Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is Grado evolving too slowly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Grado evolving too slowly? - Page 8

post #106 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick01 View Post

That's why you need to get a pair of GS1000i asap  biggrin.gif

 



Haha so true Nick!!

 

Actually, I'm not sure if I told you but Nik at Audiophile sold out pretty fast of the GS1000i ~ he has one, lonely

PS-1000 sitting around. So tempting! Mustn't given the cost but oh so tempting.

post #107 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmi View Post

Another observation :-

 

John Grado runs a family business, any research on the guy reveals him to be a family guy - hence he is not interested in audio

world domination, just enough to continue paying the bills and living the lifestyle that he chooses. He does not need to set the

world on fire to achieve this.

 

Try telling that to a large multinational like Sennheiser or Beyer Dynamic who's mantra is in theory - to strive for unlimited sales.



I'm pretty sure it requires a solid product to even be able to conduct high sales.

 

Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic both probably started out small just like grado did, and expanded because sales demanded them to expand. 

 

Once they mastered their craft, of COURSE they became a larger company. They made their products more accessible for the abroad, because demand encouraged them to.

 

And who wouldn't?

 

Your customers wont stay satisfied because they wan't to see the products progress, which is why complaint threads like this even start

 

Just because your company is succeeding doesn't mean your products need to take dings in quality and be replaced with sub-standard materials and quality.

 

High demand requires high production which by deductive reasoning turns in to high company employment. 

 

Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic's products have always been reliable and made high quality products.

 

And to be honest, before i joined Head-Fi, I had never seen a Sennheiser ad (only heard of it by word of mouth a few times) and i had NEVER heard of beyerdynamic before in my life.

 

I love grado's products and i support whatever they choose to do, but you cant say Sennheiser or Beyer are greedy eyed criminals for expanding themselves and making their products more widely available. 

 

This is the real world.


Edited by Vonx - 10/14/11 at 8:41pm
post #108 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonx View Post

I'm pretty sure it requires a solid product to even be able to conduct high sales.

 

Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic both probably started out small just like grado did, and expanded because sales demanded them to expand. 

 

Once they mastered their craft, of COURSE they became a larger company. They made their products more accessible for the abroad, because demand encouraged them to.

 

And who wouldn't?

 

 


Who?

 

John Grado that's who. He's simply not interested, you've more or less just validated what I've just said. Expansion,

growth and striving towards ever greater sales.

 

Do you think John is interested in expanding production so far that he has to expand offshore to China to produce

the SR60/80/125/225/325 line because it is no longer feasible to make them by hand?

 

Just ask Sennheiser though if they can still bring any 4xx series to market by making them in even in Ireland,

can't happen, unless you're prepared to start paying $150USD for a Senn HD438 (now that's what I call shocking value!)

 

John enjoys his line of work and is an artisan like other members in the family, especially Joe ~ expansion would mean

bringing in investors and setting up a board just like Beyer, Sennheiser, Audio Technica and Ultrasone - It is no longer

about practicing a craft and making an honest living at that point ~ It's all about market share.

 

I'll leave you with this ~ don't you think anyone with half a brain in the audio world has not thought of approaching to buy

out or invest in Grado? Hardly an original idea eh?

 

That's because he said no.

 

Beyer and Sennheiser are corporations - Grado is a craft shop.

 

If that means they're 'greedy eyed criminals' as you say and it keeps you up at night. Deal with it.

 

This is the real world.

 


Edited by Gwarmi - 10/15/11 at 12:45am
post #109 of 225

Comparing Grado Labs with the other international audio companies is like comparing apples to a durian.  The international names has a huge list of none headphone/IEM products and ones that span across different industry sectors. Hell, I was tickled pink when Grado came out with their own line of IEM (Gigli, GR8, GR10).  Kudos to John for balancing what's really important in life and staying focused. 

 

It seems that some members lost appreciation against Grado and John for as far as headphones go, when the HF1 and HF2 was available, I don't recall another manufacturer doing the same thing (yes, Meier gave us amps). John is a focused man, he still stands behind his motto, "If you don't like it, don't buy it".

 

And if I made a line of products that basically saved a small company from folding, and brought the Grado sound to the masses (SR60), you bet I would controlling and very protective of their distribution and pricing.  It was a very smart move as I'm sure the majority of folks (general mass) would prefer to listen to a more musical and colored can over the neutral wonders created by Joe.  However, I agree with others that it would be nice for John to created something with Joe's signature or similar to it, but from a business point of view, providing enough to satisfy the very small population could jeopardize the whole operation.  You either sell large volumes at a perceived discount rate, or small volumes and charge extremely high to break even and gain some revenue.


Edited by alphaphoenix - 10/14/11 at 10:13pm
post #110 of 225

I don't understand why he can't give a case. Is it really that difficult of a demand that he'd have to sacrifice his family life to seek out cases for headphones that barely have any turnover?

post #111 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

I don't understand why he can't give a case. Is it really that difficult of a demand that he'd have to sacrifice his family life to seek out cases for headphones that barely have any turnover?


 

Exactly, especially if they are "craft shop".

post #112 of 225

He should make it an option with the GS1000i or PS-1000

 

Take the 15ft extension and step down adapter (current offering) or take some sort of storage case.

 

Either one. Customer chooses.

post #113 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmi View Post

Who?

 

John Grado that's who. He's simply not interested, you've more or less just validated what I've just said. Expansion,

growth and striving towards ever greater sales.

 

Do you think John is interested in expanding production so far that he has to expand offshore to China to produce

the SR60/80/125/225/325 line because it is no longer feasible to make them by hand?

 

Just ask Sennheiser though if they can still bring any 4xx series to market by making them in even in Ireland,

can't happen, unless you're prepared to start paying $150USD for a Senn HD438 (now that's what I call shocking value!)

 

John enjoys his line of work and is an artisan like other members in the family, especially Joe ~ expansion would mean

bringing in investors and setting up a board just like Beyer, Sennheiser, Audio Technica and Ultrasone - It is no longer

about practicing a craft and making an honest living at that point ~ It's all about market share.

 

I'll leave you with this ~ don't you think anyone with half a brain in the audio world has not thought of approaching to buy

out or invest in Grado? Hardly an original idea eh?

 

That's because he said no.

 

Beyer and Sennheiser are corporations - Grado is a craft shop.

 

If that means they're 'greedy eyed criminals' as you say and it keeps you up at night. Deal with it.

 

This is the real world.

 


Lol, keeping me up at night? I dont mind corporations one bit, because I understand why they exist, and respect the business philosophy :)

 

I personally think your too busy worrying about why grass exists rather than what your going to do on top of it.

 

Remember when you first came here and wanted to buy a new pair of headphones because you thought it would enhance your ability to enjoy music?

 

My hunch makes me think you forgot that effort altogether and you'd rather find the most off-beat village with only 9 local residents that use residue from their sweat glands to laminate slowly cured wood through 16 phases and bake it in the fires of mordor for six centuries to buy a headphone that sounds no better than one made in 6 minutes by a laborer in china.

 

Maybe you should sort out your priorities, I guess is what i'm saying.

 

I personally find it hilarious that you give that much of a hoot, but if it makes you feel tingly and warm inside to know how its made, than to each man his own.

 

Although I feel that has very little to due with why you seeked high fidelity sound in the first place.

 

You originally bought them for sound qualities, maybe you should focus more on that effort

 

 

juuuuuuust my opinion :D

 

 


Edited by Vonx - 10/15/11 at 1:52am
post #114 of 225

There are wooden cases and there are wooden cases.  Take a look at the old light weight RS1 box compared to the chunky newer ones:

rs1cases.jpgrs1cases2.jpg

 

The newer one (now discontinued) weighs a ton and is huge, almost as hideous as the LCD2 shinny wooden box. Does anybody use them? I look at everyone's profile and can safely assume that a lot of us have more than one or two pairs of headphones. Can you imagine stacking just two or three of these boxes on your desk? I guess no one does that. So the wooden boxes have to go somewhere else. Let's say you have a few pair of headphones that come with these huge wooden boxes, you would need to  find some serious storage space for them and take your phones in and out.. That's fun.

How about that big ugly travel case for  LCD2? You want to carry that around?

I actually don't think the light weight Grado pizza boxes are that bad and don't mind the wooden boxes being an extra option (and would rather have the extension cable and adapter instead).

Think about the wonderfully constructed HP1000- they came with a nasty thin cardboard box with blue foam that would disintegrate overtime and damage your headphones. The white thick pizza box is actually an improvement. :-)

 

HP-2Box2.jpg

 

All I am trying to say is that a wooden box is nice but is it really that big a deal?

post #115 of 225

Well OK. But the prettier wood of the semi-vintage era is a big deal though. redface.gif

post #116 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post

There are wooden cases and there are wooden cases.  Take a look at the old light weight RS1 box compared to the chunky newer ones:

rs1cases.jpgrs1cases2.jpg

 

The newer one (now discontinued) weighs a ton and is huge, almost as hideous as the LCD2 shinny wooden box. Does anybody use them? I look at everyone's profile and can safely assume that a lot of us have more than one or two pairs of headphones. Can you imagine stacking just two or three of these boxes on your desk? I guess no one does that. So the wooden boxes have to go somewhere else. Let's say you have a few pair of headphones that come with these huge wooden boxes, you would need to  find some serious storage space for them and take your phones in and out.. That's fun.

How about that big ugly travel case for  LCD2? You want to carry that around?

I actually don't think the light weight Grado pizza boxes are that bad and don't mind the wooden boxes being an extra option (and would rather have the extension cable and adapter instead).

Think about the wonderfully constructed HP1000- they came with a nasty thin cardboard box with blue foam that would disintegrate overtime and damage your headphones. The white thick pizza box is actually an improvement. :-)

 

HP-2Box2.jpg

 

All I am trying to say is that a wooden box is nice but is it really that big a deal?


Honestly, those wooden boxes are bad a**. THAT is how I think high end Grado headphones should be presented. THAT looks like a product made by a family doing what they love for music lovers listening to what they love. So what do they decide to present them with? Pathetic paper in the form of the cheapest design possible. Careful not to rip it. I'm surprised if it wasn't recycled. If that's really all what Grado thinks they deserve, then I really shouldn't care about them either. Even I think they deserve more. They don't HAVE to have to best R&D in the world, but they don't even act like they give a dam.

post #117 of 225

 

@Vonx

 

 I already had my Grados a long time before I came here in the first place.

 

 Well, you certainly have strong non sensical opinions for a guy who has

 such low end gear.

 

 

post #118 of 225

The paperbox is extremely functional. And those who keep whining have missed the point. They only want the wooden box so that they can show it off to their friends: "ooohhh....mine came in a wooden case!!! ooohhh" ....how lame!!!

I can put my PS1000 into the box made from "pathetic paper in the form of the cheapest design possible", and toss it the trunk of my car, or my suitcase and take it flights after flights around the world. Why don't you try doing the same with the Denon D7000, HD800 or LCD2?

 

post #119 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

They're not evolving. They've only been getting worse and their best products aren't better than an AKG K701.

 

hahaha....are you even serious?

 

Oh....you are...

 

I never understood the expression "a lone voice in the wilderness"...until now.


Edited by Nick01 - 10/15/11 at 6:26am
post #120 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post

The name " Prestige Series" makes me laugh sometimes.


When my very first Grado arrived at my office (a SR80i), all my friends were shocked at how cheap & ugly the box and the headphones look, and they said the same thing you did "how can they call this product prestige?"  biggrin.gif

Even though my friends are vain and shallow and only judge things by their looks....I still love them (both friends and headphones)

 

Now one guy who dissed the box is borrowing my pair of vintage SR60. I don't think I'll ever see it again.


Edited by Nick01 - 10/15/11 at 4:55am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is Grado evolving too slowly?