I get the feeling they are being left behind especially in the high end products category. They have not had an answer to the top end products from Sennheiser, Audeze, and Beyerdynamic.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandBeyerdynamictagged by System, 10/10/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 10/10/11
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 10/10/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/10/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/10/11
- productPhiaton PS 500 Premium Headphones With Studio Grade 40mm Titanium Drivers and Closed-Ear Type Rear Enclosure For Concert Hall Quality Soundtagged by System, 10/10/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 10/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Digital piano with Grado, Sennheiser, AKG or Beyerdynamic Last post on 2/24/14 at 6:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is there a "perfect" Headphone for the Genres Rock / Metal ? Last post on 6/2/13 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- I feel like I've missed a step, is it worth it to go back? Last post on 3/17/11 at 5:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full size cans for Metal? Last post on 9/6/10 at 3:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Design/durability: Stellar build quality is one of the highlights of the Rockets. Pretty much every feature of it seems indestructible. The L-shaped jack seems very sturdy and has enough strain...
Hi guys, I'm surprised this little gizmo isn't more discussed here on head-fi and I happen to be having a lot of fun with it so I figured a brief review in order to build a discussion here would...
I've been listening with K-10 Customs a year now. Because of the almost total isolation I only use them when flying. They are the best sounding IEM I've ever encountered. IMO, they are really as...
Somic v2 Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to GearBest for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/809323/somic-v2-headphone-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Somic, the...
Disclaimer: I received this Jays q-Jays as part of the Australian/New Zealand tour that DJScope arranged. This is my honest opinion of the Jays q-Jays, and I am in no way affiliated with or work...
Is Grado evolving too slowly?post #1 of 26110/10/11 at 2:10pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 26110/10/11 at 2:14pmQuote:
I guess that's a relative viewpoint.
I for one don't want hifi to ever become a 6 month release cycle like apple would make it if they controlled that market.
I think Grado is fine. People who want a Grado get a Grado. I'd wager Grado has more market than Audeze does if you think about it. You don't need a super high end in the spot light that is new to keep a good market.
Very best,post #3 of 26110/10/11 at 2:29pm
I think they're evolving for the worst sound quality wise. Quality went down and the headphones they have in production now aren't as nice sounding as when they produced them 15 years ago. Why can't they bring back the the PS-1, or the SR/RS series with pink transition sounding drivers? Those sounded really good and I wish I hadn't sold mine a while back. I had high hopes when they first released the PS-1000 but it turned out to be a huge disappointment. I think I'll pass on the newly released PS500.post #4 of 26110/10/11 at 2:37pm
You are correct sir.post #5 of 26110/10/11 at 2:41pmpost #6 of 26110/10/11 at 3:09pmQuote:
I hope this isn't going to turn into yet another Grado hater thread but it sure does look like it.
I have Q701 and I prefer to listen to 325is w/ G-Cush. Just IMO.
post #7 of 26110/10/11 at 3:12pmQuote:
It's not that it's a hater thread. One merely expresses an opinion.
I love my Grados and enjoyed them a lot. That said, they are of the vintage variety. The last good modern Grado I heard was the HF-1.post #8 of 26110/10/11 at 3:13pmpost #9 of 26110/10/11 at 3:17pmQuote:
Don't get me wrong, I like the RS1s and I own HF2s (the HP1000s I have don't count.) But in terms of evolving slowly, that's giving them too much credit. I don't think they are evolving at all. The driver technology, the cups, and even the tuning of the FR (with two minor exceptions), have been more or less the same for some time now.
Edited by purrin - 10/10/11 at 3:18pmpost #10 of 26110/10/11 at 3:17pm
every grado thread on here aside forum the mod threads are a grado hate thread. here's a thought, don't like them? don't buy them.post #11 of 26110/10/11 at 3:29pm
Dunno about evolving too slowly since "retro" is apparently making a come back. Who knows... Maybe hipsters will start wearing them because they are "vintage?" (Despite not being vintage...) Personally I don't think there is a such thing as evolving too slowly in the audio world. This field usually does need a effort to be put in order for a headphone to sound good. Grado has a good thing going with a small, yet very vocal crowd behind them.post #12 of 26110/10/11 at 3:32pm
Given the business success they and even just buzz and interest here for the PS500s, I think it is hard to make the case they are not evolving fast enough. And you also have a new line of IEMs that is well regarded. They are doing fine.post #13 of 26110/10/11 at 3:48pm
It would certainly be nice if they pushed the technology a bit more on their flagships, or introduced a new high-end headphone that was more advanced, but I wouldn't touch their current line-up too much - it's just nice as it is. I'd be a bit gutted if they changed the RS1 so it sounded significantly different to how it is now, simply for the sake of progress. It's not perfect by any measure, but it is certainly charming - something my other headphones lack. However, if they could improve the comfort without touching the sound, I wouldn't complain!post #14 of 26110/10/11 at 3:55pm
Exactly ~ they offer one of the most unique, polarized listening experiences on the market.
As a consequence they have a fierce loyal crowd and a nice mob of haters and detractors who
cannot deal with the less than savvy attempts at modern packaging and finish quality.
If it is not broken then don't fix it.
Another point of view rarely offered on here is that the cartridge division is also probably
still responsible for subsidizing the headphone side of things. Business was poor back
in the early 1990's but the revival of vinyl has probably ensured that they can continue
to make both products for the community.post #15 of 26110/10/11 at 3:58pm
Grados are nice, particularly as an entry into Head-fi, but I wouldn't recommend spending more than a couple hundred of bucks on a Grado headphone. I like the GS1000i, but for the price, a used HD800 is much better.
Not going to comment on the LCD-2
- Is Grado evolving too slowly?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Pioneer's First Portable Amp XPA-700 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio WA2 and WA22 Comparisons...finally finished...whew. 2 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs CIEMS? 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 5 minutes ago
- › Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread 6 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 6 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Noble Audio Kaiser K10UA universal aluminum by Saraguie
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Meze 99 Classics by joeq70
- › Edifier P185 Headphones Hi-Fi Classic Earbud Style Earphones With... by flamerz
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by TravAndAlex
- › SoundMAGIC ES18 In-Ear Headphones (Black/Red) by OSiRiSsk
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...