I get the feeling they are being left behind especially in the high end products category. They have not had an answer to the top end products from Sennheiser, Audeze, and Beyerdynamic.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandBeyerdynamictagged by System, 10/10/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 10/10/11
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 10/10/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/10/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/10/11
- productPhiaton PS 500 Premium Headphones With Studio Grade 40mm Titanium Drivers and Closed-Ear Type Rear Enclosure For Concert Hall Quality Soundtagged by System, 10/10/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 10/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Digital piano with Grado, Sennheiser, AKG or Beyerdynamic Last post on 2/24/14 at 6:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is there a "perfect" Headphone for the Genres Rock / Metal ? Last post on 6/2/13 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- I feel like I've missed a step, is it worth it to go back? Last post on 3/17/11 at 5:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full size cans for Metal? Last post on 9/6/10 at 3:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/21/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is a review of the Burson Audio Cable+ RCA to RCA active cable. The Burson Audio Cable+ was sent to me by Burson Audio for me as a loaner unit to test it out, thanks to Burson Audio for...
Most people balk at spending more than $20 on a pair of headphones, given the disposable history of a typical portable consumer headphones for the past 35 years. Music lovers who do invest in a...
It’s Black Friday, and what’s more black than to buy a good pair of headphones for your favorite rocker or metalhead. Today the headphone audiophile community is buzzing about what may become a...
The evolution of headphones has been fascinating to watch over the years. Pretty much everyone aged 50 and younger has grown up using headphones, and have owned many, many pairs. Some may remember...
Acknowledgment Thanks 1MORE UK for providing this review sample in return for my honest opinion.IntroductionI heard about 1MORE from a fellow HeadFier, @canali, who told me I should check out the...
Is Grado evolving too slowly?post #1 of 26110/10/11 at 2:10pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 26110/10/11 at 2:14pmQuote:
I guess that's a relative viewpoint.
I for one don't want hifi to ever become a 6 month release cycle like apple would make it if they controlled that market.
I think Grado is fine. People who want a Grado get a Grado. I'd wager Grado has more market than Audeze does if you think about it. You don't need a super high end in the spot light that is new to keep a good market.
Very best,post #3 of 26110/10/11 at 2:29pm
I think they're evolving for the worst sound quality wise. Quality went down and the headphones they have in production now aren't as nice sounding as when they produced them 15 years ago. Why can't they bring back the the PS-1, or the SR/RS series with pink transition sounding drivers? Those sounded really good and I wish I hadn't sold mine a while back. I had high hopes when they first released the PS-1000 but it turned out to be a huge disappointment. I think I'll pass on the newly released PS500.post #4 of 26110/10/11 at 2:37pm
You are correct sir.post #5 of 26110/10/11 at 2:41pmpost #6 of 26110/10/11 at 3:09pmQuote:
I hope this isn't going to turn into yet another Grado hater thread but it sure does look like it.
I have Q701 and I prefer to listen to 325is w/ G-Cush. Just IMO.
post #7 of 26110/10/11 at 3:12pmQuote:
It's not that it's a hater thread. One merely expresses an opinion.
I love my Grados and enjoyed them a lot. That said, they are of the vintage variety. The last good modern Grado I heard was the HF-1.post #8 of 26110/10/11 at 3:13pmpost #9 of 26110/10/11 at 3:17pmQuote:
Don't get me wrong, I like the RS1s and I own HF2s (the HP1000s I have don't count.) But in terms of evolving slowly, that's giving them too much credit. I don't think they are evolving at all. The driver technology, the cups, and even the tuning of the FR (with two minor exceptions), have been more or less the same for some time now.
Edited by purrin - 10/10/11 at 3:18pmpost #10 of 26110/10/11 at 3:17pm
every grado thread on here aside forum the mod threads are a grado hate thread. here's a thought, don't like them? don't buy them.post #11 of 26110/10/11 at 3:29pm
Dunno about evolving too slowly since "retro" is apparently making a come back. Who knows... Maybe hipsters will start wearing them because they are "vintage?" (Despite not being vintage...) Personally I don't think there is a such thing as evolving too slowly in the audio world. This field usually does need a effort to be put in order for a headphone to sound good. Grado has a good thing going with a small, yet very vocal crowd behind them.post #12 of 26110/10/11 at 3:32pm
Given the business success they and even just buzz and interest here for the PS500s, I think it is hard to make the case they are not evolving fast enough. And you also have a new line of IEMs that is well regarded. They are doing fine.post #13 of 26110/10/11 at 3:48pm
It would certainly be nice if they pushed the technology a bit more on their flagships, or introduced a new high-end headphone that was more advanced, but I wouldn't touch their current line-up too much - it's just nice as it is. I'd be a bit gutted if they changed the RS1 so it sounded significantly different to how it is now, simply for the sake of progress. It's not perfect by any measure, but it is certainly charming - something my other headphones lack. However, if they could improve the comfort without touching the sound, I wouldn't complain!post #14 of 26110/10/11 at 3:55pm
Exactly ~ they offer one of the most unique, polarized listening experiences on the market.
As a consequence they have a fierce loyal crowd and a nice mob of haters and detractors who
cannot deal with the less than savvy attempts at modern packaging and finish quality.
If it is not broken then don't fix it.
Another point of view rarely offered on here is that the cartridge division is also probably
still responsible for subsidizing the headphone side of things. Business was poor back
in the early 1990's but the revival of vinyl has probably ensured that they can continue
to make both products for the community.post #15 of 26110/10/11 at 3:58pm
Grados are nice, particularly as an entry into Head-fi, but I wouldn't recommend spending more than a couple hundred of bucks on a Grado headphone. I like the GS1000i, but for the price, a used HD800 is much better.
Not going to comment on the LCD-2
- Is Grado evolving too slowly?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier 20 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1 vs FiiO Q1? 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 2 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 4 minutes ago
- › Headphones and DAC+AMP for Rock/Alternative 4 minutes ago
- › Mobile Fidelity UHQR vinyl recordings 4 minutes ago
- › Classical music discussion, what do you like? 4 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by peter123
- › BeyerDynamic DT 1990 PRO 250 Ohm Open Studio Headphones (710490) by Fastnbulbous
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by Fastnbulbous
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Fastnbulbous
- › 1MORE MK801 Over-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and Remote... by glassmonkey
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by zamroni
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless by Rafique Adzam
- › Mcdodo Lightning to Audio Cable (for iPhone 7) w/ charging function by Webkarma
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › TFZ Series 1 by pinoyman
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...