You either love them to death, or despise them with the intensity of a thousand suns. I'm on the former, everything is just fine as is, but I would love a closed Grado.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAudezetagged by System, 10/10/11
- brandBeyerdynamictagged by System, 10/10/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 10/10/11
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 10/10/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/10/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/10/11
- productPhiaton PS 500 Premium Headphones With Studio Grade 40mm Titanium Drivers and Closed-Ear Type Rear Enclosure For Concert Hall Quality Soundtagged by System, 10/10/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 10/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Digital piano with Grado, Sennheiser, AKG or Beyerdynamic Last post on 2/24/14 at 6:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is there a "perfect" Headphone for the Genres Rock / Metal ? Last post on 6/2/13 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- I feel like I've missed a step, is it worth it to go back? Last post on 3/17/11 at 5:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full size cans for Metal? Last post on 9/6/10 at 3:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
I work with Trance music most ... Before The New released update 3.0 for the thing i wasn't really satisfied with its quality of sound in trance ...but the update Changed everything ,EVERYthing...
Is Grado evolving too slowly? - Page 13post #181 of 2255/16/13 at 10:02am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #182 of 2255/16/13 at 10:13am
Well, me too.
I want the same typical grado sound on a closed set, i stopped using the SR80 because of the sound leakage.post #183 of 2255/17/13 at 7:51pm
Evolving too slowly?, i personaly would've love for Grado to come out with an ''i'' version of my PS1000 6 months after i just forked out $1700 for a new pair.
A few people are saying that Grado should bring back discontinued models, well, i can name a few models that seem to be sorely missed by many, and they're not from Grado, i just read a few comments on this subject, in David Mahler's flagship review thread.
Not counting the Stax 009 (too expensive), the only other headphones that i might consider buying to replace my PS1000, are the LCD3.
Regarding, the Grado hate threads, i think that they're are a lot more of them than when it comes to any other brand, well, maybe one. The way i see it, they're is a difference between preferring another brand, to Grados, and just hating on them.
As i have said before, i'm a Grado fan, but i'm not a fanboy, the difference being that i can appreciate the fact that other brands can make very good sounding headphones too. .post #184 of 2255/18/13 at 12:11amQuote:
Amen...Grados are my favorite headphone line, and I could happily live with even just my SR80s if I were limited in terms of budget, but it's so much more fun to have a few other nice phones in the mix, too.
As for Grado being left behind, I often compare them to Magnepan. Both small American companies with solid heritage, who aren't rushing all sorts of new products to market every six months. The Magnepan planar magnetic technology hasn't changed drastically over the last 30 years, yet their speakers are still to this day considered some of the best on the planet at a given price point. I could never see myself without Maggies, just as I could never be without Grados.
People are gonna hate no matter what...it has no bearing on where I spend my money, and I'm certain I'll have many more Grado purchases in my future.post #185 of 2255/18/13 at 3:03am
The one area where grado lags significantly is in the area of ergonomics and comfort. Their igrado in particular is an utter abomination in this area, but the 60i's are regularly lambasted for their apparent lack of comfort (on amazon in particular).
I have little interest in a closed design from gradolabs; there are tons of other options from other brands in that regard. What I would love to see, and be utterly grateful for, is a pair of grado's which offered up top notch comfort to match their superb sound quality.post #186 of 2255/18/13 at 4:37ampost #187 of 2255/18/13 at 8:20am
Grado was my first step into quality headphones, and they will always be special to me -- i however left grado because i prefer an "over the ear" design in the sub $300 region. I would also like a bit more bass too, I would agree that they need some new models / designs.
Edited by buttons252 - 5/18/13 at 8:23ampost #188 of 2255/18/13 at 9:50ampost #189 of 2255/18/13 at 10:02amQuote:
Depending wich type of sound you are looking for, i'd say PS500, or RS1i.post #190 of 2255/18/13 at 10:55ampost #191 of 2255/18/13 at 12:14pm
Thanks for that, how do the RS2l &225l fair compared to the models mentioned.
My music preferences classic rock & soul, a bit of blue-grass, jazz, blues, nothing too strenuous in truth.post #192 of 2255/18/13 at 1:40pmQuote:
I listen to about the same stuff you do and I have the 225i and it is tremendous for that type of music, but having said that, one day I would really like to get some RS1i phones as I think they would encompass much the same sound only better in nearly all respects.post #193 of 2255/18/13 at 1:58pmQuote:
Yep. Love mine, but I also would like a closed Grado for (a) isolation and (b) some decent sub bass extension. Probably the only reason we haven't seen that is that the drivers may not perform well in closed enclosures.post #194 of 2255/18/13 at 3:04pmQuote:
the SR 60, the 225, or the RS-2post #195 of 2255/19/13 at 8:36amQuote:Originally Posted by Focker
As for Grado being left behind, I often compare them to Magnepan. Both small American companies with solid heritage, who aren't rushing all sorts of new products to market every six months. The Magnepan planar magnetic technology hasn't changed drastically over the last 30 years, yet their speakers are still to this day considered some of the best on the planet at a given price point.
Except Magnepan is continuing to aggressively innovate. Leaving aside new products such as the MMG, Magnapan has continued to move its products forward with inmpressive improvements. Compare, for example, the near perfect integration of the ribbon and the planar-magnetic drivers of the 3.7 v. the older 3.6.
Grado is not advancing its products in the same fashion. It may not need to however as many are delighted with their offerings as they currently exist.
- Is Grado evolving too slowly?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp 10 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 41 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 44 seconds ago
- › The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread 2 minutes ago
- › -The Discovery of the New Ivery IS-1 (or Liberty 1’s) -Believe the... 2 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier #11567 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Good headphones under $ 150, need your opinion! 3 minutes ago
- › Tekfusion® Twinwoofers® In-Ear Headphones - Reviewers Needed! 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Xyrium
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)