Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is Grado evolving too slowly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Grado evolving too slowly? - Page 15

post #211 of 261
Are Grado evolving fast enough ? Fast enough for who?
If it is managing to pay its bills and employees in this economical situation and have some left over then the answer is yes.
The SR60 blew my mind , i still remember playing baba orielly to a friend on them and he was a massive who fan, he was amazed, speechless even , it prompted him to upgrade his hifi.
post #212 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroid View Post

Are Grado evolving fast enough ? Fast enough for who?
If it is managing to pay its bills and employees in this economical situation and have some left over then the answer is yes.
The SR60 blew my mind , i still remember playing baba orielly to a friend on them and he was a massive who fan, he was amazed, speechless even , it prompted him to upgrade his hifi.

 

A buddy of mine who has been really struggling with finances the last few years is really into Jazz, particularly John Coltrane. I asked him if he would be interested in trying a pair of headphones that he could just plug right into his CD player in order to better enjoy his music. He's not into audio gear at all, and he basically said that he didn't think it would impact his enjoyment much at all, and pretty much tried to discourage me from sending him anything. I made a deal where if he decided that they would just end up sitting around and collecting dust, that he'd pass them along to a friend or family mbr that he thought would enjoy them. He agreed, so I had Amazon send a pair of SR60s to his house. The same day they were delivered, he called me in disbelief, saying that he had no idea that headphones could do that. I've known him for over 25 years, and it was probably the most excited I've ever heard him about anything lol. Needless to say, they aren't collecting any dust at all and his love of Jazz has been taken to a whole new level. 

 

It really made me feel good to enlighten my friend a bit, cause we all know how incredible music can sound even with lower end phones from some of the amazing companies that we discuss on a daily basis here on this site. I'm especially fond of Grado, and now my buddy is, as well. 

post #213 of 261
Imagine what would have happened if you had sent him some porta-pros or some other proper sounding entry level sennheisers wink.gif. Just pulling your leg, I actually don't follow this segment closely.

I guess there's a market for grado and for those who like it, why change anything as long as it works, regardless of the technology getting old. Grado is cattering to a specific clientele its house sound fits. They are also apparently happy to get by with the current sales figures, so it's easy to imagine they couldn't be bothered entering the rat race.
Edited by arnaud - 5/22/13 at 5:05am
post #214 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroid View Post

Are Grado evolving fast enough ? Fast enough for who?
If it is managing to pay its bills and employees in this economical situation and have some left over then the answer is yes.
The SR60 blew my mind , i still remember playing baba orielly to a friend on them and he was a massive who fan, he was amazed, speechless even , it prompted him to upgrade his hifi.

 

A buddy of mine who has been really struggling with finances the last few years is really into Jazz, particularly John Coltrane. I asked him if he would be interested in trying a pair of headphones that he could just plug right into his CD player in order to better enjoy his music. He's not into audio gear at all, and he basically said that he didn't think it would impact his enjoyment much at all, and pretty much tried to discourage me from sending him anything. I made a deal where if he decided that they would just end up sitting around and collecting dust, that he'd pass them along to a friend or family mbr that he thought would enjoy them. He agreed, so I had Amazon send a pair of SR60s to his house. The same day they were delivered, he called me in disbelief, saying that he had no idea that headphones could do that. I've known him for over 25 years, and it was probably the most excited I've ever heard him about anything lol. Needless to say, they aren't collecting any dust at all and his love of Jazz has been taken to a whole new level. 

 

It really made me feel good to enlighten my friend a bit, cause we all know how incredible music can sound even with lower end phones from some of the amazing companies that we discuss on a daily basis here on this site. I'm especially fond of Grado, and now my buddy is, as well. 

Good story!  You're a good guy.

post #215 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post

Imagine what would have happened if you had sent him some porta-pros or some other proper sounding entry level sennheisers wink.gif. Just pulling your leg, I actually don't follow this segment closely.

I guess there's a market for grado and for those who like it, why change anything as long as it works, regardless of the technology getting old. Grado is cattering to a specific clientele its house sound fits. They are also apparently happy to get by with the current sales figures, so it's easy to imagine they couldn't be bothered entering the rat race.

 

 

I had some entry level Sennheisers, the 518s, before any other headphone...I couldn't get rid of 'em fast enough wink.gif

post #216 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post

Good story!  You're a good guy.

Thanks man, appreciate that :)

 

I just wish I could get into Jazz as much as he does! It's the one genre that I really wish I could acquire a taste and appreciation for, but just doesn't seem to connect with me. I love using a good jazz recording for demo purposes and to evaluate speakers/headphones, but that's pretty much where it stops. 

post #217 of 261

I would not expect a whole lot of change from Grado for the following reasons

 

appearance.  this is almost like a trade mark.  no one else makes any thing that looks this way.  You can spot Grado's from a mile away and recognize them instantly

 

house sound.  Grado has this pretty much to themselves as well.  To spend funds trying to go into a different house sound would be to try to enter a crowded market.  This is a good way for a small company to go under. 

 

My other hobby is cycling.  For those who know what I mean I compare Grado to Brooks saddles.  For a small business it is important to know what you do well and try to have something unique as a product or service.  

post #218 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

A buddy of mine who has been really struggling with finances the last few years is really into Jazz, particularly John Coltrane. I asked him if he would be interested in trying a pair of headphones that he could just plug right into his CD player in order to better enjoy his music. He's not into audio gear at all, and he basically said that he didn't think it would impact his enjoyment much at all, and pretty much tried to discourage me from sending him anything. I made a deal where if he decided that they would just end up sitting around and collecting dust, that he'd pass them along to a friend or family mbr that he thought would enjoy them. He agreed, so I had Amazon send a pair of SR60s to his house. The same day they were delivered, he called me in disbelief, saying that he had no idea that headphones could do that. I've known him for over 25 years, and it was probably the most excited I've ever heard him about anything lol. Needless to say, they aren't collecting any dust at all and his love of Jazz has been taken to a whole new level. 

 

It really made me feel good to enlighten my friend a bit, cause we all know how incredible music can sound even with lower end phones from some of the amazing companies that we discuss on a daily basis here on this site. I'm especially fond of Grado, and now my buddy is, as well. 

 

What a generous, unselfish gesture, but somehow, coming from you, that doesn't surprise me that much,

 

I was called crazy, for paying a Vet bill for someone who's cat was sick, because i knew that she was having financial difficultys,

post #219 of 261

Also exceedingly kind.  Wonderful gesture.

post #220 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiti View Post

Also exceedingly kind.  Wonderful gesture.

 

Thanks!, but what can i say, i'm animal lover.

post #221 of 261

Trouble with the world today that there are too many self-centred people ready to rip-off their neighbour. Being generous or charitable has almost become a oxymoron in society.

 

Anyhow it looks like I'm going to go with the 225i's, what can I expect from these antiquated offerings? ;).

post #222 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

What a generous, unselfish gesture, but somehow, coming from you, that doesn't surprise me that much,

 

I was called crazy, for paying a Vet bill for someone who's cat was sick, because i knew that she was having financial difficultys,

 

Thanks brother...and as a fellow animal lover myself, I think that's anything but crazy to pay the vet bill for your friend...my dogs are like family to me, and if someone stepped up to help my dog when I was on hard times, it would mean the world to me, as I'm sure it did to your friend!

post #223 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble-Geezer View Post

Trouble with the world today that there are too many self-centred people ready to rip-off their neighbour. Being generous or charitable has almost become a oxymoron in society.

 

Anyhow it looks like I'm going to go with the 225i's, what can I expect from these antiquated offerings? ;).

 

So true...people attempting to take advantage of others is a far more common tale than those who reach out a helping hand...sad commentary on society! I grew up in the 70s and 80s and I just remember it being more the opposite...sad :(

post #224 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

Thanks brother...and as a fellow animal lover myself, I think that's anything but crazy to pay the vet bill for your friend...my dogs are like family to me, and if someone stepped up to help my dog when I was on hard times, it would mean the world to me, as I'm sure it did to your friend!

 

I know that we're off topic, so i'll find a way to slip in the word, music, in my postwink.gif

 

I've been called crazy many times, for deciding to treat my 11 year old cat, after he was diagnosed with diabetes, two and a half years ago, but 1800 insulin shots later, he's still going strong, well!, as strong as a 13 1/2 year old can anyway.

 

The things i am most passionate about, in life, are,

 

1) Animals

2) Musicwink.gif

3) Cars

4) T.V.

5) Reading

6) Internet

 

I guess this explains why i decided not to have my cat put down. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble-Geezer View Post

Trouble with the world today that there are too many self-centred people ready to rip-off their neighbour. Being generous or charitable has almost become a oxymoron in society.

 

Anyhow it looks like I'm going to go with the 225i's, what can I expect from these antiquated offerings? ;).

 

Welcome to the Dark Side, i have heard the SR225i briefly, and i was a while back, but i remember being very impessed by them, they are regarded by many as, THE sweet spot in the Grado line, so i guess that, you have chosen wisely. wink.gif

post #225 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

I know that we're off topic, so i'll find a way to slip in the word, music, in my postwink.gif

 

I've been called crazy many times, for deciding to treat my 11 year old cat, after he was diagnosed with diabetes, two and a half years ago, but 1800 insulin shots later, he's still going strong, well!, as strong as a 13 1/2 year old can anyway.

 

The things i am most passionate about, in life, are,

 

1) Animals

2) Musicwink.gif

3) Cars

4) T.V.

5) Reading

6) Internet

 

I guess this explains why i decided not to have my cat put down. 

 

 

 

 

I totally respect that, man...not everyone would have the patience or willingness to spend the extra time it takes to take care of pet with a disease process. For guys like you and me it would be a no-brainer, but too many people just give up on em. 

 

Do your cats leave your headphones alone for the most part? I can't remember if I showed you the pic from last year when my pup ate through one side of my T1 cable lol  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is Grado evolving too slowly?