Just got my new computer. It has the gigabyte sniper 2 board, which comes with thecreative x-fi/EAX 5.0 dedicated on board. The question is what would be a decent soundcard/DAC + amp combination for my HD650. I heard something about the NFB-12, is that good enough to drive the HD650 and what soundcard/DAC should I get for it. Any other thoughts? Let's say budget will be under $300, but if anything that would show significant improvement in the sub $500 range, I will consider it as well.
- brandAsustagged by System, 10/10/11
- productASUS Xonar Essence Onetagged by System, 10/10/11
- productASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophilestagged by System, 10/10/11
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by System, 10/10/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 10/10/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 10/10/11
- productSennheiser/HR Balanced Stock HD650 Cabletagged by System, 10/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Is the Asus Xonar Essence STX and Sennheiser HD650 a good combo? Last post on 7/15/14 at 4:25pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiman HE-400 DAC/AMP combo? Last post on 6/10/13 at 7:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need alternatives for my HD650! Last post on 11/4/12 at 10:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio newbie in need of some help Last post on 10/31/12 at 8:41am in Computer Audio
- Best soundcard Last post on 11/3/12 at 8:37am in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/10/14
Bought them today for 20€ to use them till i get the bose mie2i and try out how this type of headphone would be like. the sound is okay to watch dvds on you notebook but just muddy if you want...
Bought these when being on vacation the past weeks, since "argl" I missed to pack my in-ears and thought, ok, for 2 weeks on the beach, let's pick the first ones I came across. What I learned now,...
I've owned the Sennheiser Momentum for about a year now. Though it is aesthetically pleasing, and very sturdy overall, I can honestly say that it isn't worth the $300. I enjoyed the mids, which...
Not quite a review but thought I'd quote my recent observations. Quote: Originally Posted by Rob80b Well the K712s showed up, just doing some preliminary comparison with my K701s with the...
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
DAC/Amp for HD650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
If you mean the Asus Essence ST/STX, it is ideally suited to driving the HD650s - the onboard headphone amp performs admirably into high impedance headphones such as the Sennheisers, whilst the DAC it includes is also of the very highest quality. Much better idea than something from AudioGd IMHO.
If you're looking for just a separate amp (no DAC) the Fiio E9 uses the same headphone amplifier chip as the Essence (TPA6120) and also performs superbly driving the HD650s.
I had posted this in a sperate thread, thought Id consolidate.
"As the subject line says, I am looking for the best marriage for my HD 650's.
My headphones are used with my PC. I have an Essence STX and HeadAmp4 currently. However I am under the impression there is much more I could squeeze out of my 650's. If you had $250 to spend on the problem, where would you spend your money. I was considering the Maverick D1 http://www.mav-audio.com/store/index.php/tube-magic-dac-d1.html, but I wanted to consult Head-Fi before I took that leap.
So what i am gathering Willakan is that there isn't much improvment I could get since I have the STX?
For $250? Save your money, stick with your card. Maybe in the future get a pre-built Objective2 amp, but that would be most useful for you with low impedance headphones.
I'm in agreement with Willakan. I've not heard of a better product in the price range (objectively anyway) than the Essence STX, especially for high impedance headphones.
I thought I read somewhere the ST has better driver than STX, or does that not justify the high/low impedance issue? So, you guys are saying the e7 e9 combo is good enoug to drive the hd650? Not like I won't take your words for it, but I just want to hear more inputs. Thanks :)
i'm selling a pro-ject headbox se ii right now, works great with the 650s and drives them really well, bass is strong, details are nice, and they get loud enough to cause hearing damage. when i bought them, the box even had hd 650s in the pic lol
If it's 50 bucks I'll try it lol given it works XD
I currently have HD650 with E7/E9 combo, and I was simply blown away (FYI HD650 was my first "audiophile phone," so there could be some heavy bias).
Also, is it true that there are supposedly "silent upgrades" done on "old" HD650 to remove the veil on "newer" HD650?
Thank you guys for the replies! I bought the Asus Essence ST and HT Omega Calro Halo and tried out both with my HD650. In the end, I returned the ST and kept the Claro Halo. For the Claro Halo's sound being more full and fun and the better connection to my onkyo 609 receiver.
- DAC/Amp for HD650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 17 seconds ago
- › Double Helix Cables Appreciation Thread 30 seconds ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 1 minute ago
- › Shaving, gents 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x,... 2 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 2 minutes ago
- › Getting back in the game 3 minutes ago
- › 2 days in Tokyo - looking for HighEnd HiFi shops 3 minutes ago
- › Philips SHB7000 surprised me today! 3 minutes ago
- › Westone W60 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › AKG K712 Pro by Rob80b
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)