Just got my new computer. It has the gigabyte sniper 2 board, which comes with thecreative x-fi/EAX 5.0 dedicated on board. The question is what would be a decent soundcard/DAC + amp combination for my HD650. I heard something about the NFB-12, is that good enough to drive the HD650 and what soundcard/DAC should I get for it. Any other thoughts? Let's say budget will be under $300, but if anything that would show significant improvement in the sub $500 range, I will consider it as well.
- brandAsustagged by System, 10/10/11
- productASUS Xonar Essence Onetagged by System, 10/10/11
- productASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophilestagged by System, 10/10/11
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by System, 10/10/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 10/10/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 10/10/11
- productSennheiser/HR Balanced Stock HD650 Cabletagged by System, 10/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Is the Asus Xonar Essence STX and Sennheiser HD650 a good combo? Last post on 11/24/13 at 7:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiman HE-400 DAC/AMP combo? Last post on 6/10/13 at 7:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need alternatives for my HD650! Last post on 11/4/12 at 10:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio newbie in need of some help Last post on 10/31/12 at 8:41am in Computer Audio
- Best soundcard Last post on 11/3/12 at 8:37am in Computer Audio
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: Today
DISCLAIMER This review is based on the demo set at Jaben Singapore, which I have demoed extensively no less than 3 times. Though fit is pretty good, but as perfect fit is not achieved, I shall...
Sound Quality Straight out of the box, it sounded great, pretty much like the original CAL!. I’ve done over 100 hours of burn-in. DAC is FiiO E10. As I mentioned in one of the posts, it reminded...
The smallest, toughest, yet great sounding player you can buy. Though that really depends on your luck, but it can be found for as low as 20 euros on eBay, other classifieds, or your local...
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > M-Audio Q40. There isn't much I have to add to other...
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > SR950. The SR950s are fairly detailed headphones possessing a...
DAC/Amp for HD650post #1 of 1310/10/11 at 8:51amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1310/10/11 at 8:53amThread Starterpost #3 of 1310/10/11 at 9:45am
If you mean the Asus Essence ST/STX, it is ideally suited to driving the HD650s - the onboard headphone amp performs admirably into high impedance headphones such as the Sennheisers, whilst the DAC it includes is also of the very highest quality. Much better idea than something from AudioGd IMHO.
If you're looking for just a separate amp (no DAC) the Fiio E9 uses the same headphone amplifier chip as the Essence (TPA6120) and also performs superbly driving the HD650s.post #4 of 1310/10/11 at 4:41pm
I had posted this in a sperate thread, thought Id consolidate.
"As the subject line says, I am looking for the best marriage for my HD 650's.
My headphones are used with my PC. I have an Essence STX and HeadAmp4 currently. However I am under the impression there is much more I could squeeze out of my 650's. If you had $250 to spend on the problem, where would you spend your money. I was considering the Maverick D1 http://www.mav-audio.com/store/index.php/tube-magic-dac-d1.html, but I wanted to consult Head-Fi before I took that leap.
So what i am gathering Willakan is that there isn't much improvment I could get since I have the STX?post #5 of 1310/10/11 at 4:46pm
For $250? Save your money, stick with your card. Maybe in the future get a pre-built Objective2 amp, but that would be most useful for you with low impedance headphones.
I'm in agreement with Willakan. I've not heard of a better product in the price range (objectively anyway) than the Essence STX, especially for high impedance headphones.post #6 of 1310/10/11 at 4:57pmpost #7 of 1310/10/11 at 6:15pmThread Starter
I thought I read somewhere the ST has better driver than STX, or does that not justify the high/low impedance issue? So, you guys are saying the e7 e9 combo is good enoug to drive the hd650? Not like I won't take your words for it, but I just want to hear more inputs. Thanks :)post #8 of 1310/10/11 at 7:08pm
i'm selling a pro-ject headbox se ii right now, works great with the 650s and drives them really well, bass is strong, details are nice, and they get loud enough to cause hearing damage. when i bought them, the box even had hd 650s in the pic lolpost #9 of 1310/11/11 at 5:43amThread Starter
If it's 50 bucks I'll try it lol given it works XD
Quote:post #10 of 1310/11/11 at 6:32amFor the HD650s I would get a more neutral amp/DAC. Also, if you're getting a USB DAC/amp, than you will bypass the sound card completely, meaning the actual sound card is near redundant.Lots of people recommend the E7/E9 combo for it, but I haven't had any experience with the hd650s, so don't take my word for it. I would recommend talking to someone who has had experience with the Fiio E9 and E7 as with the 650s.post #11 of 1310/25/11 at 3:18pmpost #12 of 1311/6/11 at 12:12am
I currently have HD650 with E7/E9 combo, and I was simply blown away (FYI HD650 was my first "audiophile phone," so there could be some heavy bias).
Also, is it true that there are supposedly "silent upgrades" done on "old" HD650 to remove the veil on "newer" HD650?post #13 of 1311/6/11 at 2:33pmThread Starter
Thank you guys for the replies! I bought the Asus Essence ST and HT Omega Calro Halo and tried out both with my HD650. In the end, I returned the ST and kept the Claro Halo. For the Claro Halo's sound being more full and fun and the better connection to my onkyo 609 receiver.
- DAC/Amp for HD650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Lake People G109 / G103 thread 17 seconds ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 19 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 47 seconds ago
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC 57 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › DT 880 No sound in left driver 2 minutes ago
- › Bicycle-Fi! 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for Cans that do Rock Better than the HD600s... 5 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Bass Slam...Fact or Fiction? 6 minutes ago
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by kingpage
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Skullcandy INK'D Earbuds (Green) by Bassbanger101
- › Q-Audio French Silk Cable by WNBC
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by boombox589
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi