next week.


Edited by 808Ronin - 9/30/12 at 10:10am
post #592 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Ronin View Post

Just received my upgraded black end plates yesterday and they look fantastic. They are 2-3 mm thicker than the original silver so the switches will sit a little more inward on the unit.  I have to wait to install them though as i shipped my unit to JDS for the ferrite swap/mod which i decided to do after i had already ordered the plates. John stated that it was a 10 min procedure so im hoping the turn around is quick and i ll have it back in hand next week.


What was the shipped cost for the new endplates?

post #593 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSatch View Post


What was the shipped cost for the new endplates?

 

Steve: $15 + shipping.

 

We increased endplate thickness from 1mm to 2mm to give a more solid look and feel.

Reply
post #594 of 692

jseaber, can you tell us the advantages of the new ferrite change? And do you have any plans to make these new upgraded endplates also in silver? I actually like the original c421 look, with the black body and silver endplates...

post #595 of 692

putente: "randomkind" has given a reasonable answer. Output-Z should be no more than 1/8 the value of your headphone impedance. So, a 10 ohm source (amp) should be paired with 80+ ohm headphones to minimize impact on frequency response. The entire audible frequency range can be altered, not just bass.

 

In simplest terms, lower output-Z means more ideal performance with lower impedance headphones.

Reply
post #596 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post

putente: "randomkind" has given a reasonable answer. Output-Z should be no more than 1/8 the value of your headphone impedance. So, a 10 ohm source (amp) should be paired with 80+ ohm headphones to minimize impact on frequency response. The entire audible frequency range can be altered, not just bass.

 

In simplest terms, lower output-Z means more ideal performance with lower impedance headphones.

 

 

Ok, thanks! I also wanted to know what you had to say about the ferrite change... smile.gif

 

But what about the new endplates in silver? Any plans on making them also in silver in the near future, or they'll be only available in black?

post #597 of 692
I think they are making everything in black now.
post #598 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

I think they are making everything in black now.

 

 

Yes, it seems so. I actually like the original c421 color scheme, with the black body and silver endplates. Well, I guess I have to join the dark side too... biggrin.gif

post #599 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by putente View Post

 

 

Ok, thanks! I also wanted to know what you had to say about the ferrite change... smile.gif

 

But what about the new endplates in silver? Any plans on making them also in silver in the near future, or they'll be only available in black?

 

We'll keep a small inventory of new endplates in silver, so you're welcome to make a special request. Couldn't have called it Black Edition if we kept it silver, now could we?

Reply
post #600 of 692

John,  the all black is damn sexy. Do you have to add in the notes step in the order process to request the ferrite change for lower impedance headphones and such?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...