Oh, you will be having the combo which I really want to pair if I have a chance, is Dragonfly and C421 OPA2227. Waiting for your thought about the results when you pair with Sennheiser HD25-1 II and Westtone 4. Thanks a lot BobJS.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/26/12
- brandJDS Labstagged by System, 5/26/12
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/26/12
- productJDS Labs c421 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/26/12
- productJDS Labs CMoyBBtagged by System, 5/26/12
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 5/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- [Impression] JDS Labs C421 (OPA2227 vs. AD8620) featuring cmoyBB, O2, T5 and UHA-4. Last post on 6/16/14 at 5:28am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II Last post on 8/22/12 at 12:32pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need a good portable amp for my HD 650's Last post on 7/26/12 at 9:28pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp for HD 650 Last post on 7/14/12 at 6:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Portable amp for AKG 701 Quincy Adams: Last post on 6/15/12 at 12:04pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Great lil on-ear headphone but a lil bit uncomfortable on ear. Not for someone who loves heavy bass but good for seeking clarity ;) My opinion, my first AKG product. Tried the AKG Y50 but to me,...
In Ears Prophile 8 IEM review January 2017 Intro I had heard of In Ears but did not know too much about them until I see them on the In-Ear stand at the Indulgence show in London...
MrZ's Toneking Musicmaker TingThe review that swayed me to get on-boardhttp://www.head-fi.org/products/musicmaker-ting/reviews/15584The slightly down-line 1/2 price...
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live... - Page 38
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #557 of 6929/2/12 at 11:46pmHey guys, I recently just ordered a new pair of Terminator V4 headphones(Darth Beyers). Do you guys think they would sound good powered by a C421? I was thinking of getting the 2227 one. I would also get it with a matching odac. All these years I've only listened to music through my X-Fi sound card so I'm anxious to hear the difference.post #558 of 6929/3/12 at 6:06pm
Quote:Originally Posted by LoveKnight
Oh, really? Then C421s probably have more than enough power to drive my Sennheiser HD 598 without problems at all at low gain. I am saving money to buy C421 - OPA2227. However, I am considering which 3.5mm interconnect cable I should buy with C421 on JDSLabs website?
This one Fiio L2 http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=L2 or this one iSimple http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=ISVE913 . Which one is better? My DAC now is Fiio E10. Thanks for answer this question.
I got the L2, I didn't order the C421 yet though. I ordered the odac first and on my next check I'm ordering the C421(2227). Another really nice interconnect I saw online was this one: http://www.practicaldevices.com/cables.htm I may get it as well even though it's more expensive and just use the one I like more. I figured I'd post it because before I found this thread it was hard for me to find quality short mini to mini cables.
Edited by Slickman - 9/4/12 at 7:21ampost #559 of 6929/4/12 at 12:03am
Oh. There are not too many choices of choosing interconnections in my country so I am going to buy this interconnection. I think it is better than Fiio L2.
from this manufacture http://www.cryo-parts.com/index.php/hook-up-wire/cryoparts/the-wire-copperpost #560 of 6929/5/12 at 5:07am
I received my C421 OPA2227 with a little image engraved on it. The first impression of this amp is really good but I can not feel the true warmth on my HD598 maybe because of the Fiio E10 DAC I am using with now. Fiio E10s are , harsh, unclear, not smooth to my ears and now I really hate Fiio E10 and asked myself why I bought it (of course just because I wanted to save money).
Look like my ears like dark, warm sound sonic. Another problem is I found out my new combo makes most of my songs feel like the mid is far far away (and before that Fiio E10 + HD598 was like that too but worse now it is better). Next I will try other headphones such as HD650, Hifiman 400 or shure 1980 to tackle this issue or maybe I am going to buy other DAC/AMP such as AudioQuest Dragonfly.
Oh one more thing. Now my experience of watching movies is on a new level. I can hear the dialogues better, clearer, smoother and the sounds from objects are overall better too.
I am burning-in my little amp now. Hopefully the situation will be better and better.
Thanks JDSLABS for this little fantastic headphone amplifier. You are one of the best manufactures out there, keep going. Thanks again.
Edited by LoveKnight - 9/6/12 at 4:08ampost #561 of 6929/5/12 at 5:17amQuote:Originally Posted by LoveKnight
I received my C421 OPA2227 with a little image engraved on it. The first impression of this amp is really good but I can not feel the true warmth on my HD598 maybe because of the Fiio E10 DAC I am using with now. Fiio E10s are bright, harsh, unclear, not smooth to my ears and now I really hate Fiio E10 and asked myself why I bought it (of course just because I wanted to save money).
Fiio E10 bright? Are you sure it's not a fake E10 :Dpost #562 of 6929/5/12 at 5:33am
Yes, I was wrong, sorry. I should not have used the bright word. I am still just a newcomer in audio world , and of course I bought my Fiio E10 at a local shop near my house which is authorized by Fiio.
Edited by LoveKnight - 9/6/12 at 4:12ampost #563 of 6929/6/12 at 9:35ampost #564 of 6929/6/12 at 1:16pmpost #565 of 6929/6/12 at 4:11pmQuote:
John told me it has enough power for even the LCD-2. So don't take its diminutive size for lack of power. It's comparable to the O2 in terms of driving capability.post #566 of 6929/14/12 at 10:12pm
Has anyone had experience with sending the amp in so that the gain adjustment could be lowered? I just sent JDS an email, so I guess I'll soon find out what happens. I'm currently using the ES5 with the c421, and a lot of times I would like the volume to be a bit lower than the lowest I can get without going into channel imbalance territory.post #567 of 6929/15/12 at 4:00amQuote:Originally Posted by zeitfliesst
Has anyone had experience with sending the amp in so that the gain adjustment could be lowered? I just sent JDS an email, so I guess I'll soon find out what happens. I'm currently using the ES5 with the c421, and a lot of times I would like the volume to be a bit lower than the lowest I can get without going into channel imbalance territory.
I'd like that too. Please keep us postedpost #568 of 6929/15/12 at 2:37pm
Bad news. This is what JDS Labs said:Quote:
Mike, All c421 v1.01's have the lowest possible gain of 2.3x. These began shipping in March 2012, so gain is already at 2.3x for your unit. Gain below 2.0 is not feasible. The difference would also be audibly negligible. Additionally, the volume potentiometer taper is responsible for volume tracking, not the gain of the amplifier. Perhaps you can use a standard input cable with your ES5's, to reduce source volume? Sorry we can't help more!
It's a bit disappointing, but I guess I'll just have to bear with it. Anyone know what they mean by using a standard input cable? I already have my rockboxed ipod set to -16.0db pre-amp, so I can't further lower source volume. Any suggestions?post #569 of 6929/15/12 at 7:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by zeitfliesst
Bad news. This is what JDS Labs said:
It's a bit disappointing, but I guess I'll just have to bear with it. Anyone know what they mean by using a standard input cable? I already have my rockboxed ipod set to -16.0db pre-amp, so I can't further lower source volume. Any suggestions?
'Standard input cable' means you may have to resort to a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from the headphone jack of the iPod, if the LOD signal is too strong. Not an ideal solution--but it will give greater flexibility with high sensitivity IEM's.post #570 of 6929/16/12 at 2:58pmQuote:
Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I really do like the sound from the LOD so I might just as well stick with it, despite the volume issue.
- JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Ranking the stars - Flinkenick's Flagship 16 IEM shootout 18 seconds ago
- › Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software 37 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 37 seconds ago
- › Vape-Fi 43 seconds ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 47 seconds ago
- › Review: Final Audio Design Heaven VI 1 minute ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From... 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by SoundApprentice
- › AKG K403 by IkuMiku96
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by FortisFlyer75
- › MusicMaker Ting by Redcarmoose
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear